5% Final Exam
LEARNING STRATEGIES 2014-2015
25% Weekly Grade Check/Goal Setting Homework
25% Use of Planner 20% Professionalism 25% Daily Skill Development
Weekly Grade Check/Goal Setting Assignment: 25% of grade
- Required weekly to be completed for homework
- Done online using teacher website
- Review with parents every week before submitting to teacher
- WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO EVERY WEEK?
- Record grade percentages in every class on the online form
- Show my grades to my parents
- Set goals for the week
- Check teacher websites for every class, update planner
- List upcoming Project due dates/Tests for that week
Use of Planner: 25% of grade
- HOW AM I GRADED?
- 10 POINTS: Complete entire online form on weekend by Monday @ 7:30 AM
- 8 POINTS: Complete entire online form by Monday @ 12:00 AM (midnight)
- 7 POINTS: Complete entire online form by Tuesday @ 12:00 AM (midnight)
- 6 POINTS: Complete entire online form by Wednesday @ 12:00 AM
- 5 POINTS: Complete entire online form by Thursday @ 12:00 AM
- 4 POINTS: Complete entire online form in class on Friday with assistance
Professionalism: 20% of grade
- Visible at beginning of class during group calendar updates
- Assignments written on the day they are due INCLUDING multiple deadlines
- Write assignments down when given, not just minutes before planner check
- Make attempt to break up large assignments into smaller, manageable pieces to avoid becoming overwhelmed
Daily Skill Development Worksheet: 25% of grade
- ON TIME to class, seated when bell rings, ready to start
- Absent after 15 minutes. Tardy after bell rings
- Standing outside in the hall eating or drinking after bell? Tardy
- Detentions can/will be given for repeat offenders
- Late to class 5X, Discipline Referral: Meet with Administrator
- NO FOOD OR DRINK in the classroom, WATER IS OK.
- You may not store open food and beverages in any area of room
- Late to class if you have to leave room to remove food and drinks
- RESPECTFUL to other people and property
- PROPER USE OF COMPUTERS
- Ask before using the computer OR printing
- No watching videos, charging anything, listening to music or playing games
- Save your work to student folder or create Google documents
- Use same computer each time if at all possible
- REMAIN SEATED until bell rings
- NO HEADPHONES WHILE TEACHER IS TALKING, completely off of head
- Volume low when in use
- Not to be shared with others
- Completed in class (Study skills, transition and literacy activities)
- Reinforcement of new concepts presented in general education classes
- Data collection of IEP goals
- Complete daily activities, sheets graded weekly
- These are in class assignments which cannot be made up due to absences, unless school related.
- Write ABSENT on sheet when you return.
- Turn off before entering room
- ABSOLUTELY no text messaging in class
- Ask permission BEFORE class begins to have phone on silent if expecting a call
1st offense: Warning: Sign folder in classroom
2nd offense: Phone returned at end of period: Sign folder in classroom
3rd offense: Pick up phone from classroom at end of day: Sign folder in classroom
4th offense: Pick up phone from main office after school: Discipline ReferralKING COUNTY LIBRARY: www.kcls.org
TEST TAKING ACCOMMODATIONS (FOR A LETTER GRADE):
- With Library Card you can:
- Reserve a computer to use from home or school for a specific time
- Reserve a book to pick up when it becomes available
- Print for free: PERFECT FOR ASSIGNMENTS NEEDING COLOR COPIES
- 75 copies each week ( 10 can be color)
- In advance, ask Mrs. Schneider, Mrs. Fine or Mrs. Burnett to pick up your test from your teacher
- Report to 2103 after checking in with your teacher
- Test must be finished on the day it is given
- Have a reader accommodation in your IEP? Ask in advance of test to have someone available
- NO HALL PASSES DURING A TEST, CELL PHONES MUST BE PUT AWAY
- Tests will be returned by staff at the end of each day to your teacher
- Excused absence on day you arranged to take test in different location?
- Day for day makeup schedule.
- Make up during learning strategies class period only
Unexcused absence on day you were supposed to take the test? You cannot make-up test.
- Test will be held three days pending excused absence and then returned to teacher incomplete
PASS/FAIL GRADING SYSTEM: (For a grade of a P or F)
- YOU DON’T WANT TO TAKE TEST ON DAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO?
- Test will be returned to teacher with a note on it saying that you refused to take the test
- You will be asked to sign the form documenting your decision
- Have general education teacher email us or send note with you if you arranged an extension
- If you are allowed to use notes on test for a letter grade? (example: Material Science)
- You must bring your own notes. You may not share with other students.
TEST TAKING ACCOMMODATIONS FOR A PASS/FAIL GRADE
- MUST have a 51% or higher grade.
- LATE WORK CAN BE TURNED IN
- P grade will earn credit and satisfy graduation requirements as specified in IEP
- Doesn’t impact GPA.
- Signed parent permission or email is required. Must stay on until end of semester.
- P grade can be retaken for a letter grade
- Community colleges and technical colleges accept at this point in time
- 4 year colleges have reported that they count a high school P grade as a D during admission
- Scantron Tests: Students work to look up answers in books, notes, etc. on their own as well as with help when they get stuck on a specific question.
- Fill in the blank, essay, math tests:
- IN PENCIL: Work done without help
- IN PEN: Student received help
WHY?: It shows the classroom teacher exactly how much was done independently.
LATE WORK ACCOMMODATION: (Letter grade in class)
- Tests must be started on the test date and if necessary completed over several days if effort is shown
- Students are encouraged to complete tests independently using their books, notes and computer as an additional opportunity to learn the material.
- Late work will be accepted IF:
- It is in your IEP as an accommodation.
- What is the BEST way to let a teacher know?
- Email the night BEFORE it is due letting the teacher know that you will need an extension. CC: Learning Strategies teacher
To: Classroom teacher
CC: Learning Strategies teacher
Subject: Need an extension on homework
I will need a one day extension on p. 116.
- “But my teacher said I could turn it in late when I asked.”
- The best way is email. Go to Library, come into Learning Strategies class or 2103 before school if you didn’t email last night. Frequently when you ask the teacher at the beginning of class there is confusion as to what was agreed upon. Get into the habit of emailing the teacher so everyone has the written documentation.