CS 107 Worksheet
The purpose of this worksheet is to explore how location information is represented and also some Google maps functionality you might use in your apps. You'll be building apps with location-based information, and this will help you. Work through the following questions and document your answers on a portfolio page.
0. What does GPS stand for, who developed it and where does the data come from?
1. What is latitude?
2. What is longitude?
Now go to maps.google.com and click on My Places then the link to maps labs (near bottom of left panel) In Maps Labs, find the lat/long Tooltip and enable it. After you do that, you can hold the shift key down on a map and it will show lat/long on map. Use the map to answer the following questions:
3. What is the GPS location of your birthplace?
4. What is the GPS location of Harney Science Center?
5. What is the GPS location of Greenwich in the UK?
6. What is the GPS location of Quito, Ecuador?
7. Enter the following URLs into a browser:
What do they show?
8. Determine a Maps URL, like the first one above, that shows a map from your hometown to your dorm/apt. in SF.