DLS Yearbook Job Descriptions
Publisher (DLS Executive Director)
• DLS will be the publisher & owner of the yearbook
• The administration has final say in the design & all deadlines of the book; therefore is responsible for assigning an Executive Editorial Team
• The publisher will help the editorial team:
ü Initiate its work
ü Develop a clear set of expectations
ü Develop problem solving guidelines
ü Identify lines of responsibility & decision making
ü written & visual style requirements for the yearbook
• The role of the PTO should be to provide volunteers to this team based on the positions listed below.
ü Parent volunteers not involved in the PTO are also welcome to participate.
Co-Executive Editor – (Operations)
• Will work directly with the publisher
• Is the exclusive Lifetouch contact
• Responsible for ensuring the yearbook is a proper representation of the school, staff & students
• Will develop the staff & set all deadlines for the publication; if those deadlines are not met the executive editor may choose to reassign the task
• The executive editor can make changes to the publication in order to protect the integrity of both the school & the yearbook staff
• Responsible for motivating & encouraging teamwork among the staff
• The executive editor will be held accountable for the entire publication therefore should be appointed by the publisher
• This person should be educated in or have experience as a project manager and/or volunteer coordinator.
• He/she should have knowledge and experience in the publication process; a plus would be some journalism/communications background and previous experience with the LifeTouch staff and an in depth understanding of the Lifetouch program.
Co-Executive Editor – (Design & Content)
• Will work directly with the Co-Executive Editor (Operations) & Publisher to create a well-designed, consistent publication that gives a fair representation of the DLS community.
• Responsible for the design, layout & content to ensure the book flows as one piece of work.
• This job will include but is not limited to:
ü Page design
• This individuals should be educated or have professional experience in all aspects of publication or comparable credentials.
• Preferably an understanding of the Lifetouch system or that which will be used for the publication.
Copy Editor (Spanish/Mandarin)
• These editors will ensure that all copy meets standards of language precision & style
• They will be the final proof check of all copy for grammatical & spelling errors
• They critically review content & back up the editing of the content editors
• They approach the book as the readers would
• This person should be tech savvy & familiar with students in the class room
• They will help to make sure the yearbook is diverse & broad
• These individuals would be responsible for writing short stories about important events throughout the year
• These stories will be typically assigned by the two top editors but initiative about story ideas is highly encouraged
• This person(s) will need to work with the photographer(s) to make sure stories & photos complement each other
• These individuals will be responsible for the photography of:
• All special event
• Some field trips
• Classroom activity
• Recess & lunch
• The executive editor may ask for sample images from the photographer before assigning this position
• This person is also responsible for identifying people in the photos & writing captions
• A successful publication should have at least one photographer per program & a back-up photographer
• The photographer may collect images from staff or parents, but will need to be qualified to make a judgment call in the use of these photographs
• This person will be in charge of promoting the fundraising aspect of the publication
• They will work closely with the PTO Fundraising Committee
• They will implement the promotions created by the editorial team
• Examples: Messages of inspiration, small advertisements, sponsors.
• This person will be in charge of promoting the yearbook.
• They will announce:
ü Deadlines for book sales
ü Be responsible for sending information home in Friday folders
ü Newsletter & PTO announcements
• He or she will input sales into the system & confirm final yearbook sales
• This person will be in charge of organizing the event at which the yearbook is distributed.
• The entire school will participate & celebrate the end of the school year and the completion of the yearbook.