NEW AVENUES FURNITURE STORE : FURNITURE STORE

New Avenues Furniture Store : Spec Furniture Toronto.

New Avenues Furniture Store


new avenues furniture store
    furniture
  • A person's habitual attitude, outlook, and way of thinking
  • Furniture is the mass noun for the movable objects ('mobile' in Latin languages) intended to support various human activities such as seating and sleeping in beds, to hold objects at a convenient height for work using horizontal surfaces above the ground, or to store things.
  • Furniture + 2 is the most recent EP released by American post-hardcore band Fugazi. It was recorded in January and February 2001, the same time that the band was recording their last album, The Argument, and released in October 2001 on 7" and on CD.
  • Small accessories or fittings for a particular use or piece of equipment
  • furnishings that make a room or other area ready for occupancy; "they had too much furniture for the small apartment"; "there was only one piece of furniture in the room"
  • Large movable equipment, such as tables and chairs, used to make a house, office, or other space suitable for living or working
    avenues
  • A thoroughfare running at right angles to the streets in a city laid out on a grid pattern
  • A broad road in a town or city, typically having trees at regular intervals along its sides
  • A tree-lined road or path, esp. one that leads to a country house or similar building
  • (avenue) a wide street or thoroughfare
  • The Avenues, also known as Avenidas or AVE's, is a Chicano/Mexican-American street gang. The Avenues like most Chicano or Mexican-American gangs in the LOS(Los Angeles) are under the direct control of the Mexican Mafia when sent to State, County, or Federal prisons.
  • (avenue) a line of approach; "they explored every avenue they could think of"; "it promises to open new avenues to understanding"
    store
  • keep or lay aside for future use; "store grain for the winter"; "The bear stores fat for the period of hibernation when he doesn't eat"
  • shop: a mercantile establishment for the retail sale of goods or services; "he bought it at a shop on Cape Cod"
  • A quantity or supply of something kept for use as needed
  • a supply of something available for future use; "he brought back a large store of Cuban cigars"
  • A retail establishment selling items to the public
  • Store-bought

Finlay Ross Furniture Store; Wichita, KS
Finlay Ross Furniture Store; Wichita, KS
An 1898 photo of the Cash Henderson Store (white building) on the 100 block of north Main St. in Wichita, KS. This building is confirmed to have been designed and built by William Henry Sternberg (1832 - 1906). Originally this building was designed-built in 1886 for Finlay Ross (by W.H. Sternberg) and housed "Ross' Great Furniture & Carpet Emporium" addressed at 119 and 121 North Main Street in Wichita, KS. It was advertised as "the Largest House in the State" doing both wholesale and retail business. Ross maintained ownership of the building but rented it out in 1898 to Cash Henderson for the "Cash Henderson Dry Good & Carpets" (seen here). This building was known to be one of the structures within the "Temple Block" (a Sternberg-built block or in this case a set of blocks or buildings). The darker red brick building on the right is also a Sternberg-designed-built structure (originally built for Lloyd B. Ferrell). Ferrell also had Sternberg build "a duplicate" of this building on the south side of Douglas Avenue (opposite the old Post Office and Government Building). There are some features on the Ross building that are common of Sternberg designs, notably the castleated brick work at the roofline which appears on both of these buildings. That castle-style brick work also appears on the Ferrell Block (across from the old Post Office), the Porter Block, The M.W. Levy Mansion, the brick home on University, the Methodist Episcopal Church in Norwich, NY and others). The Finlay Ross Furniture Store seen here was part of a collection of buildings on the 100 block on the west side of north Main Street all owned by different individuals, but all constructed by William Henry Sternberg. Together this collection of Buildings was known as the "Temple Block". Information indicates that there were other buildings off to the right of these two in the photo that were also part of the Temple Block. Additional photos to be posted soon . . . Ross and Sternberg apparently had a good relationship as Ross also had Sternberg do his own home on north Waco Avenue (a couple of blocks south of Sternberg's home on north Waco Avenue). Ross's home was at 821 North Waco Avenue and Sternberg's home is at 1065 North Waco Avenue. Ross took "possession of his palatial residence" in September 1887. The Ross Home was one of the "Fabulous Ten" homes (as was the Sternberg Home) promoted in advertisements showing off the grand homes being built in Wichita in the 1880s. See photostream for image of this "Grand Homes of Wichita" advertisement. A drawing of this grand residence appeared in the October 9, 1887 Wichita Beacon newspaper. Additional photos of this wonderful home to be posted soon. The Ross residence was torn down to make way for commercial development (office buildings). Back in the late 1800s, the Arkansas River ran a different course than it does today and the Ross residence would have backed up to the bank of the river. South of the Ross residence, the river coursed further east that it does today, cutting off Waco and making it a cul-de-sac, accessible only from the east. This was Wichita's finest residential neighborhood and Waco was lined with these exclusive homes of Wichita's wealthy. Waco street was named after the Waco Indians, which were a band of the Wichita Indians who resided in this area (south central Kansas). In the late 1800s, Waco was “the” street to be on” and it was Wichita’s original birth place, too. The first house ever built in Wichita (the Munger House now in Cowtown) was at 9th and Waco and there is a bronze plaque at that location commemorating its significance. In 1873 trolley service began in Wichita and there was a trolley switching station on the northeast corner of Waco and 10th. Very quickly Wichita grew and became called (admittedly by its own promoters...), the “Mecca of Men”, the “Peerless Princess of the Plains”, the “Magical Mascot”, the “Jerusalem of the West”, “The New Chicago”, “The Eighth Wonder” and “The Commercial Wonder”. Grand palatial homes all new and dazzling dotted Waco and the nouveau-rich displayed their new-found money with their homes and W.H. Sternberg was the builder of choice for such homes. At this time, Waco residents became dissatisfied with the rather ordinary name of just “Waco” and petitioned the City to officially have the name changed to “Waco Avenue”. It was their feeling that “Waco Avenue” was more in keeping with the upscale nature of the neighborhood and so today, the official name of “Waco” is still “Waco Avenue” . . . Sternberg Mansion at 1065 North Waco Avenue is one of a scarce handful of Victorian homes on Waco Avenue to have survived commercial expansion in the 1900s and indeed a few attempts were made to raze it to put in a strip mall or an apartment complex. However even before laws existed to protect the stucture, residen
Sidewalk Clock, 783 Fifth Avenue
Sidewalk Clock, 783 Fifth Avenue
Fifth Avenue, Midtown Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States One of the most important and essential parts of New York's historical fabric is its "street furniture" — lamp posts, street clocks, sign posts, and benches that enhance'and maintain the intimacy and scale of neighborhood blocks. Perhaps the most striking of these street amenities are the oversize cast-iron post or sidewalk clocks that proudly dominate city sidewalks. These clocks proliferated in American cities well after the turn of the twentieth century but many have since fallen prey to automobile accidents and sidewalk ordinances. One of the few that exists in New York today is the clock at No. 783 Fifth Avenue. Introduced in the 1860s, cast-iron street clocks were popular both as everyday conveniences and as novel advertising devices. A small business concern that stayed in the same location year after year would buy a street clock and install it directly in front of the store, often painting the name of the business onto the clock face. When the business owners moved, they usually took their clocks with them. Readily available from catalogues for about SOC dollars, street clocks were manufactured by several clock companies. At the forefront in the East were the Seth Thomas Company and the E. Howard Clock Company. Seth Thomas (1735-1859), who established the Seth Thomas Clock Company in 1861, was one of .America's pioneer clock manufacturers. Edward Howard (1813-1904), who founded the E. Howard Clock Watch Company in 1861, developed an extremely successful clock business in Massachusetts, with a New York office located at 532 Broadway. Howard with his paten Aaron L. Dennison created the first mass-produced pocket watch, and marketed banjo clocks, figure eight clocks, grandfather, wall, and tower clocks, all of his own design. The E. Htoward Clock Company, which manufactured the clocks at No 1501 Third Avenue and No. 783 Fifth Avenue, produced sidewalk clocks as late as 1564. The company started to manufacture the street clocks around 1870 an at one time had a patent on chem. Street clocks were operated by a mechanism based on a weight calculated according to the number of feet needed for its fall. The weigh was wound up into its highest position and would run for about eight days. Later the clocks were mechanized and operated from master clocks inside the building, and had secondary movements. Measuring about fifteen feet from the sidewalk to the center of the dial, the clocks were larger than human scale, handsome eye- catchers, and effective advertising devices. Designed with two or four faces, the clocks conformed to a basic composition, with the large round faces mounted on classical columns and bases. Four of the city's extant clocks, all of which are the two-face variety, stand in Manhattan. A handsome classically designed clock appears at No. 783 Fifth Avenue at the Sherry Netherland Hotel. This clock was manufactured by the E. Howard Clock Company and may have been installed in 1927 when the hotel was built. A high rectangular beveled base with gilded panels supports the slender fluted column and large double-faced dial set over small scrolls. These handsome cast-iron street clocks of New York represent an increasingly rare sampling of a type of street amenity that once proliferated. They are, in most cases, masterpieces of cast-iron workmanship, beautifully designed, and prominent sidewalk landmarks. As an essential part of the city's urban fabric, they make a very special and significant contribution to the New York streetscape. - From the 1981 NYCLPC Landmark Designation Report

new avenues furniture store
Comments