01 Welcome

Thank you for your interest in taking a Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) exam in Arizona. To become a ranked BJCP beer judge, one must pass at least two exams: 
  1. The online entrance exam (a pass/fail exam of 200 questions in 60 minutes)
  2. The Beer Judging exam (Judging 6 beers in 90 minutes) 
Judges can achieve the ranks of Recognized and Certified Beer Judge by passing the online exam and the beer judging exam. To advance to the National rank or higher, judges must also take the BJCP Written Proficiency Exam (20 TF and 5 written essay questions in 90 minutes). The BJCP also currently offers a Mead Exam to grant a Mead Judge endorsement to existing judges or non-BJCP members only interested in Mead judging. 

Please click the links on the left to see information about upcoming exams in Arizona, qualifications to sit for each exam, costs and training classes. Here is the overview of upcoming exams in Arizona. If demand exceeds one tasting exam per year, I will attempt to schedule more. 

May 21, 2016 (Exam is full.) 
January 21, 2017
January 20, 2018

Offered Quarterly. Nonrefundable Payment of $25 to reserve your spot required one month before exam date. Please contact me (my email is below) if you are interested in taking the BJCP Written Exam. More info on the new quarterly exam format can be found here: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Quarterly_Exam.pdf. You must email me to sign up for the written exam at least 6 weeks before the exam date! 

Current Quarterly Written Exam dates:
  • May 7, 2016
  • July 16, 2016
  • October 22, 2016
  • March 11, 2017
No dates currently scheduled. If interested, email me. When I see enough interest in another mead exam, I'll schedule one. 

Payments
Payment can be made via Paypal or certified funds (e.g. cashier's check or money order) to me personally. The BJCP collects 70% of all exam fees. The other 30% helps cover the costs of exam beers, copies, postage and other administrative tasks. Often times, this 30% does not even cover all exam costs. So, when paying via Paypal, you are responsible for the transaction fees. I must receive the full deposit for your exam fee ($40 for tasting or $25 for written). 

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I created this chart to help illustrate the exam process and rankings: 



Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
BJCP Grand Master Judge
BJCP Associate Exam Director