[1] Place‎ > ‎

3 Catalogue


The Poetics of Place:

Industrial South Wales


Newport Museum and Art Gallery

John Wilson, Guest Curator

2004 - 2007







Catalogue | The Poetics of Place

The following catalogue is a selection of works from the permanent collection of the Newport Museum and Art Gallery. Works are listed chronologically. All images areCopyright: Newport Museum and Art Gallery.

The images reproduced below are low quality snapshots taken from the exhibition hanging for basic reference use.


VIEW

The catalogue may be viewed as:


PETTS, John | The Cage | 1949




Oil on canvas, 510 x 760

Donated in 1949 by the Contemporary Art Society for Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery.



LEE, Marjorie Orpin | Valleys Scene | ca. 1950





Ink on paper, 212 x 317

Donated in 1998 by Jeremy Duncan, Cheltenham per John Kelly, Newport.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery

Married name, Marjorie Gaylard




YOUNGMAN, Nan | Steelworks, Ebbw Vale | 1951



Oil on board, 615 x 815

Donated in 2002 by the Arts Council of Wales

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery




YOUNGMAN, Nan | Rhondda Saturday | 1953



Oil on canvas, 457 x 635

Donated in 1957 by the Contemporary Art Society for Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



BARNES, Maurice | Dowlais Top | ca 1953



Watercolour on paper, 0000 x 0000

Exhibited in Arts Council exhibition of Contemporary Welsh Painting and Sculpture 1953/54

Donated in 1997 by Mrs. Barnes.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



BARNES, Maurice | Industrial Landscape with Red Tram ca 1960



Watercolour on paper, 390 x 570

Exhibited in 1997 at Newport Museum and Art Gallery.

Purchased in 1997 from Mrs. Barnes.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



BURTON, Charles | Back from the Club | 1954



Oil painting on canvas, 760 x 640

Exhibited at National Eisteddfod, Ystradgynlais in 1954

Donated in 2002 by the Arts Council of Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



PRICE, Rhys | Coal Carrier | ca 1955



Oil on canvas, 510 x 610

Donated in 1957 by the Contemporary Art Society for Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



KOPPEL, Heinz | Lovers’ Lane (Dowlais Top) | 1955



Oil painting on canvas, 620 x 1025

Donated in 2002 by the Arts Council of Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



CHAPMAN, George | View in Merthyr Tydfil | 1957



Oil painting on canvas, 990 x1310

Exhibited at National Eisteddfod, Aberdare in 1957

Donated in 2002 by the Arts Council of Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



GODDARD, John | Backs of Houses, Llandaff | 1957



Oil painting on board, 1010 x 400

Purchased in 1997 from the artist.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



TARR, James | Valley Pit, Bargoed | 1960



Watercolour on paper, 393 x 559

Purchased in 1960 from the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition, London.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



JONES, Terry | Death of a Town, Blaenavon | ca 1960-65



Oil on canvas, 965 x 760

Donated in 2000 by the Contemporary Art Society for Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



DAVID, Colin | Viaduct in the Valley | 1965




Oil on canvas, 630 x 900

Purchased in 1965 from the artist.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



ZOBOLE, Ernest | Valley I | ca 1965



Oil on hardboard, 1520 x 1220

Donated in 1975 by the Contemporary Art Society for Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



ZOBOLE, Ernest | Landscape at Night I | 1978


Watercolour medium, 340 x 455

Purchased in 1978 from the Welsh Arts Council’s Oriel Gallery, Cardiff.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



ZOBOLE, Ernest | Landscape Painting | 1981


Oil painting on canvas, 1520 x 2135

Purchased in 1981 from the Dark Hills and Heavy Clouds exhibition at the Mostyn Art Gallery, Llandudno. Grant aided by the Museums and Galleries Commission, London.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



ZOBOLE, Ernest | Looking Out I | 1986




Mixed media on paper on paper, 1310 x 1030

Donated in 1986 by the artist.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



ZOBOLE, Ernest | In the House | 1986




Oil painting on canvas, 1520 x 1830

Purchased in 1986 from the Recent Paintings by Ernest Zobole exhibition at Newport Museum and Art Gallery. Grant aided by the Museums and Galleries Commission, London.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



CRABTREE, Jack | Landscape with Pithead and Flowers | 1972




Oil painting on panel, 890 x 890

Purchased in 1972 from a 56 Group exhibition at Newport.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



CRABTREE, Jack | Landscape with Pithead | 1974


Oil painting on panel, 410 x 450

Purchased in 1979 from the Face to Face exhibition at Newport Museum and Art Gallery. Grant aided by the Museums and Galleries Commission, London.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



CRABTREE, Jack | Thomas | 1978


Pencil on paper, 520 x 760

Purchased in 1979 from the Face to Face exhibition at Newport Museum and Art Gallery. Grant aided by the Museums and Galleries Commission, London.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



CRABTREE, Jack | In the Showers | 1978




Oil on canvas, 1220 x 1220

Purchased in 1979 from the Face to Face exhibition at Newport Museum and Art Gallery. Grant aided by the Museums and Galleries Commission, London.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



EVANS, Nicholas | In the Coalface | 1978




Oil painting on board, 1220 x 1220

Donated in 2002 by the Arts Council of Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



CARPANINI, David | Today is only Tomorrow’s Yesterday | 1979




Oil on canvas, 1070 x 1070

The location is the mining village of Abergwynfi, where the artist’s grandparents lived.

Purchased in 1980 from the Business Art Gallery, London.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



WILLIAMS, Kenneth | Llanwern Steelworks | 1979




Pastel drawing on paper, 310 x 420

Purchased in 1979 from Newport and Monmouthshire Art and Craft Society exhibition at Newport Museum and Art Gallery.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery



GANZ, Valerie | Dai Deacon | ca 1984




Oil on canvas, 760 x 610

Donated in 1985 by the Contemporary Art Society for Wales.

Copyright Newport Museum and Art Gallery





Comments