The purpose of this task is to emphasize early user-testing in the app development process. Here are a few quotes about usability:
On the Internet, it's survival of the easiest.... Give users a good experience and they're apt to turn into frequent and loyal customers. But ... it's easy to turn to another supplier in the face of even a minor hiccup. Only if a site is extremely easy to use will anybody bother staying around."
- Jakob Nielsen
web is the ultimate customer-empowering environment. He or she who
clicks the mouse gets to decide everything. It is so easy to go elsewhere;
all the competitors in the world are but a mouseclick away."
know from your own experience as a Web user that paying attention
to usability means less frustration and more satisfaction for your
visitors, and a better chance that you'll see them again."
show that for every dollar a company invests to increase usability,
it receives $10-$100 in benefits, and wins customer satisfaction and
dismiss basic contexts such as link colours, page layouts, navigation
systems, and visual hierarchy as 'boring' or 'pedestrian' is akin
to laughing at a car's steering wheel as unimaginative."
one thing more painful that learning from experience, and that is
not learning from experience."
rules the web. Simply stated, if the customer can't find a product,
then he or she will not buy it."
percent of Fortune 100 companies had some type of site architecture
problem that might give them problems being found by search engines.
Exercise: User Testing for Creative Project 1
1. Create a pod. This is a super-group of two groups (four).
2. Observe users. Begin with one group and have the "users" download the group's app by scanning it from the web (app) page. Observe the users and take notes. Optionally, film the proceedings.
4. Repeat this process for the other team in the pod.
5. Report to the Company (Class) at large. Choose a spokesperson to describe the apps and what was learned from the tests.
6. Document: For the next checklist, you'll create a new page on your portfolio for App User Testing Session. Link to this page from your app page. Summarize and list the comments you received from your test users. For extra credit, create either 1) a video of test users using and commenting on your app, or 2) a video promoting your app (a fun advertisement for it).