Gratin Dauphinois--Scalloped Potatoes
I like to use organic potatoes, this way I don't have to peel
them. The nutritious benefits of potatoes are concentrated in the skin.
8 medium size organic rose potatoes, washed, dried and sliced
Sea salt, to taste
cups Parmesan or Swiss cheese, shredded
1 cup creme
1 1/2 cups lowfat or whole milk
cup more of milk
1 large egg, beaten
- Oil a 9 x 13 dish.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place one layer of the sliced potatoes on the bottom of oiled dish.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the layer and then a pinch of garlic
powder (1/4 tsp).
- Spread 1/4 cup of the cheese over the potatoes.
- Repeat steps 3-5 until all the potatoes are used or until you have
1/2" of space left in your dish. You should have 4-5 layers.
- Mix 1 1/2 cup of mix with the crême fraiche and pour over the
- Sprinkle with the leftover cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour
- In a bowl mix in the additional milk with the beaten egg, add a
pinch of salt and carefully pour over the baked dish.
- Return to the oven for another 10 minutes. A golden crust should
have formed on top.
- Remove from the stove and let cool at least 10 minutes before
http://www.artsy-foodie.com © Artsy-Foodie 2010 All rights Reserved