2 sticks unsalted butter
1 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. almond extract
1. In a stand mixer combine the softened butter and sugar to a creamy consistency.
2. Add in the egg, almond extract, salt and baking soda.
3. Add in the flour until a soft dough forms. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Lay out a sheet of parchment paper and using a rolling pin and lightly flouring the dough, roll out into a large rectangle, around 9x13 in size and slide a cookie sheet under the parchment paper.
5. Use your cookie cutters and cut out shapes in the dough. Place the cut-outs on another cookie sheet. Bake both cookie sheets at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes, just until very lightly golden.
6. When you remove from the oven, immediately re-cut the shapes with the cookie cutters, both in the rectangle sheet and the individual cut-outs. They will spread a little during baking and this will help bring back their shape. Allow to cool completely.
7. Decorate the cut out shapes and the puzzle to your liking and place the pieces back together.