LEARNING STRATEGIES 2015-2016
Required text: Planner or an electronic system that will be used every single day. On the first day of school every student will be given a school planner if they don't have one. Student's will be expected to use them and bring them to class daily. Student accounts will be charged if your parents didn't already pay for one on-line. This year they are $8. Scholarships are available upon request and completion of a district form I can give you. Planners don't have to be paid for until the end of the year. The bookkeeper downstairs can credit your account.
Labeled notebook or accordion file to store worksheets for each class separately.
Pen and Pencil
Calculator that is not your phone.
USB or other way to store work completed on computer
Student Email: Do you have one just for school and professional use that is not bombarded with spam and Facebook notifications? I send you weekly emails and many of you say that you never check your email. Give some serious thought to creating a professional sounding account now with your name that you can use forever and will check. Other teachers will be wanting to send you things and your turnitin.com account will want one.
Check your student profile and see what student email is used. I can help you change it to a new one you will check.
Grading: 10% Final Exam
30% Weekly Grade Check/Goal Setting On-line Assignment
30% Use of Planner Daily
30% Daily Skill Development Worksheet
Weekly Grade Check/Goal Setting Assignment: 30% of grade
- Required weekly to be completed for homework
- What happens if it doesn't work? Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org. Unfortunately there will be times it doesn't work for you. Using google chrome sometimes helps and using your phone is also an option.
- You receive an email weekly reminding you to complete this.
- Done online using my teacher website: Find your class period.
- Review with parents every week before submitting to teacher
- WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO EVERY WEEK?
- Record grade percentages in every class on the online form
- Show my grades to my parents
- Set goals for the week
- Check teacher websites for every class, update planner
- List upcoming Project due dates/Tests for that week
Use of Planner: 30% of grade
- HOW AM I GRADED? 4 points total
- 4 POINTS: Complete entire online form on weekend by Monday @ 7:30 AM (100%)
- 3 POINTS: Complete after Monday after 7:30 AM until Thursday @ midnight (75%)
- 2 POINTS: Complete Friday (50%)
- 0 POINTS: Don't turn it in by Friday midnight (0)
Daily: Have planner out when the bell rings
Someone will stamp your daily worksheet - 5 points daily/25 per week
Weekly: Fill in at least 5 assignments on the day they are due in your planner.
Have an adult stamp your daily worksheet by Friday 5X - 25 points week
- Visible at beginning of class during group calendar updates
- Assignments written on the day they are due INCLUDING multiple deadlines
- Write assignments down when given, not just minutes before planner check
- Make attempt to break up large assignments into smaller, manageable pieces to avoid becoming overwhelmed
- " I have tried and they don't work for me." I will help you to learn to love them.
- "Can I use something other than a paper planner?" Yes. But, you must use it daily. It must be out on your desk when the bell rings and turned on. If you don't consistently use this method you will be required to use a paper planner that the school provides.
Daily Skill Development Worksheet: 30% of grade
- Completed in class during first 15 minutes (Study skills, transition and literacy activities)
- Reinforcement of new concepts presented in general education classes
- Data collection of IEP goals
- Complete daily activities, sheets graded weekly. Sheets are not returned.
- These are in class assignments which cannot be made up due to absences, unless school related. If you are on a field trip write that on the sheet.
- Write ABSENT on sheet when you return.
- 25 points per week/5 per day. If you are late to class you cannot make up the work.
- Usually collected every two weeks. Printed double-sided, one side per week.
- You can keep in notebook or in hanging file in back of room.
- Forget to turn in sheet? All late work is accepted for full points.
- ON TIME to class, seated when bell rings, ready to start
- Absent after 15 minutes. Tardy after bell rings
- Standing outside in the hall eating or drinking after bell? Tardy
- Detentions can/will be given for repeat offenders
- Late to class 5X, Discipline Referral: Meet with Administrator
- NO FOOD OR DRINK in the classroom, WATER IS OK.
- You may not store open food and beverages in any area of room
- Late to class if you have to leave room to remove food and drinks
- RESPECTFUL to other people and property
- PROPER USE OF COMPUTERS
- Ask before using the computer OR printing
- No watching videos, listening to music or playing games
- Save your work to student folder or create Google documents
- Use same computer each time if at all possible
- REMAIN SEATED until bell rings
- Can I listen to music? NO HEADPHONES WHILE TEACHER IS TALKING, completely off of head
- Volume low when in use
- Not to be shared with others
- Sign out under projection screen on clipboard
- Leave phone in metal box on teacher podium
- Over 15 minutes you are absent
- Not during first 30 minutes
- Yes, of course there are exceptions that can be discussed
- Turn off before entering room and put away. No you shouldn't be checking it all period.
- ABSOLUTELY NO TAKING PHOTOS or WATCHING VIDEOS DURING CLASS TIME. That means even when waiting to leave.
- What if I want to use it during class to look something up or read? Please ask and I am usually totally OK with it.
- Must be left on teacher podium/ in metal box, before using restroom
- CHARGING STATION BY SINK. TEACHER NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IT WHILE CHARGING
- ABSOLUTELY no text messaging in class, UNLESS YOU ASK.
- Ask permission BEFORE class begins to have phone on silent if expecting a call
1st offense: Warning
2nd offense: Phone returned at end of period
3rd offense: Pick up phone from classroom at end of day
4th offense: Pick up phone from main office after school: Discipline ReferralKING COUNTY LIBRARY: www.kcls.org
TEST TAKING ACCOMMODATIONS (FOR A LETTER GRADE):
- With Library Card you can:
- Reserve a computer to use from home or school for a specific time
- Reserve a book to pick up when it becomes available
- Print for free: PERFECT FOR ASSIGNMENTS NEEDING COLOR COPIES
- 75 copies each week ( 10 can be color)
- In advance, ask Mrs. Schneider, Mrs. Fine, Mr. Chinworth, Mr. Collins or Mrs. Burnett to pick up your test from your teacher
- Report to 2103 after checking in with your teacher
- Test must be finished on the day it is given
- Have a reader accommodation in your IEP? Ask in advance of test to have someone available
- NO HALL PASSES DURING A TEST, CELL PHONES MUST BE PUT AWAY AND IF YOU MUST USE RESTROOM CELL PHONE STAYS IN 2103.
- Tests will be returned by staff at the end of each day to your teacher
- Excused absence on day you arranged to take test in different location?
- Day for day makeup schedule.
- Make up during learning strategies class period only
Unexcused absence on day you were supposed to take the test? You cannot make-up test.
- Test will be held three days pending excused absence and then returned to teacher incomplete
PASS/FAIL GRADING SYSTEM: (For a grade of a P or F)
- YOU DON’T WANT TO TAKE TEST ON DAY YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO?
- Test will be returned to teacher with a note on it saying that you refused to take the test UNLESS you get approval from Learning Strategies teacher.
- You will be asked to sign the form documenting your decision
- Have general education teacher email us or send note with you if you arranged an extension
- If you are allowed to use notes on test for a letter grade? (example: Material Science)
- You must bring your own notes. You may not share with other students.
TEST TAKING ACCOMMODATIONS FOR A PASS/FAIL GRADE
- MUST have a 51% or higher grade.
- LATE WORK CAN BE TURNED IN
- P grade will earn credit and satisfy graduation requirements as specified in IEP
- Doesn’t impact GPA.
- Signed parent permission or email is required. Must stay on until end of semester.
- P grade can be retaken for a letter grade next year.
- Community colleges and technical colleges accept at this point in time
- 4 year colleges have reported that they count a high school P grade as a D during admission
- Scantron Tests: Students work to look up answers in books, notes, etc. on their own as well as with help when they get stuck on a specific question.
- Fill in the blank, essay, math tests:
- IN PENCIL: Work done without help
- IN PEN: Student received help
WHY?: It shows the classroom teacher exactly how much was done independently.
LATE WORK ACCOMMODATION: (Letter grade in class)
- Tests must be started on the test date and if necessary completed over several days if effort is shown
- Students are encouraged to complete tests independently using their books, notes and computer as an additional opportunity to learn the material.
- Late work will be accepted IF:
- It is in your IEP as an accommodation.
- What is the BEST way to let a teacher know?
- Email the night BEFORE it is due letting the teacher know that you will need an extension. CC: Learning Strategies teacher
To: Classroom teacher
CC: Learning Strategies teacher
Subject: Need an extension on homework
I will need a one day extension on p. 116.
- “But my teacher said I could turn it in late when I asked.”
- The best way is email. Go to Library, come into Learning Strategies class or 2103 before school if you didn’t email last night. Frequently when you ask the teacher at the beginning of class there is confusion as to what was agreed upon. Get into the habit of emailing the teacher so everyone has the written documentation.