Wrought Iron Wood Dining Table : Pedestal Coffee Tables : Italian Kitchen Table
Wrought Iron Wood Dining Table
- iron having a low carbon content that is tough and malleable and so can be forged and welded
- Wrought iron is an iron alloy with a very low carbon content, in comparison to steel, and has fibrous inclusions, known as slag. This is what gives it a "grain" resembling wood, which is visible when it is etched or bent to the point of failure.
- A tough, malleable form of iron suitable for forging or rolling rather than casting, obtained by puddling pig iron while molten. It is nearly pure but contains some slag in the form of filaments
- Used for wrought iron, as opposed to cast iron; usually a building or structural material.
- A table is a type of furniture comprising an open, flat surface supported by a base or legs. It may be used to hold articles such as food or papers at a convenient or comfortable height when sitting, and is therefore often used in conjunction with chairs.
- a table at which meals are served; "he helped her clear the dining table"; "a feast was spread upon the board"
- (Dining Tables) The first dining tables of which survivors remain are the type known as refectory tables. They are made usually of oak, and one of the earliest, at Penshurst Place in Kent, has a typical thick top of joined planks supported on three separate trestles.
- A table on which meals are served in a dining room
- the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
- Such material when cut and used as timber or fuel
- The hard fibrous material that forms the main substance of the trunk or branches of a tree or shrub
- United States film actress (1938-1981)
- A golf club with a wooden or other head that is relatively broad from face to back (often with a numeral indicating the degree to which the face is angled to loft the ball)
- forest: the trees and other plants in a large densely wooded area
wrought iron wood dining table - Set of
Set of 2 Modern Wrought Iron Metal Dining Chairs w/Cushion Seats
Set of 2 Modern Wrought Iron Metal Dining Chair/Chairs with Cushion Seats This is a brand new Set of Two Wrought Iron Dining Chair/ Chairs with beige Fabric Covered Cushion Seats. This set of two chairs is made of quality metal and comes in a modern design to match the beauty of your dining room decor. This item is only sold in 2 chairs packaged for safety in shipping and delivery, and table pictured is sold separately. Item will require simple assembly. Specifications - Dimensions: 40"H - Style Type: Modern - Materials: Metal - Color: Brown - Pieces: 2 - Finish: Brown
Friends Meeting House
Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn, New York, New York City, United States The handsome brick building located at the southwest corner of Schermerhorn Street and Boerum Place in downtown Brooklyn is the meeting house of the Brooklyn Society of Friends, a branch of the New York Monthly Meeting. Built in 1857, the building is attributed to master builder Charles T. Bunting. The Brooklyn Friends congregation gathered in 1835 --the year after Brooklyn became a city--and built its first meeting house in that year at the corner of Henry and Clark Streets in Brooklyn Heights. This edifice served the Society for twenty years, but by 1855 more room was needed and a committee was appointed to plan for a new building at a new location. The "Minutes of the Monthly Meeting" for May, 1856 included the committee report: The attention of this Meeting has been turned to the limited and imperfect accommodation afforded by our present meeting house for a considerable time past...On examining the subject we were united in opinion that the present house could not be changed or altered so as to furnish the proper accommodations; and we therefore turned our attention to the selection of a new location, and we have agreed to propose for the consideration of the meeting the five lots of ground on the Southwesterly side of Schermerhorn Street, commencing 44 feet southerly from Boerum Street. These lots are each 25 feet front and rear, by 100 feet deep, and can be bought for $2,000 each. The plan to buy the five lots on Schermerhorn Street met with the approval of the Meeting, and by October, 1856 been purchased for the sum of $10,000. One third of this amount was paid in cash and the remainder was covered by a mortgage. The purchase having been made, attention was then focused on what sort of building should be erected on the property. In March, 1857, the Property Committee reported as follows: The Property Committee have had under consideration the subject of erecting a Meeting House at Brooklyn. We have concluded to propose to the Meeting that it should be 54 feet front and 63 feet deep, and__that it be built of brick with Brown Stone Sills and Lintells (sic). We estimate the cost at 15,000 to $16,000 Dollars. We have concluded to ask the Monthly Meeting to nominate a few friends to advise us in adopting a plan for the house. It would not have been consistent with Quaker taste or tenets to want a pretentious meeting house. In fact, the specifications for the exterior of the building were already set to the point where an experienced master builder would be able to take on the project, provide a suitable floor plan, and erect the building, a practice which was often followed in the nineteenth century. The affairs of the Brooklyn Monthly Meeting and the New York Monthly Meeting were managed jointly and knowledgeable persons from both groups most likely conferred over the proposed plan for the new Brooklyn building. One of these was Charles T. Bunting, a reputable builder. The design of the Brooklyn Friends Meeting House is attributed to him for several reasons. First, Bunting was a member of the New York Monthly Meeting; second, he is known as a builder active in New York City in the mid-nineteenth century; third, the Quakers were a tightly knit group and they preferred to conduct business with other members of the Society whenever possible; fourth, Bunting erected a new meeting house for the New York Monthly Meeting on Rutherford Place in Manhattan in 1861 and its exterior is almost the exact duplicate of the one erected in Brooklyn in 1857. It would seem that the design was so pleasing and so well suited to the needs of the two congregations that both Societies decided to use it. The Rutherford Place Meeting House was designated a New York City Landmark on December 9, 1969. The design of the Meeting House on Schermerhorn Street is a subtle transitional blend of the Greek Revival and Italianate architectural styles executed in a severe and straightforward manner. The basic form and the materials employed are in the Greek Revival tradition while the influence of the newly popular Italianate style is evident in the elongated proportions of the doors and windows which tend to accentuate the vertical lines of the structure. The proportions and scale of the various architectural elements are in perfect relationship to one another, a factor which relieves the austerity of the building. The walls are constructed of hard-pressed red brick laid in running bond and the window lintels and sills are brownstone as are the foundations and the water table. The main facade rises through three-and-one-half stories to a peaked roof with a low gable which contains a bisected demilune window. The raking cornice, made of wood, is faced with simple, bold moldings and has horizontal returns at the ends. The sides and rear of the building are constructed in the same manner and of the same materials as the front. The ground floor has
La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California
Bar Code 000025239 Photo Call Number PVLH.LAV.08.88 Date 1925-10-04 Title La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California Description Image shows interior view of lounge at La Venta Inn, located at 796 Via del Monte on lots 4, 5, and 6, block 1536. Visible at left is a grand piano, a sofa in front of a long carved wooded table in center with two arm chairs on either side, several side chairs and lamps, framed paintings on the walls and two wrought-iron chandeliers suspended from the open beam ceiling. A drop-leaf round carved wooden table is in foreground, with runners visible along each side of the hardwood floor, flanked by floral drapes and french doors. Visible in background is a doorway to the dining room. The Inn, originally built as a club house (named "Clubhouse 764") to entertain realtors and prospective land owners, opened in the summer of 1923 and was the first permanent building constructed by the Palos Verdes Project. The name was soon changed to La Venta (meaning "The Sale" in Spanish) and the inn served as a sales office and architectural prototype for the peninsula. During the 1930s it became a weekend retreat for notable celebrities such as Charles Lindbergh, Erroll Flynn, Betty Grable, Bob Hope, Tyrone Power, Cary Grant, and Gloria Swanson. Briefly in 1942 the Inn became the central observation post of the coastal artillery. From 1944 to 1954 the property was the residence of Commander and Mrs. Stanley Schnetzler, and was re-established as an inn in 1955. On November 11, 1978, La Venta Inn became the first structure designated as an historical landmark by the Rancho de los Palos Verdes Historical Society. In 1992 the New York Food Company took over management of the property. Architect Davis, Francis Pierpont Davis, Walter Swindell, 1887- Olmsted Associates Builder Shattuch Construction Co. Lawyer, Jay Lewis, Edward Gardner Chaney, Charles H. Lawyer, Donald K. Date Built 1923 Subject La Venta Inn (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) Historic buildings--California--Palos Verdes Estates Hotels--California, Southern Interiors Lounges Photo Size 7.5 x 9.5 in. Photo Format photographic print (b/w) Photo Source Palos Verdes Homes Association Image 000025239.jpg Notes PVH building permit #4.