Risks & Issues

Possible side effects:

*
changes in blood cell count
*
drops on oxygen levels as measured with a pulse oximeter
*
gastrointestinal distress including diarrhea
*
possible lung congestion.
*
possibly some initially fatigue, but that should pass in a day or so.

Chemical Safety Measures:

As always take care when mixing these chemicals up. If they spill, dilute, flush, then wipe up. If using paper towels to wipe up, put them into a container outside. The 5% concentration is pretty safe, but good handling measures are always good to follow. If some of the 5% chemical comes into contact with skin or eyes, flush and wash it immediately. Activating sodium chlorite with water should not produce any chlorine dioxide fumes, but if it comes into contact with an acid it will produce fumes. Avoid the fumes.

Note:

Ultraviolet light from the Sun breaks down sodium chlorite quite quickly. Keep your mixture in a sealed container in a cool dark place. While drinking the daily dose keep it out of sunlight. An opaque plastic sports bottle is a good idea for those with remaining manual dexterity.

EPA documents show that the dosing levels contemplated herein are below levels which cause adverse effects. Short-term exposure is generally shown to be safe. No studies have been done on chronic long-term exposure. Oral consumption provides an unknown translation to blood concentration as some is broken down by stomach acid and is absorbed by other bodily tissue. Assumption here is 100% translation, although in reality that will be less and variable.