CHOCOLATE MINT CAKE WITH NUTTY ICING
For the cake (cake pan size: 15 cm in diameter and 5 cm in height)
125 g sugar
40 g cocoa
1 tbs chopped dried mint leaves
3 whole eggs
30 g flour (substitute for 30 g almond flour for lighter consistency)
30 ml olive oil
150 ml heavy cream
1 tsp sugar (add more if using sugarless instant coffee)
100-150 g chopped/minced mixed nuts
Whole nuts for decoration
1. Mix sugar and cocoa in a mixing bowl.
2. Beat in whole eggs.
3. Beat in olive oil and vanila oil.
4. Fold in flour or almond flour.
5. Pour the batter into a greased cake pan and bake in preheated oven at 170 C for 35 min
6. After the cake is ready, cool it in the pan for 30 min and unmould onto a rack.
7. Half the cake into two discs and remove uneven surface with knife if necessary.
1. Whisk heavy cream and sugar at low speed and gradually increase the speed when the cream has started to get thicker.
2. Keep whisking until the cream has stiffened.
3. Fold in 2/3 of the chopped nuts and stir to combine.
4. Cover the rim of a plate with aluminium foil leaving the plate completely covered when the cake is placed on it.
5. Place one disc of the cake on the plate and spread the icing generously on its surface.
6. Stack the iced layer with the other disc and repeat the icing process.
7. Ice the side of the cake with the remaining cream.
8. Sprinkle over remaining chopped nuts and whole nuts on top and decorate the side with the whole nuts.