Welcome Findley Art Literacy Volunteers!
This website is for Art Literacy Volunteers at Findley Elementary School.
- Here we will keep our Training and Classroom Presentation Calendar updated,
- We will post Presentation and Project Documents for you, as well as
- Information about various Findley Art Lit Volunteering opportunities.
- If you are interested in Volunteering, please fill in our Contact Form by clicking on Sign Up to Volunteer.
- Do you need an email list of art lit volunteers in your classroom? Would you like more information about Findley's Art Literacy program? If so,
2018 -- 2019
Art Literacy Year at a Glance:Artists, Training dates & Project Leads
Beatrix Potter: Wed. October 3rd @ 9:00 am
- (John Gierach, project lead)
Gianlorenzo Bernini: Wed. November 7th @ 9:00 am
- (Christa Brask, project lead...:-))
Vincent Van Gogh: Wed. January 9th @ 9:00 am
- (Aviva Kuperus, project lead)
African Textiles: Wed. February 13th @ 9:00 am
- (Amy Heang, project lead)
Maxfield Parrish: Wed. April 10th @ 9:00 am
- (Lori Dobbin, project lead)
Jan Vermeer: Wed. May 8th @ 9:00 am
- (Anne McCauley, project lead)
We Believe Art Literacy:
- Helps students to think creatively and problem solve, both which help prepare them for the future.
- Helps students learn how to observe, something naturalists, climatologists, writers and doctors need to know how to do.
- Encourages students to form mental images - an ability chemists, engineers, architects, designers and inventors use to think up new ideas!
- Celebrates many perspectives. Students learn to value diverse views and cultures, something ever important in a global society.
- Has the unique ability to communicate ideas and emotions of the human spirit, connecting us to our history, traditions and heritage.
- Helps students to realize there are many ways to see and interpret the world.
Art Literacy Overview
Since 1979, the Beaverton School District is home to an exceptional volunteer-run elementary and middle school art education program called Art Literacy.
The district's Art Literacy curriculum at present is based on more than 100 artist-inspired lessons, including European masters, renowned American artists, cultural arts, some living and local artists.
Findley's Art Literacy program consists of six different lessons presented throughout the year. Morning volunteer trainings are scheduled for each lesson to learn about the upcoming artist-inspired projects.
In the classroom, 'lead' and 'assisting' volunteers work together to teach about the featured artist and assist in the art-making process, resulting in unique and creative student art productions to display and take home.
No previous artistic experience is required and all materials are provided.
All volunteers must have an mVP profile.