The Alexandria Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) holds regular meetings open to the public on the third Monday of the month. The meetings will normally be held at the Durant Center from 7 to 9 pm.
Mission Statement: To provide citizen input in planning and programming bicycle and pedestrian improvements and in promoting bicycling and walking in the city of Alexandria.
· To provide citizen input in planning bicycle trails, bicycle parking and bicycle street access in Alexandria.
· To promote bicycle and pedestrian safety, education, use, and awareness.
· To inform the City Council, staff, and citizens about bicycling and pedestrian issues that affects the citizens of Alexandria.
· To provide citizen input in the planning, review and implementation process for transportation projects in and around Alexandria.
· To forge links with other citizen advisory committees and commissions in Alexandria, as well as in neighboring communities, that share issues common to bicycling and walking in Alexandria.
work with the Alexandria city staff including the Principal Transportation
Planner and the Complete Streets Coordinator
Coordinator to achieve these goals.
Membership: The Committee will include up to 15 voting members. The Committee membership should reflect the make-up of the Alexandria bicycling and pedestrian community. The committee should also include at least one member representing an Alexandria bike shop or the local bicycling industry. Members who miss three consecutive meetings may be removed from the Committee at the direction of the Chair. New members will be appointed by the Committee Chair. All general meetings will be open to the public.
Officers: The Committee shall choose from its voting members a Chair, two Vice-Chairs and a Secretary.
There will be a Vice-Chair for Cycling and a Vice-Chair for Pedestrians. The Chair or appintee shall conduct the meetings and work with the city staff to prepare an agenda for each meeting. The Secretary or appointee shall prepare minutes of each meeting. The officers shall serve a one year term. Election of Officers will take place each February.
Quorum: A quorum shall be a majority of the voting members of the Committee.
Votes: A quorum must be present before any vote is taken. Motions put before the Committee require a vote of the majority of the members present to pass.
Sub-Committees: The Committee shall establish sub-committees as needed to deal with Committee business and issues.