Anna Oehlmann - TREK - Wood County - Edited by Vickie Mohnacky
This project provides opportunities to explore design. Designing is a high-order concept but something that everyone does every day.
- Math: M.O.1.3.5 (first grade) Create and describe symmetrical designs
- Math: M.O.4.3.4 (fourth grade) Identify and create a two-dimensional designs with one line of symmetry
- Math:5.3.3 (fifth grade) Create a design with more than one line of symmetry
- Math 6.3.4 (sixth grade) Create designs using line and rotational symmetry
- Math 8.3.4.(eighth grade) Create geometric patterns including tiling, art design, tessellations and scaling using transformations (rotations, reflections, translations) and predict results of combining, subdividing, and changing shapes of plane figures and solids.
- Social Studies: SS.4.E.2 (fourth grade) Analyze communication techniques that impact consumer choices.
- 21st Century Learning Skills and Technology Tools 21C.O.5-8.1.LS3
- 21st Century Learning Skills and Technology Tools 21C.O.5-8.1.TT4
Ask students to read this article, "The Importance of Design - Can You Read This At 60 MPH?"
Activity 1. Collect some examples of advertisement aimed at a specific group of people. Examine the design of the advertisements. Discuss "Aristotle's Appeals" (Logos: the appeal to logic and reason; Pathos: the appeal to emotion; Ethos: the appeal of one's character - reliability or trustworthiness of the speaker/writer.)
Identify and chart the advertisements according to the three appeals. Analyze the persuasive appeals made by the advertisements. TechSteps: The Rhetorical Triangle. (SK0)
Activity 2. Students design a fish with basic fish information. Also, see attachments for worksheet.
Activity 3. "Behind the Designs: What Makes a Good Magazine Cover?" Thinkfinity - Smithsonian's History Explorer.
Activity 4. Students create a design using this online interactive. http://www.boardmakerachieve.com/Activity/478106/create-your-own-pattern
Activity 4. Students choose appropriate fonts for presentation slides. View presentation. TechSteps project on creating MS powerpoint slides "Trading Cards" (Gr. 2)
Activity 5. Paper Quilts Thinkfinity - Illuminations. In this unit, students investigate fractional parts of the whole and use translations, reflections, rotations, and line symmetry to make four-part quilt squares. Teams of students make paper quilts from squares they have designed. Each team presents its quilt design to the class and describes how they arrived at the design. The teams analyze the different quilt designs and discuss the numerical and geometrical similarities and differences among them. There are many chances to integrate Social Studies and Art in this unit.
Activity 6. Students analysis and organize visual information Formal Visual Analysis; Elements and Principles of Composition Thinkfinity - ArtsEdge (Gr. 5-8)
Activity 7. Students design a roller coaster:Design a roller coaster link: http://kids.discovery.com/games/build-play/build-a-coaster
Activity 8. Students design a skateboard:
Design a skateboard link: http://www.brighthubeducation.com/lesson-plans-grades-3-5/128443-snowbard-design-art-lesson/?cid=parsely_rec
Activity 9. Kinetic Typepography Project:What is Graphic Design? http://edexchange.adobe.com/posts/e83fbed75b
Activity 10. Game Design. Students will learn computer programming through game design. KUDO
Students create a logo for a new business.
Student design a game using KUDO.