BSc, MSc, PhD
Lecturer (~Assistant Professor) in GIS and Big Data Analytics,
Department of Geography, Birkbeck, University of London
- Coordinator of the Geo-Analytics and Modelling Group (GAM)
- Research Affiliate at the Center for Spatial Studies University of California, Santa Barbara, CA
- Adjunct Research Fellow at Research Center for Social Informatics Kwansei Gakuin University, Hyogo, Japan
I am a (geographic) information scientist conducting research on:
- Geographic information science, spatial data science
- Crowdsourcing, volunteered geographic information, social media analytics
- Internet geography, media studies, digital humanities
- Natural language processing, semantic similarity
- Ontology engineering, Semantic Web, Linked Data
I support PhD and postdoctoral funding applications, as well as MSc dissertations in any of these themes. Please contact me for more information.
- New paper: "Sonifying data uncertainty with sound dimensions" in Cartography and Geographic Information Science (June 2018)
- Keynote at the VGI-ALIVE workshop (AnaLysis, Integration, Vision, Engagement) 12th June 2018, Lund, at AGILE 2018.
- Two full papers accepted at AGILE 2018
- New paper: A. Ballatore & J. Jokar Arsanjani (2018) Placing Wikimapia: An exploratory analysis, International Journal of Geographical Information Science
- Special issue on Spatial Approaches to Information Search to appear in Spatial Cognition & Computation in late 2016
- Our paper on map personalization is now published in Communications of the ACM, with a short documentary!
- My paper on search engines opens the 2015 July issue of First Monday
- Best Full Paper Award in AGILE 2015: "Designing a Language for Spatial Computing"!