ROUND GRANITE COFFEE TABLE - COFFEE TABLE

Round granite coffee table - Leather pool table pockets - Coffee storage tables.

Round Granite Coffee Table


round granite coffee table
    coffee table
  • low table where magazines can be placed and coffee or cocktails are served
  • A low table, typically placed in front of a sofa
  • A coffee table, also called a cocktail table, is a style of long, low table which is designed to be placed in front of a sofa, to support beverages (hence the name), magazines, feet, books (especially coffee table books), and other small items to be used while sitting, such as coasters.
  • (Coffee Tables) While any small and low table can be, and is, called a coffee table, the term is applied particularly to the sets of three or four tables made from about 1790; of which the latter were called 'quartetto tables'.
    granite
  • A very hard, granular, crystalline, igneous rock consisting mainly of quartz, mica, and feldspar and often used as a building stone
  • plutonic igneous rock having visibly crystalline texture; generally composed of feldspar and mica and quartz
  • something having the quality of granite (unyielding firmness); "a man of granite"
  • Used in similes and metaphors to refer to something very hard and impenetrable
  • Granite is a common and widely occurring type of intrusive, felsic, igneous rock. Granites usually have a medium to coarse grained texture. Occasionally some individual crystals (phenocrysts) are larger than the groundmass in which case the texture is known as porphyritic.
    round
  • wind around; move along a circular course; "round the bend"
  • a charge of ammunition for a single shot
  • Give a round shape to
  • from beginning to end; throughout; "It rains all year round on Skye"; "frigid weather the year around"
  • Pass and go around (something) so as to move on in a changed direction
  • Alter (a number) to one less exact but more convenient for calculations
round granite coffee table - Chantret Marble
Chantret Marble Topped Cocktail Table in Mahogany
Chantret Marble Topped Cocktail Table in Mahogany
AE234 Ornately hand-carved in the Louis XV style, our coveted cocktail table boasts intricate fretwork and beautiful acanthus detail that leave lesser, machine-made pieces without compare. Our solid hardwood Design Toscano exclusive is a work of furniture art virtually indistinguishable from a true antique. Crowned with a rose-hued, solid natural marble top, it's at home in any d cor. Features: -Cocktail table. -Mahogany finish. -Hardwood construction. -Hand carved. -Solid Marble Top. -Design Toscano exclusive.

89% (10)
220 West Broadway
220 West Broadway
Tribeca, Manhattan, New York City, United States of America Date: 1881-82 [NB 107-1881] Architect: George W. DaCunha Owner/Developer: Francis H. Leggett Type: Warehouse Style/Ornament: Neo-Grec/Queen Anne Method of Construction: Masonry with cast-iron columns Number of stories: 9 (now 11) Building Summary This eleven-story warehouse building extends fifty-five feet along Franklin Street, over seventy-four feet along West Broadway, and over ninety feet along Varick Street. Designed by George W. DaCunha, whose buildings are found in this district and in other Manhattan historic districts, this structure was built in 1881-82 for Francis H. Leggett (1840-1909), an influential businessman and owner of one of the country's largest importing firms in groceries, teas, and coffees. Leggett's business remained in the building until at least the middle of the second decade of the twentieth century. The facades display the bold, linear articulation of the neo-Grec style in combination with more intricate and complex detailing that characterizes the Queen Anne style. Originally the building, which replaced eight structures, had three imposing, and very similar, facades. In 1914, as part of the widening of Varick Street, the western half of the building was demolished and a brick wall with simple openings was erected on the new western building line. The West Broadway and Franklin Street facades share a one-story base (once shaded by a continuous awning), a seven-story midsection, and a two-story upper section. The first story consists of granite-faced piers which once flanked loading bays. The midsection, sheathed in brick and trimmed in stone and terra cotta, is articulated by smooth and incised piers flanking bays with flat-headed, round-arched, and segmentally-arched window openings. Slightly projecting corner "towers" add further weightiness to the design, with the southeastern "tower" designed to be slightly more prominent. An overscaled cornice and corbel table, into which the eighth-story windows are fitted, unites the exterior. Granite vault covers extend to the street at Franklin Street and West Broadway. In 1923 a one-story extension was added at the west side and it was increased to two levels in 1934; by then the building was used as stores and a factory. Other alterations were the insertion of tenth-story windows within the top of the structure and the addition of an eleventh story along a part of the west side of the building. After its association with the Leggett grocery firm ended, the building was known as the Comet Warehouse Building; later occupants included All America Cables and Radio, Inc. and the Mackay Radio & Telegraph Company. About the district Introduction The Tribeca West Historic District is dominated by commercial buildings erected in the second half of the nineteenth century. As noted by the New York City Superintendent of Buildings as early as 1866, merchants sought to make buildings such as these "not only substantial in character, but ornamental in appearance. The dominant architectural character of the Tribeca West Historic District is the result of this functional, yet decorative approach to commercial architecture, which produced substantial and attractive buildings whose form and appearance tended to transcend the changing fashions of architectural style. The specific style of such buildings was secondary to the building program and overall exterior effect, resulting in structures of similar scale whose contiguous cast-iron bases and masonry upper stories form visually coherent streetscapes. Within the context of commercial architecture, the buildings in Tribeca West encompass a range of treatments: there are those strictly utilitarian, plain in appearance and influenced by longstanding vernacular traditions; there are those influenced by popular architectural styles and ornament, consciously designed to be decorative in appearance; and there are those which are elegant in appearance, reflecting contemporary high-style architecture. As a group, the buildings in the district display durable, high-quality materials, a palette of mostly red brick with stone and terra-cotta trim, and modest use of architectural ornament. They form an ensemble of functional yet decorative buildings, the original uses of which remain evident due to their remarkably intact condition. The largest group of commercial buildings is composed of the store and loft type, executed in a range of architectural treatments. This multipurpose building type evolved in the nineteenth century to accommodate a variety of functions — including retail and wholesale operations, light manufacturing and processing operations, and offices — made necessary by the enormous growth and increasing complexity of commerce in New York City. Such businesses, especially those associated with the food industry, were located in the area immediately north of the Washington Market, in what is now
New York Stock Exchange
New York Stock Exchange
The New York Stock Exchange Building has been the home of the nation's principal securities market since 1903, the year of its completion. As a financial institution, the New York Stock Exchange has played a central role in American economic development. The building, designed by George B. Post, one of America's most prominent 19th-century architects, symbolizes the strength and security of the nation's financial community and the position of New York as its center. The design with its giant portico, colonnades, and sculpture imparts a sense of austerity and massiveness coupled with security, in keeping with the wishes of the clients. The building Continues to create a powerful presence for the Exchange in Mew York City and in the nation. History of the New York Stock Exchange New York City has long served as a financial market. Security transactions in the city may date back as far as 1725 when wheat, tobacco, and slaves, as well as securities were bought and sold in an auction market at the foot of Wall Street.1 From this time on, Wall Street remained the locus of financial activity in the city. In 1792 stock dealers and auctioneers were meeting each weekday noon at 22 Wall Street; according to tradition, at about the same time brokers began meeting under an old buttonwood tree at 68 Wall Street. This activity coincided with creation of the federal government system under the United States Constitution; speculation in Revolutionary War bonds and First Bank of the United States stock were the major transactions. By the end of 1792, security brokers had signed the Buttonwood Tree Agreement, leading to the formal organization of what was to become the New York Stock Exchange. The brokers made their first indoor headquarters at the newly-built Tontine Coffee House at the corner of Wall and Water streets in 1793. In 1817, after adopting a new name, the "New York Stock and Exchange Board," and writing a new constitution that brought new regularity to securities trading and made the board an exclusive organization, the members moved their offices to 40 Wall Street. The New York Stock and Exchange Board remained there until 1819; following this time the Exchange Board moved three times before settling into a somewhat permanent home at the Merchants' Exchange Building in 1827, staying there until a fire in 1835 destroyed the building. Despite the loss of its headquarters and the effects of the Panic of 1836-37, the Exchange Board endured. Temporary sites served until the Exchange Board moved into the Second Merchants' Exchange in 1842, remaining until 1854. The Cotton Exchange Building was headquarters in 1854-56 and the lord's Court Building served from 1856 to 1865, when the Exchange finally located on the present Broad Street site. By the middle of the 19th century, New York had eclipsed Philadelphia as the financial center of the nation, and the Exchange Board had developed into the nation's principal securities market. The Civil War was particularly beneficial for the prosperity of the Board as the speculative market grew dramatically. The Board adopted its present name, the New York Stock Exchange, in January 1863, purchased land for a new building that October, and moved into the completed building on Broad Street in December 1865. The period immediately after the Civil War saw an era of rapid growth for the United States with the settlement of the West, the building of the railroads, and the development of mass production techniques in manufacturing. The Exchange expanded with the economy, aided by such technological advances as the electric stock ticker (1867) and the telephone (1878) which linked the trading floor with brokers' offices and their customers. Although prosperity was interspersed with periods of national financial panic, the Exchange remained solvent. As the nation recovered from the Panic of 1893, the Exchange continued to grow. Annual securities sales volume rose to 265 million shares in 1901. Government investigations of the Exchange in 1909 and 1912, helped lead to the passage of the Federal Reserve Act of 19 13. The beginning of World War I led to further difficulties as European investors sold their American stocks to raise cash. Following the war the Stock Exchange entered a great period of growth and prosperity arising from several factors: "the United States' emergence as unquestionably the strongest country in the world and the possessor of an incomparable production system; an extensive U.S. foreign loan policy that made America a great creditor nation; the government's pro-business posture; the continuing growth and development of new industries; and the 'easy money' policy that the Federal Reserve banks adopted in 1927.The public entered the market in great numbers, and common stock trading soared. The Great Crash on October 29, 1929, brought a dramatic end to this speculative period, helping to trigger the Great Depression. Senate investigations in 1933

round granite coffee table
Comments