VINYL HOUSE SHUTTERS - VINYL HOUSE

Vinyl house shutters - Island canopies - Drapery ideas for windows.

Vinyl House Shutters


vinyl house shutters
    shutters
  • (shutter) a hinged blind for a window
  • Close the shutters of (a window or building)
  • Close (a business)
  • (shutter) a mechanical device on a camera that opens and closes to control the time of a photographic exposure
  • (shutter) close with shutters; "We shuttered the window to keep the house cool"
    vinyl
  • Synthetic resin or plastic consisting of polyvinyl chloride or a related polymer, used esp. for wallpapers and other covering materials and for phonograph records
  • A vinyl compound is any organic compound that contains a vinyl group (Preferred IUPAC name ethenyl). Vinyl groups (formula −CH=CH2) are derivatives of ethene, CH2=CH2, with one hydrogen atom replaced with some other group.
  • Of or denoting the unsaturated hydrocarbon radical ?CH=CH2, derived from ethylene by removal of a hydrogen atom
  • a univalent chemical radical derived from ethylene
  • shiny and tough and flexible plastic; used especially for floor coverings
  • Vinyl used as the standard material for phonograph records
    house
  • A building for human habitation, esp. one that is lived in by a family or small group of people
  • The people living in such a building; a household
  • contain or cover; "This box houses the gears"
  • firm: the members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments; "he worked for a brokerage house"
  • a dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families; "he has a house on Cape Cod"; "she felt she had to get out of the house"
  • A family or family lineage, esp. a noble or royal one; a dynasty
vinyl house shutters - Lifetime 6446
Lifetime 6446 15-by-8 Foot Outdoor Storage Shed with Shutters, Windows, and Skylights
Lifetime 6446 15-by-8 Foot Outdoor Storage Shed with Shutters, Windows, and Skylights
Lifetime 8 x 15 Storage Shed, made in the USA. Constructed of two shatter proof windows, two sets of shutters, with side entry door and six skylights for tons of bright light illumination. Shelving system includes four corner shelves, two 90" shelves and two 16" peg strips with tool hooks. Constructed with powder coated steel A-frame roof trusses and internal wall structure of steel-reinforced double polyethylene panels. High grade metal screws ensure secure-fastened assembly. Peak screen vent cap offers additional airflow. Low maintenance features include UV-Protection to help prevent fading and cracking, weather resistant seams help keep interior dry, stain resistant finish is easy to clean and never needs painting. Your yard is a jungle - its time to tame it with this year-round storage unit. 10-year limited warranty through Lifetime Products.

85% (18)
Coleman House
Coleman House
Rev. Isaac Coleman & Rebecca Gray Coleman House, Sandy Ground, Rossville, Staten Island The Reverend Isaac Coleman and Rebecca Gray Coleman house is a vernacular frame structure that can be documented to the mid 19 century. The earliest section is probably older than that and is possibly the earliest extant building surviving from the period when Sandy Ground was a prosperous African-American community on Staten Island. The area’s first African-American residents purchased property in 1828. Their numbers were bolstered in the 1840s and 50s by the arrival from Snow Hill, Maryland on the Chesapeake Bay, of numerous families who were involved in the oyster trade and came to New York to escape harsh laws passed in this slave state prior to the Civil War. Sandy Ground is located in the southern part of Staten Island, not far from the shipping port of Rossville on the Arthur Kill to the north and the prime oyster grounds of Prince’s Bay on the south, and most of its residents were employed in the oyster trade or in farming. Beginning in the 1840s through the early 20 century, this area, called Woodrow, Little Africa, or (more commonly) Sandy Ground, was home to a group of free African Americans who resided here in more than 50 houses. The Sandy Ground community thrived for many years, creating institutions such as the Rossville A.M.E. Zion Church and a local school. It is unclear when the Coleman-Gray House was originally constructed, although it is identified on one of the earliest surviving maps of the area, from 1859. It was occupied at that time by Ephraim Bishop, who arrived from Maryland in 1851. The house was purchased by Isaac Coleman and his wife Rebecca Gray Coleman when he came to Sandy Ground to serve as pastor of the Rossville A.M.E. Zion Church in 1864. Although Isaac Coleman probably lived in the house only one year, the building has been in the possession of descendants of Rebecca Gray Coleman since that time. The house was likely built as a 1 ? story structure, with a single room on each story. The shed roof addition to the east, probably used as a kitchen, was added at some point early in its existence and the two-story, two-bay addition was made on the western side, possibly sometime around the Coleman’s purchase. It is likely that the most recent section of the house, the two-story section on the western side, was added during the late 1880s to accommodate a growing extended family. Throughout this time, the basic form of the house has remained, although these later additions have enlarged the space. More recently, the house has been sided with contemporary materials and the window sash replaced. Its massing, fenestration pattern and siting on a large lot helps it stand out in this recently-developed part of Staten Island and its survival is a remarkable and rare reminder of this very early African-American community. DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS Development of the Community of Sandy Ground The Sandy Ground community was founded on a section of high ground near the center of the southern part of Staten Island, halfway between the well-known oyster beds of Prince’s Bay on the south and the port of Rossville on the Arthur Kill to the north. This area has been known by various names through the years, such as Woodrow, Harrisville or Little Africa, and its center was at the confluence of what is now Woodrow and Bloomingdale Roads. Since this area is located inland, rather than along the shore, and was still wooded in the mid 1800s, it was not seen as desirable and therefore was not expensive. The name Sandy Ground first appears on records dating to 1779 and refers to the sandy soil of the area, particularly good for growing certain crops such as strawberries and asparagus. Staten Island was inhabited for thousands of years by Native Americans. Archaeologist Alanson B. Skinner reported finding evidence of a Woodland Period (2700BP-AD 1500) Native American village at the center of what would become Sandy Ground. While most Native Americans left the island by 1700, a few remained and their descendents could be found on Staten Island as late as the early 1900s. At Sandy Ground, several black families claimed Native American descent and Skinner observed that the Native American tradition of grinding corn with wooden mortars and pestles continued at Sandy Ground into the 1890s. During the colonial period, Staten Island was largely settled by Dutch and Huguenot families with a scattering of English and other Europeans. Many settlers brought white indentured servants or black slaves to the island, with slaves making up between 10 to 23 percent of the population. During the first half of the 19 century Staten Island’s African-American population continued to grow. Some of these people were previously slaves of local residents, while other free blacks chose to settle on Staten Island because land was available and inexpensive. Land ownership records show African-American residents purchas
Hadley House
Hadley House
Fieldston, Riverdale, Bronx Built over the course of three centuries, the house at 5122 Post Road assumed its present form in 1915 when it was remodeled and enlarged to the designs of Dwight James Baum. The central stone portion of the house dating from the eighteenth century, survives in part as one of the oldest houses in the Bronx. The frame wing to the north was built in the early nineteenth century; the frame wing to the south was added by Baum. Baurn also added the porch on the north side of the building and the two entrance porches. The house stands on land that was once part of Philipse family's holdings and the stone portion was probably built by a tenant farmer on the estate. In 1786, William Hadley, a local farmer, bought the property. In 1829, Major Joseph Delafield, an amateur antiquarian with a strong interest in the preservation of old farmhouses, acquired the Hadley farm and rented a portion of the farm and this house to a tenant farmer. In 1909, the Delafield estate began to develop its holdings as Fieldston, a garden suburb. The Hadley House, part of the original subdivision of Delafield's property, was then located at the edge of Fieldston. In 1915, the property was purchased by Willett Skillman who hired Baum to remodel the house. Baurn was One of the country's most prolific and successful architects working in historical styles during the early decades of the twentieth century. Best known for his work in Riverdale and Fieldston, Baurn moved his home and office to Fieldston in 1915. The Hadley House is one of Baurn's earliest buildings in the area. Baurn drew on different aspects of Colonial architecture for the remodeling, treating the garden elevation facing the Old Albany Post Road as a fonnal Georgian facade, and the asymmetrical Post Road elevation in the manner of old Colonial farmhouses. The Hadley House is also an important example of the preservation and interpretation of a Colonial building by an early-twentieth-century American architect. The house remains a private residence. The Hadley House is located on a steeply sloping rectangular lot that extends through the block from Post Road to Old Albany Post Road. On the eastern side of the property are remnants of an historic fieldstone retaining wall, much of it hidden by undergrowth. Built over the course of three centuries, the two-and- one-half-story house assumed its present form in 1915 when it was remodeled to the designs of Dwight James Baum. The oldest portion of the house, dating from the eighteenth century, is stone. The frame wing to its north was built in the early nineteenth cenmry but was extensively remodeled by Baum. The frame kitchen wing on the south side of the building and the porches were added in 1915. Both frame wings were originally clapboarded but are now covered with vinyl siding. The gabled roof, originally shingled, is covered with asphalt felt. The building retains much of the neo-Colonial detailing that Baum created for both the old and twentieth-century parts of the building, including the paneled mu lti-light wood doors and the historic six-over-six wood window sash. All of the historic windows have exterior non-historic vinyl storm sash with non-historic vinyl surrounds. The doors are either partially covered by non-historic exterior storm doors or concealed within enclosed porches. Some of the porch columns were salvaged from the house's nineteenth-century porches; the others are replicas. All of the surviving Baum designed wood window shutters have been moved to the west facade. In Baum's original design the first story shutters were painted white and the upper story louvered blinds were painted a dark color. The stone sections of the building were whitewashed and the clapboards, wooden porches, door and window surrounds, and window sash were painted white, while the doors were a dark color. At present, the vinyl siding is tan, the wood porches, door surrounds, and cornices are cream; the doors, the windows trim, window sash, and shutters are brown. - From the 2000 NYCLPC Landmark Designation Report

vinyl house shutters
Comments