About Allison Berger

Allison Berger was born on June 1st 2000 in Prestonsburg, Kentucky. She lived at Bevinsville with her mother Crystal and her father Steven until her passing on March 26th, 2011. 
    Allison was a member of the First Baptist Church of Pikeville, Ky where she was baptized in November of 2010. She attended school at St. Francis of Assisi from kindergarten to the fifth grade. She loved martial arts and had achieved the rank of brown belt in karate under Master Larry Adams of Larry Adams Martial Arts. She played soccer from the time she was 3 years old, first at the Pikeville YMCA and later in the Pike County Youth Soccer Association. She had a strong interest in science, music and fine arts. Most of all she loved her friends and family. 
    In August of 2009 Allison was diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain and spinal cord cancer called glioblastoma multiforme (GBM). She underwent surgical resection of the tumor at the Kentucky Children's Hospital the week after diagnosis, removing the bulk of the tumor but also leaving her with significant right sided weakness in her arm and leg. Shortly after surgery she went to St. Jude Childrens Reaserch Hospital in Memphis, Tn. for chemotherapy and radiation, staying there for the next to ten weeks. She continued to recover from the effects of surgery and radiation even as the chemotherapy left her with a new set of challenges to face. 
    Determined to play soccer again, Allison continued physical and occupational rehabilitation at Pikeville Medical Center (PMC) and resumed her martial art training with Master Larry. Spring of 2010 Allison played her final season of soccer with the PCYSA Tigers.
    By August of 2010, her chemotherapy regimen had to be changed as it appeared to not be keeping the GBM in check any longer. Allison began a new regimen on intravenous chemotherapy which she received at St. Jude and PMC. She continued many of her activities and continued to enjoy watching her friends on the University of Kentucky women's soccer team play throughout the 2010 season. 
    In late January of 2011, Allison's physical condition began to decline as the tumor began to grow and spread again. Her chemotherapy was changed again but with little effect. 
    Allison continued to do as many of the things that she loved that her physical condition would allow, including a trip to Disney World in late February 2011. Her physical status declined very rapidly afterwards until her passing at the end of March. 
    Allison was an amazing young lady with a vibrancy that cannot easily be described on paper and more accomplishments in ten short years than can be defined in this space. We were blessed to have known her and look forward to seeing her again in the presence of our Lord.