Sugar Cookie Bars: (from A Little Bit Crunchy A Little Bit Rock and Roll)
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
4. Add the vanilla to the creamed mixture and then slowly add the dry ingredients.
5. Press into a greased 13 x 18 inch pan and bake at 375F for 10-15 minutes. (You can use another shaped pan that is similar in size, but a 9x13 will be too small.)
6. Cool and frost (see directions below).
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 tablespoons of milk
food coloring (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, beat the shortening and butter until creamy.
2. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar.
3. Gradually add the 5 tablespoons of milk until you reach your desired constancy.
4. For the sprinkles, I found that they rolled all over the place. To help this, place a sheet of plastic wrap over the frosted sugar cookies and gently press the sprinkles into the frosting.
5. Chill and cut.
(These cut beautifully with a pizza wheel cutter.)
- Yes, you may make the frosting with all butter. They turn out great!
- Yes, the recipe calls for 5 cups of flour. This is not a mistake. They make a lot.
- Do not try and make these in a 9x13 pan. They will end up very thick if you do.
- Do not over bake these. Over baking and using and/or using an incorrect size pan will result in a dry sugar cookie bar.