- 1/2 of a medium head of green cabbage (about 4 cups shredded/chopped)
- 2 cups shredded/chopped purple cabbage (or use 6 cups green)
- 1 small onion, preferably sweet, sliced thinly or chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated OR 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tb. rice vinegar
- 2 Tb. soy sauce
- 1 Tb. sesame oil
- 1 Tb. minced garlic
- 1 Tb. honey
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 2-3 tsp. sriracha sauce (or 3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes) or more to taste
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 Tb. mayonnaise (preferably homemade)- optional for a creamier dressing
- sesame seeds
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- Combine the cabbage(s), onion, and carrots (or pepper) in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a 2-cup measure and pour over the cabbage mixture. Toss well.
- Serve with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and a sprig of parsley.
: Omit Soy Sauce and sesame oil; add 1 Tb. fish sauce and the juice of one lime. Increase the oil to 1/3 cup (this is especially good made with Napa cabbage).
Makes 8 sevings