Prior to joining the UPF, I enjoyed a three-year postdoctoral position at the University of California at Berkeley (2005-2008) followed by an appointment as Assistant Research Engineer at the same institution for a year. Then I moved to Villejuif, France, for an eight-month postdoctoral position at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) - Institut Gustave Roussy. During 1998-2005, I was with the Biomedical Applications Group of the Centre Nacional de Microelectrònica, Bellaterra, Spain. I received a PhD in Electronics Engineering from the Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, in 2005.
My research is mostly focused on bioelectrical phenomena and on exploring the use of these phenomena for implementing new methods and devices for biomedical applications. Specifically, my main research topics are electroporation (), particularly for cancer treatments, electrical bioimpedance (Ω) for medical diagnosis and electrical stimulation for neuroprosthetics ().
My teaching activities are focused on basic circuit theory, basic electromagnetism, bioelectromagnetism, instrumentation systems and advanced analog electronics in general, and in particular signal conditioning circuits and medical instrumentation systems.
ResearcherID: A-3155-2008; ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7718-8767
[e-mail: email@example.com // phone: +34 93 542 1578 //
Publications in peer-reviewed journals:
0.() A. Ivorra, B. Rubinsky, L.M. Mir, “Electric field redistribution during tissue electroporation: its potential impact on treatment planning”, Comptes Rendus Physique, 2010, Accepted.
1. () L. Becerra-Fajardo, M. Schmidbauer, A. Ivorra, "Demonstration of 2-mm-Thick Microcontrolled Injectable Stimulators Based on Rectification of High Frequency Current Bursts", IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 2016, Accepted.
2.() B. Mercadal, P. T. Vernier, A. Ivorra, “Dependence of electroporation detection threshold on cell radius: an explanation to observations non compatible with Schwan’s equation model”, Journal of Membrane Biology, 2016 , Accepted.
4. () H. Sarnago, O. Lucía, A. Naval, J.M. Burdio, Q. Castellví, A. Ivorra, “A versatile multi-level converter platform for cancer treatment using irreversible electroporation”, Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 2016, 4(1): 236-242. (DOI 10.1109/JESTPE.2015.2512324)
5. () A. Ivorra, L. Becerra-Fajardo, Q. Castellví, "In vivo demonstration of injectable microstimulators based on charge-balanced rectification of epidermically applied currents", Journal of Neural Engineering, 2015,12(6):066010. (DOI: 10.1088/1741-2560/12/6/066010)
6. () L. Becerra-Fajardo, A. Ivorra, “In Vivo Demonstration of Addressable Microstimulators Powered by Rectification of Epidermically Applied Currents for Miniaturized Neuroprostheses”, PLOS ONE, 2015, 10(7): e0131666.
7. () Q. Castellví, M.M. Ginestà, G. Capellà, A. Ivorra, “Tumor growth delay by adjuvant alternating electric fields which appears non-thermally mediated”, Bioelectrochemistry, 2015, 105: 16-24.
8. (,Ω) A. Silve, A. Guimerà Brunet, B. Al-Sakere, A. Ivorra, L.M. Mir, “Comparison of the effects of the repetition rate between microsecond and nanosecond pulses: Electropermeabilization-induced electro-desensitization?”, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 2014, 1840: 2139-2151 © 2014 Elsevier B.V.
9. () J. González-Sosa, A. Ruiz-Vargas, G. Arias, A. Ivorra, “Fast flow-through non-thermal pasteurization using constant radiofrequency electric fields”, Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 2014, 22: 116-123. (DOI: 10.1016/j.ifset.2014.01.003) © 2014 Elsevier Ltd.
10. () M. Trujillo, Q. Castellví, F.Burdío, P. Sanchez-Velázquez, A. Ivorra, A. Andaluz, E. Berjano, “Can electroporation previous to radiofrequency hepatic ablation enlarge thermal lesion size? Feasibility study based on theoretical modeling and in vivo experiments”, International Journal of Hyperthermia, 2013, 29(3): 211-218. © 2013 Informa UK Ltd.
11. () A. José, L. Sobrevals, A. Ivorra, C. Fillat, “Irreversible electroporation shows efficacy against pancreatic carcinoma without systemic toxicity in mouse models”, Cancer Letters, 2012, 17(1): 16-23. © 2011 Elsevier B.V.
12. () A. Ivorra, “Remote electrical stimulation by means of implanted rectifiers”, PLoS ONE, 2011, 6(8): e23456.
13. () A. Ivorra, “Electrochemical prevention of needle-tract seeding”, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2011, 39(7): 2080-9. © 2011 Biomedical Engineering Society
14. () E. Maor, A. Ivorra, J.J. Mitchell, B. Rubinsky, “Vascular smooth muscle cells ablation with endovascular non thermal irreversible electroporation”, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 2010, 21(11), 1708-1715.
15. (Ω) A. Guimera, A. Ivorra, G. Gabriel, R. Villa, “Non-invasive assessment of corneal endothelial permeability by means of electrical impedance measurements”, Medical Engineering & Physics, 2010, 32(10), 1107-1115 (DOI: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2010.07.016) © 2010 IPEM. Published by Elsevier Ltd.
16. () A. Ivorra, J. Villemejane, L.M. Mir, “Electrical Modeling of the Influence of Medium Conductivity on Electroporation”, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2010, 12(34): 10055-64. © 2010 The Owner Societies.
17. (Ω) S. Laufer, A. Ivorra, V.E. Reuter, B. Rubinsky, S.B. Solomon, “Electrical impedance characterization of normal and cancerous human hepatic tissue”, Physiological Measurement, 2010, 31(7): 995-1009. © 2010 Institute of Physics and IOP Publishing Limited.
18. (,Ω) A. Ivorra, B. Al-Sakere, B. Rubinsky, L.M. Mir, “In vivo electrical conductivity measurements during and after tumor electroporation: conductivity changes reflect the treatment outcome”, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2009, 54(19): 5949-5963. © 2009 Institute of Physics and IOP Publishing Limited.
19. (Ω) A. Ivorra, M. Shini, B. Rubinsky, “Linear superposition electrical impedance tomography imaging with multiple electrical/biopsy probes”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 2009, 56(5):1465-1472. © 2009 Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
20. (,Ω) Y. Granot, A. Ivorra, E. Maor, B. Rubinsky, “In vivo imaging of irreversible electroporation by means of electrical impedance tomography”, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2009, 54(16): 4927-4943.© 2009 Institute of Physics and IOP Publishing Limited.
21. () E. Maor, A. Ivorra, B. Rubinsky, “Non thermal irreversible electroporation: novel technology for vascular smooth muscle cells ablation”, PLoS ONE, 2009, 4(3):e4757.
22. () A. Ivorra, B. Al-Sakere, B. Rubinsky, L.M. Mir, “Use of conductive gels for electric field homogenization increases the antitumor efficacy of electroporation therapies”, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 2008, 53(22): 6605-6618.© 2008 Institute of Physics and IOP Publishing Limited.
23. () A. Ivorra, C. Daniels, B. Rubinsky, “Minimally obtrusive wearable device for continuous interactive cognitive and neurological assessment”, Physiological Measurement, 2008 , 29(5):543-554.© 2008 Institute of Physics and IOP Publishing Limited.
24. (Ω) Y. Granot, A. Ivorra, B. Rubinsky, “A new concept for medical imaging centered on the cellular phone”, PLoS ONE, 2008, 3(4):e2075.
25. (Ω) J. F. Edd, A. Ivorra, L. Horowitz, B. Rubinsky, “Imaging cryosurgery with EIT: tracking the ice front and post-thaw tissue viability”, Physiological Measurement, 2008, 29(8):899-912. © 2008 Institute of Physics and IOP Publishing Limited.
26. () E. Maor, A. Ivorra, J. Leor, B. Rubinsky, “Irreversible Electroporation Attenuates Neointimal Formation after Angioplasty”, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 2008, 55(9): 2268-2274.© 2008 Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
27. () A. Ivorra, B. Rubinsky, “Electric field modulation in tissue electroporation with electrolytic and non-electrolytic additives”, Bioelectrochemistry, 2007, 70(2):551-560. © 2007 Elsevier B.V.
28. (,Ω) A. Ivorra, B. Rubinsky, “In vivo electrical impedance measurements during and after electroporation of rat liver”, Bioelectrochemistry, 2007, 70(2):287-295.© 2007 Elsevier B.V.
29. () E. Maor, A. Ivorra, J. Leor, B. Rubinsky,” The Effect of Irreversible Electroporation on Blood Vessels”, Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment, 2007, 4(6), 307-312. © 2007 Adenine Press.
30. (Ω) Y. Granot, A. Ivorra, B. Rubinsky,” Frequency-division multiplexing for electrical impedance tomography in biomedical applications”, Int J Biomed Imaging., 2007, 2007: 54798.
31. (Ω) D. Parramon, I. Erill, A. Guimerà, A. Ivorra, A. Muñoz, A. Sola, C. Fondevila, J.C. García-Valdecasas, R. Villa. “In vivo detection of liver steatosis in rats based on impedance spectroscopy”, Physiological Measurement, 2007, 28(8):813-828. © 2007 Institute of Physics and IOP Publishing Limited.
32. (Ω) R. Gómez, A. Ivorra, R. Villa, P. Godignon, J. Millán, I. Erill, A. Sola, G. Hotter, L. Palacios, “A SiC microdevice for the minimally invasive monitoring of ischemia in living tissues”, Biomedical Microdevices, 2006, 8(1), 43-49. © 2006 Springer Science + Business Media, Inc.
33. (Ω) A. Ivorra, M. Genescà, A. Sola, L. Palacios, R. Villa, G. Hotter, J Aguiló, “Bioimpedance dispersion width as a parameter to monitor living tissues”, Physiological Measurement, 2005, 26 (2), S165-173. © 2005 Institute of Physics and IOP Publishing Limited.
34. (Ω) M. Genescà, A. Ivorra, A. Sola, L. Palacios, J.M. Goujon, T. Hauet, R. Villa, J. Aguiló, and G. Hotter, Electrical bioimpedance measurement during hypothermic rat kidney preservation for assessing ischemic injury”, Biosensors & Biolectronics, 2005, 20(9), 1866- 1871. © 2004 Elsevier B.V.
35. I. Erill, S. Campoy, J. Rus, L. Fonseca, A. Ivorra, Z. Navarro, J.A. Plaza, J. Aguiló, and J. Barbé, “Development of a CMOS-compatible PCR chip: comparison of design and system strategies”, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 2004, 14, 1558-1568.
36. (Ω) A. Ivorra, R. Gómez, N. Noguera, R. Villa, A. Sola, L. Palacios, G. Hotter, and J. Aguiló, “Minimally invasive silicon probe for electrical impedance measurements in small animals”, Biosensors & Biolectronics, 2003, 19(4), 391-399. © 2003 Elsevier B.V.
37. (Ω) A. Sola, L. Palacios, J. López-Martí, A. Ivorra, N. Noguera, R. Gómez, R. Villa, J. Aguiló, and G. Hotter, “Multiparametric monitoring of ischemia-reperfusion in rat kidney: effect of ischemic preconditioning”, Transplantation, 2003, 75(6), 744-774. © 2003 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
38. N. Zine, J. Bausells, A. Ivorra, J. Aguiló, M. Zabala, F. Teixidor, C. Masalles, C. Viñas, A. Errachid, “Hydrogen-selective microelectrodes based on silicon needles”, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2003, 91:1-3, 76-82
39. A. Errachid, A. Ivorra, J. Aguiló, R. Villa, N. Zine, J. Bausells, “New technology for multi-sensor silicon needles for biomedical applications”, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2001, vol. 78:1-3, 279-284. © 2001 Elsevier B.V.
Book chapters:1. (,Ω) A. Ivorra, “Tissue Electroporation as a Bioelectric Phenomenon: Basic Concepts" pp. 23-61 in "Irreversible Electroporation" Ed. B. Rubinsky, 2010, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, ISBN: 978-3-642-05419-9. The original publication is available at www.springerlink.com
2. () A. Ivorra, B. Rubinsky “Historical Review of Irreversible Electroporation in Medicine" pp. 1-21 in "Irreversible Electroporation" Ed. B. Rubinsky, 2010, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, ISBN: 978-3-642-05419-9. The original publication is available at www.springerlink.com
3. () A. Silve, J. Villemejane, V. Joubert, A. Ivorra, L.M. Mir “Nanosecond pulsed electric field delivery to biological samples: difficulties and potential solutions" chapter 18 in "Advanced Electroporation Techniques in Biology and Medicine" Ed. A.G. Pakhomov, D. Miklavcic, M.S. Markiv, 2010, CRC Press, ISBN: 978-1-439-81906-7. The original publication is available at www.crcpress.com