service project was sponsoring a Community Playhouse which operated for four
years, closing in 1945 because of the war.
All proceeds from the playhouse were presented to the Theater Arts
Department of the University of Arkansas to establish a scholarship for
outstanding students in the theater arts.
grew in membership and in prestige in the community. During World War II, we organized and
sponsored the first blood bank in Arkansas.
Other early projects included providing tennis courts in the city park,
establishing a story hour at the City Library, providing financial aid,
clothing and textbooks to high school seniors in need, assisting with Salk
polio vaccine inoculations of elementary school children . We also contributed to the new city library
in honor of our member, Roberta Fulbright, for whom the library was named.
running service program is the Fayetteville Youth Dental Program. In 1957 the Fayetteville Schools began a
program to help students who needed dental care. Then in 1959, Lillian Woods, an Altrusan and
a school counselor, led the club in establishing an on-site dental clinic in
which volunteer dentists came to the school and children were treated at school
without volunteers having to transport them to and from various dentists’
offices. The club received the District
Eight Service Award and the International Mamie L. Bass Service Award in 1967
for the project. In 2001 the program
received the Governor’s Distinguished Service Award, recognizing the venture as
a long-standing project that had served the community for many years. While the recognition the club has received
for this venture is rewarding, the true reward is the smiling face of a child
who has benefited from the service received in the clinic. The program is still in operation as we
strive to keep up-to-date equipment and materials available to those dentists
who so freely contribute to the program.
Our purchases of a dental chair, chair-side consoles, a new x-ray
machine, new dental instruments and a new air compressor to support three
dental chairs, reflects our commitment to support this worthy program.
long-established projects that have received various District and International
awards include The Salvation Army Medical Service Ministry, begun in 1967,
Trade-a-Book, started in 1990, T.U.G.S. (t-shirts, underwear, gloves and socks)
program established in 1992, the Washington County Women’s jail “Captivating
Read” program begun in 2005. Other
successful programs we supported as long as they were in operation include Drug
Court in the schools and the BOW project (Builder of Women).
Our Club was
instrumental in forming three more Altrusa Clubs in Northwest Arkansas: The Altrusa Club of Ft. Smith, the Altrusa
Club of Springdale, and the Altrusa Club of Bentonville/BellaVista. In addition to those Altrusa Clubs, we also
formed an ASTRA Club at Fayetteville High School in 2002. This 50 member club shows great promise as
they work in their community on various service projects.
those twelve women who chartered the Altrusa Club of Fayetteville would be
proud to know that we have grown both in numbers and in service to our
community. As we approach our 75th
Diamond Anniversary in February, 2014, we hope to lay the groundwork for
generations of Altrusans to come. As one
Mayor stated in his proclamation: “There is nothing that Altrusa of
Fayetteville cannot do” and promptly handed our president the city’s wish