Harrisburg area Altrusans seek to improve the quality of life for people in our community by engaging in a variety of projects:
- Education Scholarships awarded annually since 1965 to students wishing to further their skills and become self-supporting.
- Assist with Camp Hope, a camp for reading and learning disabled children.
- Hold a Breakfast with Santa for over 125 local inner city children and their parents.
- Provide support to Central PA Literacy Association, local libraries and participate in “Read Around the World” literacy project.
- Visit a local Nursing Home, play bingo with residents and provide hand and arm massages to residents.
- Furnish necessary/luxury items for residents at local Women’s Shelters.
- Collect aluminum can tabs for Ronald McDonald House and donate books for children.
- Provide monetary donations to many local organizations such
as: Adult Education for G.E.D., Program for female offenders, Domestic Violence Shelters, Dress for Success, United Methodist Home for Children, CAT bus passes for shelter residents, Multiple Sclerosis, American
Diabetes Association, Tri-County OIC, and local libraries and nursing homes.
- Visit with residents of
Paxton Street Ministries, helping them with craft projects for Halloween and
- Visit with inner-city elementary school and donate approximately 650 personal dictionaries to each 3rd graders in inner-city schools.