Arjan Wardekker is an interdisciplinary environmental scientist with a background in both social and natural sciences. He's currently based at Utrecht University, working as a Senior Researcher / Project Leader at the Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development, dept. Environmental Sciences & dept. Environmental Governance. He's also a Research Fellow of the Earth System Governance Project and conducting freelance work as an Independent Scholar.My work focuses on 'Resilience & climate change adaptation under uncertainty' (e.g. impacts, framing, strategies & options), particularly in relation to cities and urbanising regions (e.g. metropolitan deltas). I'm currently leading a small team of students and researchers to develop this topic as my main research line.
Secondary interest developed over the past 12 years as a scientist relate to the broader fields of ‘dealing with uncertain risks’ and 'urban studies', such as emerging risks and urban innovations, futures & vision development.
Previously, I've worked with among others the Health Council of the Netherlands, Utrecht University (dept. Science, Technology & Society), RIVM, and the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (MNP/PBL).
- Urban and regional resilience
- Climate change (particularly impacts & adaptation; e.g. water management, health, urban areas)
- Uncertainty & risk (analysis, communication, perception, management/policy)
- Environment & health, emerging risks, methodology & tools
View my short CV at LinkedIn, my Google Scholar profile, and my UU webpage.
A list of my publications can be found on the Publications page.
- Wardekker, Arjan (2016). "Framing as social uncertainty in building urban climate resilience". Poster presented at NA16.
- Wardekker, Arjan (2016). "Resilience principles as a tool for reflecting on climate resilience and resilient heritage". Presentation at NA16, SAMKUL-UC4A side event.
- Thissen, Wil, Jan Kwakkel, Marjolein Mens, Jeroen van der Sluijs, Sara
Stemberger, Arjan Wardekker, Diana Wildschut (2017). "Dealing with uncertainties in fresh water supply: Experiences in the Netherlands". Water Resources Management, 31 (2), pp. 703-725.
- Wardekker, J. Arjan, Sara Stemberger, Diana Wildschut, Jeroen P. van der Sluijs (2016). "Screening regional management options for their impact on climate resilience: An approach and case study in the Venen-Vechtstreek wetlands in the Netherlands". SpringerPlus, 5, art. no. 750.
- Van der Sluijs, Jeroen P., J. Arjan Wardekker (2015). "Critical appraisal of assumptions in chains of model calculations used to project local climate impacts for adaptation decision support – the case of Baakse Beek". Environmental Research Letters, 10, art. no. 045005.
- Wardekker, J.A., A. de Jong, J.M. Knoop, J.P. van der Sluijs (2010). "Operationalising a resilience approach to adapting an urban delta to uncertain climate changes". Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 77 (6), pp. 987-998.
- Wardekker, J.A. (2011). "Climate change impact assessment and adaptation under uncertainty". PhD dissertation. Utrecht University, Utrecht.
- De Boer, J., J.A. Wardekker, J.P. van der Sluijs (2010), "Frame-based guide to situated decision-making on climate change". Global Environmental Change, 20 (3), pp. 502-510.
- Wardekker, J.A., A. de Jong, L. van Bree, W.C. Turkenburg, J.P. van der Sluijs (2012). "Health risks of climate change: An assessment of uncertainties and its implications for adaptation policies". Environmental Health, 11, art. no. 67.
- Runhaar, H., H. Mees, A. Wardekker, J. van der Sluijs, P. Driessen (2012). "Adaptation to climate change-related risks in Dutch urban areas: Stimuli and barriers". Regional Environmental Change, 12 (4), pp. 777-790.
- Wardekker, J.A., J.P. van der Sluijs, P.H.M. Janssen, P. Kloprogge, A.C. Petersen (2008). "Uncertainty communication in environmental assessments: Views from the Dutch science-policy interface". Environmental Science & Policy, 11 (7), pp. 627-641.