If any of the following statements apply to you, then you may be homeless:

  • You live in a shelter.
  • You live in a car, park, or abandoned building or a place where people normally do not live.
  • You live in a trailer park or camping area because you have nowhere else to go.
  • You live with another family because you’ve lost your housing due to financial issues.
  • You live in a special home for pregnant or parenting teens because there is nowhere else to go.
  • You are a child waiting to be placed in foster care (in limited situations).
  • You are a runaway youth or migratory child living in any of the above situations. 

How you can help your child?

  • Make sure your child attends school every day
  • Read to your child. Even a few minutes every day can make a difference
  • Make education a family priority
  • Help your child develop good study habits
  • Meet with your child's teacher and other school personnel

If you move, you should....
  • Contact the school district's local liaison for homeless education for help in enrolling your child in a new school
    or arranging for your child to continue in his or her former school
  • Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to the new situation
  • Tell the school the date you are leaving and start the transfer of your records
  • Ask for a copy of your child's school records, which include
    • An update transcript
    • The grade your child is in
    • Any important medical information about your child's needs
    • Scores your child made on any standardized test
    • If possible, allow your child to say goodbye to friends and teachers

The Right of Homeless Parent and their Children
  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there
  • Stay in school that he or she was attending before becoming homeless or the school he or she last attended, if that is your choice and it is feasible
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if you do not have all the paperwork, such as your child's school or medical records
  • Access the same special programs and services that are provided to other children, including special education, migrant education and vocational education 
  • Receive the same public education that is provided to other children, including preschool. (Your child cannot be separated from the mainstream school environment because he or she is homeless. He or she cannot be segregated in a separate school, separate programs within a school or separate settings within a school).
If your child is assigned to a school not of your choosing, the school district must explain its decision in writing.  You have the right to appeal the district's decision regarding the school to which your child had been assigned.  Your child has the right to go to the school of your choice while the dispute is being resolved.