Digital Detox Rules:
· Take home the parent letter (at the top of this paper) about this assignment; get a signature; return ASAP!
· Avoid Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, (and all other social networking sites that I don’t even know exist J).
· Avoid video games, word games, brain games, etc. (on your computer, phone, etc.).
· Avoid any program/device that operates through an algorithm: Pandora, Pinterest, etc.
· Only play music that is on the radio or CD. No I-pod, MP3, computer, etc.
· Only use your phone for PHONE CALLS (can you imagine?) If you absolutely must text, do so with brevity and only for work/school/informative purposes -- no chit-chat, no gossip, no flirting, etc. with your friends.
· Only use the Internet for school assignments (no surfing the web for leisure; no YouTube).
· Only use email and instant messaging for work/school/informative purposes -- no chit-chat, no gossip, etc.
· Only use television for LIVE viewing – no Netflix, no recorded tv. Limit tv to 60 minutes a day.
· DO – of course – continue to communicate with your parents/guardians! Invite your families to participate with you! Having a support network will make it easier.
Digital Detox Assignment Specifics
In Theory Only
This option is for you if you’re terrified to unplug, but you respect that there are ideas out there about why there may be value in the notion of doing so on occasion. This option does not require you to shut-down your devices or follow the Digital Detox Rules listed above. Instead, do the following:
1. On a 10 point scale (10= can’t live without it), rate your level of “digital-addiction.” Write a one paragraph (8+ sentences) explanation of your rating. Use specificity in your explanation.
2. Download (from our class website), read, and HEAVILY annotate one of the provided chapters from the book iDisorder.
3. Write a rhetorical précis of the chapter.
4. Using a main argument of the writer, respond to the article in a 2-page typed DRQ essay where you either defend, refute, or qualify this main premise.
5. Bring all of these items to class on _________________ to share with your classmates.
Teacher Book Club Choices -- Everyone's Invited!
Thursday, April 30th at 2 pm in W207
Ms. Fjetland’s: Food: A Love Story
by Jim Gaffigan
Thursday, April 9 at 2 pm in W207Ms. Vahle’s: David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
Friday, April 3 during 7th in the LMC
Ms. Clarke’s: Drunk Tank Pink: & Other Unexpected Forces That Shape How
We Think, Feel, & Behave
by Adam Alter
8085531 Period 2, 8085533 Period 3, 8085535 Period 4, 8085536 Period 5, 8085537 Period 6 Password: aplang