Together with Oregon Tradeswomen, Incorporated (OTI), ANEW has launched the Building Green Futures Initiative to:
- Prepare OTI and ANEW students who participate in training programs with cutting-edge green and sustainable work practices recognized by industry
- Partner with Registered Apprenticeship Partners to introduce women to 21st Century jobs requiring green skills
- Link female veterans whose military skill sets and post-service career paths could transition through pre-apprenticeship
- Support qualified ex-offenders re-entering the workforce who could qualify for construction trades careers
This initiative is 100% funded through a capacity-building grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor - Employment Training Administration and enhances Women and Non-Traditional Occupations (WANTO) grant awards made to ANEW and OTI since 2007.
ANEW and OTI have collectively trained 109 women since receiving the
Building Green Futures grant, exceeding our training goal!
Ongoing Project Activities through May 2011
· Enhancement of ANEW’s Construction Readiness Pre-Apprenticeship Training curriculum is underway, using OTI’s eight-module EPA curriculum for energy efficiency and renewable energy, and adding Washington State industry- and workforce-based data.
· Web page content for Building Green Futures will be updated as progress towards remaining deliverables is met.
· OTI video production featuring female veterans is still under development. New products added to our Building Green Futures grant include the women's resources listings and a veteran crosswalk with apprenticeship.
Veteran Programs in partnership with Building Green Futures:
- Washington State Helmets to Hardhats
- Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs - Veterans Conservations Corps
See our Draft Strategic Plan posted below!
Registered Apprenticeship Programs in partnership with Building Green Futures:
- Washington State Building & Construction Trades Council, AFL-CIO
- Washington State Department of Labor and Industries - Apprenticeship Division