Design and ideas

Catamaran tested in the lake of Zurich

posted Aug 29, 2011, 6:03 AM by Roberto Maffei

The catamaran has been tested in the lake of Zurich in August 2011.

The feeling was great but the steering system was definitely too weak to go for a test with a Kite.

After 4 days of trial I know the weak points and what I have to change. 

Hope to have time for that soon!



Thanks to Dino Costa for his help and for his suggestions!

Catamaran in water!

posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:15 AM by Roberto Maffei   [ updated Jan 19, 2011, 5:40 AM ]



I've tried the catamaran in the swimming pool of Oerlinkon, Zurich.
At 6.00 am we were in water.

Result of the first test is definitely promising.
Steering system is the only think has to be improved before the test on a lake.

Some more datas about the design:
- length : 3.95 m
- width: 2 m
- total weight: 21,5 kg
- weight of one hull: 5,8 kg
- pressure of the hulls: 150 mbar






Improvement of the catamaran

posted Jan 12, 2011, 10:22 AM by Roberto Maffei   [ updated Jan 12, 2011, 10:29 AM ]



Here we are with some improvement of the inflatable catamaran.

1) hulls airtight
2) hulls much more stable
3) better seat position
4) steering system (actually the weakest point)

On Tuesday 18 we will place it in water! Stay tuned!




First full scale prototype for a catamaran done

posted Dec 14, 2010, 5:20 AM by Roberto Maffei   [ updated Dec 17, 2010, 5:30 AM ]



I've took more than one week to manufacture the first full scale prototype for the kite cat.

The result looks good but it is not because of the following problems:

- tightness of one of the hulls
- stability of the whole system (hulls rotate too much)
- connections of tensairity struts and cable to be improved

Still a lot of work to do!




Spider Tent

posted Dec 6, 2010, 9:41 AM by Roberto Maffei   [ updated Dec 6, 2010, 9:51 AM ]



Here some images of the concept of Spider Tent designed with Grasshopper.











Second moke-up, much better!

posted Nov 11, 2010, 9:17 AM by Roberto Maffei



Here you see some pics of the second moke-up I've done this week.
Improvements are in:
- cutting pattern in 6 panels
- correct arrangement of weldings
- support for the fin
- support for the steel structure





Form next week  I'll start with the full scale model!

Moke-up of the Hull of the kite cat

posted Nov 3, 2010, 4:12 PM by Roberto Maffei



After several trial and one complete day in front of the welding machine, here is the result for the first hull of the catamaran, 1:2 scale

I could control the shape quite well but some details have to be improved.

Anyway, next step is the 1:1 model!






Second design for a tensairity kite cat

posted Oct 20, 2010, 11:55 AM by Roberto Maffei   [ updated Oct 20, 2010, 12:00 PM ]





Designed using Grasshopper - Rhinoceros

Empa's Laboratory

posted Oct 5, 2010, 12:55 PM by Roberto Maffei   [ updated Oct 13, 2010, 3:19 AM ]



Empa's Laboratory



Research about tensairity kite's behaviour (Dino Costa) 

Design for a Tensairity Kite Cat

posted Oct 1, 2010, 8:12 AM by Roberto Maffei   [ updated Oct 1, 2010, 8:24 AM ]



Design for a Tensairity kite cat



Here are some sample of the first idea for a Tensairity kite cat.

Hope it is gonna float, at least!


1-10 of 11

Comments