Timeline of Major French- Canadian Events in North Adams
(1746- June 8, 1969)
1746 -The 1st Frenchman came to the unsettled Hoosac Valley as a soldier in the 900-
man army against Fort Massachusetts.
1840-1850 -35,000 Quebecois left the province for the United States.
1857 -Charles J. Prevey was born, who was the first child of French-Canadian parents in
1870 -There were enough French-Canadians to begin a new church in North Adams.
January 4, 1871 -Father Charles Crevier came to North Adams to take over the “French
1871- 1900 -About 2 million French- Canadians migrated to the U.S. from Quebec.
1872 -Father Crevier and Samuel Vadnais paid $5,500.00 to build a new church.
December 1874 -The French- Canadians moved in the basement of the new church,
Notre Dame de Sacre Coeur, to perform their services.
1888 -The church was finally completed and Father Louis LeDuc became pastor, over
1890 –An official parish school was started by the order of Father LeDuc.
August 30, 1890 -The Sisters of St. Anne began their apostolate at the Notre Dame du
Sacre Coeur Parish, which consisted of 500 French families.
September 2, 1890 -The Notre Dame school opened to 370 students.
October 4, 1894 -Father LeDuc died and thus a new pastor of Notre Dame had to be in place. It was now
Father Charles Jeannotte.
April 12, 1893 -W.B. Plunkett, owner of the Greylock Mills, donated land to build a church
for the French community of Greylock.
August 1894 -The first mass was performed in the new church of Greylock.
1896 -A school building was starting to be constructed.
September 6, 1898 -Father Jeannotte moved classes to the new 3-story building with 15
1909 -The French- Canadian population reached its peak at 25% of the whole North
May 5, 1925 -A contract for a new school was signed.
October 17, 1927 -The new school, Holy Family School, opened with 144 girls and
1960 -English masses were introduced to the church and began to overtake the French
1965 -Holy Family School closed down.
June 8, 1969 -The Sisters of St. Anne were no longer available and this caused the Notre
Dame School to close its doors for good.
This page was last updated on May 15, 2008. .