.. in the microwave
Undhiyu is a Gujarati mixed vegetable dish that is a regional specialty of Gujarat, India.
This is my mom's recipe for it.
For 2 packets of frozen Undhiyo mix, each packet weighing 12 oz, or 340 gms.
1. Thaw the frozen vegies preferably by removing frm freezer and keeping at room temp for 4 hrs or by defrosting in microwave.
2. Once defrosted, remove those fried besan ‘muthiyas’, as they are called and keep aside ans they are too delicate and disintegrate if added with the other veggies.
3. Per packet of frozen mix, you will need bunch of coriander leaves, so for 2 packets, take 2 bunches; if they are very thin bunches, u can take 3 bunches for 2 packets, the more coriander the better to give is good aroma as well as to give it some substance/gravy.
4. Grind together foll: the washed and chopped coriander leaves, , green chillies ( green chilly paste per packet shd be at least 1 tbsp) so approx. 5/6 green chillies depending on size and spicyness of the chillies ( not the v tiny indian ones) for 2 packets, 2 tbs garlic paste for 2 packets, 2 tbs ginger paste, badishep ( fennel) seeds ( V V little, as otherwise it gived an unwanted extra strong flavor, ‘ugra’, as they say in Konkani) may be abt 30 to 35 seeds to count and be precise, 1 tbsp of coconut powder, ¼ tsp ( a small pinch of asafoetida hing), 2 tbsp of lemon juice, with little water so it becomes more like a paste than a watery mixture.
5. Mix ½ of the masala paste with the defrosted veggies and keep the other ½ aside.
6. Now heat oil in kadai, ( Oil for this is normally generously used, pl use as u think ok for you, but shd definitely not be too little), add very few ajwain seeds ( ¼ tsp or even less, may be a y small pinch taken with the very tip of ur fingers, as this too can give it a very strong unwanted aroma and a bit of bitter taste), as they splutter, add the veggies coated with masala and carefully keep tossing /stirring so it gets cooked, u may need to add little oil again, as needed, as u stir and cook ( taking care veggies do not break or get soggy like).
7. When it is almost cooked, add remaining masala, salt , 2 to 3 tsps of sugar, (If required and too dry u may add little water to get the right undhiyo consistency) stir, finally add muthiyas and cook for last 1 , 1 ½ minute or so in a microwave bowl.
Taste and if reqd add more lemon juice or whatever feels short.
Shd be spicy, yet sweet.
Enjoy with hot hot phulkas or pooris
Happy Cooking, Happy Eating.