Note: Use CTRL-F to Search
MICHAEL MULQUEENEY.—The subject of this sketch is a native of Ireland, born in County Clare, where he spent his youth and early manhood until twenty years of age, when he emigrated to Canada, and there resided for four years. His next move was to the land of the free, and in the spring of 1868 he emigrated to California. Coming via Panama he arrived in San Francisco April 23d of the above year. A few weeks later we find him in Alameda County, and in 1869 he purchased some property near where he now resides, and there laid the foundation for the successful business in which he is now engaged, adding by purchase from time to time until the fall of 1882 we find him with a sheep ranch of some four thousand acres located about two miles from Midway. In the spring of the following year he added another four thousand acres to his already large estate, and has now one of the largest ranches in Alameda County, and is the acknowledged king of that industry in this section of the State, having from five to eight thousand head of sheep on his range. Mr. Mulqueeney is a kind-hearted and genial gentleman, and is universally respected by all who know him, and with his excellent wife enjoys the blessings of a happy home. They have a family of two children, John F. and Michael C.
EMERY MUNYAN.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, was born in Thompson, Windham County, Connecticut, on Christmas-day, 1823, where he was educated and resided on his father's farm until he grew to man's estate. At this time he proceeded to Burrillville, Providence County, Rhode Island, where he acquired the spindle-maker's trade, and at the end of three years transferred the scene of his labors to Milbury, Worcester County, Massachusetts, and there resided until making up his mind to tempt fortune on the Pacific Slopes. Sailing from New York May 20, 1852, in the steamer Prometheus, he journeyed via the Nacaragua route, and at San Juan continued the voyage in the steamer Pacific7—among the passengers being his neighbor Edward Ross—finally arriving in San Francisco June 26, 1852. He at once crossed the bay to what has since become Alameda County, first locating at Mowry's Landing, and there embarked in the cultivation of vegetables. Here he resided until New Year's day, 18,53, when he settled on his present farm, comprising twenty-seven acres, situated about one mile and a half from Newark, where he is engaged in general farming and fruit-growing. As a conchologist Mr. Munyan has a high reputation, his cabinet of shells indigenous to this coast being one of the most perfect in the State. He also possesses a remarkably fine collection of minerals and fossils. The gathering of these specimens he commenced in the year 1869, and in 1871, having built a handsome cabinet for their reception, he generously placed the whole in the Lincoln District School, of which he has been a trustee from its organization up to date. He is also a charter member of the Pioneer Association of Washington, Murray and Eden Townships. Possessed of a singularly retentive memory, Mr. Munyan is full of reminiscences of his pioneer life in this county. He has ever taken an active part in whatever might tend to her benefit, and his love of literature and brilliancy of conversation make him a most charming associate.
EDWARD MURPHY (deceased).-Born in County Monaghan, Ireland, in the year 1829, and was the son of Dennis Murphy, a surgeon in the British army, who fought in the War of 1812. When twelve years of age he came alone to St. John's, New Brunswick, and subsequently moving to Milford, Worcester County, Massachusetts, there found employment in a general merchandise store, where he remained until the fall of 1849. In that year, so dear to the heart of the pioneer, he started for California by way of the Isthmus of Panama, and after suffering shipwreck on the coast of Mexico, ultimately arrived in San Francisco in January, 185o. Finding employment in Marin County until 1854, in the spring of that year he went to Massachusetts, but shortly after returned to the Pacific Coast, and locating in the Bay City, engaged in the livery business as proprietor of the Pioneer Stable. There he remained until the spring of 1856, when he moved to Alameda County and pitched his tent in Washington Township not far from the Alviso school house. There he purchased a ranch about two miles north of where now stands the town of Decoto, and engaged in farming until 1863; but selling out at this time he transferred his habitation to Alvarado and was in business there until 1869, farming near that place for the subsequent two years. In 1871 he arrived in Murray Township and leased a portion of the Dougherty Ranch where he dwelt until March, 1876, He then moved to Dublin and engaged in hotel-keeping until his decease on October 23, 1881. Married, April 12, 1855, Miss Margaret Crowley, a native of County Cork, Ireland, by whom he left five children, viz.: Mary E. (now Mrs. 0. R. Owens), Edward D., Francis A. (now Mrs. T. H. Thorndyke), Daniel J., John W.
FREDERICK F. MYERS.—Was born in Licking County, Ohio, June 15, 1839, and is the son of John and Frances (Smith) Myers. Having resided in his native State until the year 1856, he- then proceeded to Kansas, where he was employed as an express carrier in the Quartermaster's department of the Government. In 1858 he left Kansas with Capt. Hancock, arriving in Benicia in November of the same year, and the following spring accompanied Colonel Hoffman's expedition to Lower California, staying there until 186o, in which year he severed his connection with the Government and removed to Oregon and commenced business in Salem as a wagon-manufaoturer, remaining there until 1862, when he transferred his residence to Idaho Territory and embarked in mining. At the expiration of one season he returned to Portland, Oregon, and began a livery business, in which he was engaged until 1866, when he left for San Francisco, coming to Alameda County after a year's residence in the Bay City. He now established himself in a carriage shop in the city of Oakland, b it at the end of eighteen months embarked in the lime, plaster, and cement business, w ich he still continues at the northeast corner of Third and Washington Streets, Oak- la Id. In the year 1878 Mr. Myers was elected one of the Board of Supervisors of Alameda County, for the Fifth District. He married in May, 1873, Mrs. Sarah Willis McCann, who died April 7, 1880.
HENRY F. NEBAS.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, v6s born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, November 20, 1830,but when fourteen years of age accompanied his parents to the United States and located in Buffalo, New York. When nineteen years old he commenced to learn the carpenter's trade, which he followed there until March, 1854, when he started for California. Proceeding by way of Panama he arrived in San Francisco during the latter part of that month and immediately went to the mines in El Dorado County, where he remained until 1856. In that year we find Mr. Nebas in Alameda County, employed in various capacities for seven years. He then leased land in the vicinity of Haywards for five years, when he purchased his present farm, comprising about Seven hundred acres, on which he has made many improvements, and where he is engaged in general farming and stock-raising. Married, October 19, 1862, Miss M. A. Doody, a native of Ireland, by whom he has had six children, five of whom by the most distressing accident were killed when returning from a picnic at the railroad crossing near Haywards on May 2, 1882. His only remaining child Henry W., died of fever in 1883, while this work was in press. In Mr. Nebas we have another living example of what a life of energy and perseverance can do. He lives respected by his fellow-citizens.
WILLIAM NEWCOMB.—Was born in Quincy, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, December 1, 1808, and is the son of Thomas P. and Hannah (Hayden) Newcomb. Having resided with his parents ,until 1836, on the 11th September of that year he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth, daughter, of Perez and Mary R. (Pette) Sprague, a native of Massachusetts, who was born September 1, 1811. He now settled in his native place, where he followed the boot-making trade until his coming to California. On February 20, 1853, he sailed from. New York to the Pacific Coast, and after suffering shipwreck, on the Tennessee arrived in San Francisco during the last days of the month of March. He at once commenced farming in Alameda County, on the ranch now owned by Mr. Emery and there remained five years, at the expiration of which he returned to the Eastern States, but in 186o, bringing with him his wife and family, he came back to California and settled in Oakland, where he has since resided. His family consists of Maria G. (now Mrs. T. L. Walker), Mary E., (now Mrs. J. H. Hobart), and Warren W.
JOHN H. NICHOLSON.—Was born in Sussex County, Delaware, April I, 1820, where he resided until the year 1836, when h.-t-i. roved to Adams County, Illinois, and there dwelt until 1853. Emigrating in that y7ar to California,; Mr. Nicholson settled in San Ramon Valley, Contra Costa County, where he followled farming until 1878, when he came to Oakland and established his present business, viz.: that of a coal and wood merchant. Married, November 29, 1843, Miss Francis Field, by whom he har., seven children, viz.: Henry C., Isabella, John W., Mary D., Golder A., Martha, and Adenia. .
EDWARD NIEHAUS.—The subject of this memoir, whose portrait will be found in this work, was born in the kingdom of Hanover, Germany, December 24, 1827, where he received a common-school education, and resided until the year , 1842 Being then but fifteen years of age, he bade adieu to the land of his birth, and emigrating to the United 'States, settled in St. Louis, Missouri, where he served a three years' apprenticeship to the blacksmith trade, and afterwards followed it there Untii 185o. In the month of April of that year. he left St. Louis with mule-teams in Doctor Knox's .company, and crossed the plains to the Land of Gold, arriving' at classic Hangtown, now more appropriately named Placerville, September 11th, after a not unpleasant trip of five months' duration. Until December 8th Mr. Niehaus tried his luck in the mines; he then came to the Contra Costa, erected a house on the
J. K. NISSEN.—A native of North Schleswig, and was born November 23, 1840. Here he maintained a residence until the month of June, 1864, when he went to Hamburg, and lived there until May, 1867. At this time he emigrated to California, and landing in San Francisco July 29th of that year; joined his brother, who had been a resident of San Lorenzo, Alameda County, for two years previously. Failing to find employment there at the end of two weeks, he returned to San Francisco, and there was engaged to proceed to Mount Eden, where he worked in a store for seven months. Returning then to the Bay City, he was employed for three months in a restaurant there, when he left for the country, and after working for a short time on a farm, obtained a situation in San Leandro in a store, where he remained eleven months. Feeling dissatisfied now at working for others, Mr. Nissen started a peddler wagon with dry goods, which he found more profitable. On December 12, 1869, he married Claudine Buchpold, a native of Nord Schleswig, and in the fall of 1870, purchased a lot from William Meek, San Lorenzo, on which he built a small residence, where, after some time, he opened a store, still continuing his wagon business, leaving his wife in charge of the place. Both being economical and industrious, they soon put by a little money, which ultimately enabled him to buy a lot in the town of Hay- wards in 1875, on which he built a large two-story house for a store and dwelling, combined with a hotel. His family consists of two girls and two boys.
ANDREW J. NOR.—Was born in Germany, March 21, 1855, and there resided until the year 1872, when he emigrated to the United States, and settling in Livingston County, Illinois, there lived for a year, at the end of which time he came to California, embarked in the dairy business in Merced County, and there continued until 1875, when coming. to West Oakland, he resided until 1878, when he entered into partnership with F. G. Eiben in the grocery business under the style of Eiben & Nor, at the northwest corner of Seventh and Campbell Streets, Oakland. Married in November, 1881, Miss A. S. Miller.
LOUIS NUSBAUMER (deceased).—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this history, was born January 19, 1819, in Carlsruhe, Grand Duchy of Baden. His mother Amalia Gmehli was born in the town of Miihlheim on the upper Rhine. His father, George Nusbaumer, born in Switzerland, entered the army of Napoleon I. at an early age; serving in the medical department through all those memorable campaigns. For conspicuous services rendered at the grand catastrophe of the "crossing of the Beresina" he received the highest decoration of honor, at the end of the great historical drama. After completing his medical studies at Heidelberg, he established himself at Carlsruhe and subsequently became one of the most renowned surgeons of his time. Louis was born in the second year of their marriage; his mother died the year following. After passing the Lyceum and attending lectures at the Polytechnic Institute, Louis, at the age of seventeen, entered a mercantile house in Frankfort on the Main. From nineteen to twenty-one he spent on one of those large model farms to obtain a practical insight of farming. At twenty-one he entered the jewelry establishment as book-keeper in the city of Pforzheim. At twenty-three years he married a young lady of that place named Elizabeth Roth, born September 5, 1824, in Mobile, Alabama, she had returned with her parents to Germany at the age of five. Nusbaumer now rented a large estate on Lake Constance on the upper Rhine, where they lived nearly two. years. Here again they met with heavy losses through misplaced confidence, and but for the constant and faithful assistance of his young wife the situation would have been desperate. They now turned their thoughts to the great country in the far West. In June, 1847, they arrived in New York, on the ship Earl of Liverpool. Nusbaumer soon obtained a situation in a jewelry establishment in Newark, N. J. In the fall of 1848, after the first exciting news from California had reached the States, Nusbaumer, like many others, was seized with the gold-fever. On the loth of March, 1849, he, in company with sixty others, mostly Germans, left the city of New York, full of hope, on their journey overland, towards the gold-fields of California. The organization soon broke up and Nusbaumer arrived in company with others at Salt Lake, October I, 1849, seven days later himself with five others resumed their journey westward. After traveling two hundred and fifty miles in ten days on foot they fell in with Capt. Hunt's train, consisting of one hundred and fifteen wagons. Journeying with them ten days without much headway, Nusbaumer with several others left the train and took a random course towards " Walker's Cut-off" The third day the country ahead became utterly impassable for wagons. Henceforth, their journey was one of continuous hardships and privations, wagons and contents had to be abandoned and only the most needful articles packed on their cattle. Time and again, they were without water and food for days; most of their cattle perished. On the 19th of February, 1850, the last beef was killed; four days later, to their inexpressible joy, they struck Capt. Hunt's trail on the Mohave River, and six days more brought Nusbaumer and two more of the original company of sixty to the first Spanish ranch in Lower California, March 1, 185o. They soon made their way towards San Francisco. During the summer he mined in the Merced River: The spring following, April 5, 1851, his wife who had made the trip by steamer via Panama had joined him once more. With the exception of some eleven months spent in a trip to Oregon and back, they lived in Sah Francisco till the fall of 1856, when they moved on an eighty-acre farm on-Dry Creek, Washington Township in this county, bought by C. Duerr for Nusbaumer and himself. October, 1857, Duerr and Nusbaumer rented the estate of John W. Kottinger, situated in Murray Township, embracing the larger part of the present town of Pleasanton for a term of five years. Their business here consisted of merchandising and sheep-raising. At the expiration of their lease 1862, they bought a joint interest in the Rancho El Valle de San Jose consisting of some three thousand acres, on part of which they made their permanent home. On the 25th May, 1876, Louis Nusbaumer met with irreparable loss in the sudden death of his estimable wife, his life-long companion, who always encouraged and faithfully assisted him in their many grievous trials in their younger days. To her untiring industry is due a very large part of the success that finally crowned th it efforts. From this shock Nusbaumer never entirely recovered. On the loth day of July, 1878, he, too, died at the age of sixty. They left four children George Louis, Albert, Emil, and Bertha, aged respectfully thirty-one, twenty-nine, twenty-seven, and twenty years; all of whom are permanent residents of Alameda County. Persona,ly Mr. Nusbaumer was a remarkable man in many ways; below medium height, conpelled through near-sightedness to wear eyeglasses at all times, he was physically of great endurance, a great hunter, an expert shot, an accomplished rider, and an entertaining compan on, warm-hearted and generous to a fault, always ready to forgi, e. His many noble qualities of heart and mind will ever be remembered by his many friends.
STEPHEN G. NYE. - Was born in January, 1834 at Westfield, New York. Ins father, John Nye, was among the first settlers on the Holland Land Company's Purchase in western New York, when there were no roads and all was forest west of Buffalo, and he and his family suffered the privations and toils incident to pioneering. The children were two sons; one of whom met his death in the Union Army in Virginia in 1862. The subject of this sketch received such education as the common school could give until the age of sixteen, when he commenced teaching, and with his earnings pursued his studies until his graduation at Allegheny College, Meadville, Pennsylvania, 1858. For the next year and a half he was principal of Westfield Academy, and he then entered the law office of Hon. T. P. Grosvenor, at Dunkirk, New York where he pursued' his studies until November, 1861, when he came to California. His first bread' was earned by teaching the district school at Centreville in this county for three months. He then entered the law office of Janes & Lake as clerk in the spring of 1862, and there remained until the death of Mr: Janes broke up the partnership. He was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court in April, 1862. In 1863 he returned to this county, where he has ever since resided. In the fall of 1863 he was elected District Attorney of this county, and served two years. On the resignation of Judge Noble Hamilton as County Judge, in August, 1867, he was appointed by Gov. Low to fill the vacancy and was successively elected thereafter to the same office until his resignation, which took effect September I, 1878. He then resumed and has ever since continued the practice of his profession. In 1879, after the adoption of the New Constitution, he was elected to the State Senate, where he served in the sessions of 188o and 1881. He was married in January, 1863, to Miss Emma M. Hall, daughter of Asa Hall of Westfield, New York. In 1865 they purchased a block of land in San Leandro, and built a house, where they have ever since resided.
JOHN H. OLIVE.—Was born at Long Point, Canada West, seventy-five miles south of London, September 7, 1825, where he was brought up on a farm until he attained the age of eighteen years. At that time he removed to London and engaged in the stage business until July, 185o, when he emigrated to Galena, Illinois, and entered the employ of Funk & Walker on their stage line from Dubuque to Iowa City, thence to Muscatine on the Mississippi. In this service he remained until April 12, 1851, when he embarked for St. Louis, Missouri, and there joining Howe & Maly's circus with it traveled through Illinois and Wisconsin, arriving in Galena July 4th, of the ' same year. Here he severed his connection with this company, but on the 24th of the same month he joined Howe & Lent's circus, and with it went through the States of Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and finally brought up in. New York, October 19, 1851. Mr. Olive now found employment in the Bowery Theater, and was one of the party that brought General Kossuth, the Hungarian patriot, from his ship at Staten Island, at the time that he made his first speech in the United States. Our subject revisited London in December, and remained there until June, 1852, when he once more embarked in the staging business, but in the month of December of the same year he proceeded to Michigan, and followed the like occupation. On March 4, 1854, Mr. Olive joined Captain Young's party bound for California. Leaving Galena. in April, now commenced a series of hardships and adventures from which the staunchest might turn. On their weary journey across the endless plains they were twice attacked by Indians, on the Platte River and at Steamboat Springs, but exercising extreme caution and displaying no fear they made their way safely through the dangers seen and unseen. On June 26th, the desert was crossed and Raytown gained; thence they proceeded by Beckwith Cut-off to Bidwell's Bar, finally arriving at Sacramento, August II, 1854. Here our subject found employment with the California Stage Company. March 3, 1856, he removed to Stockton, followed his old occupation until March, 1862, when he purchased a farm in Merced County, and resided there three years. At the end of that time he took up his residence in Stockton until 1865, when he took charge of Dooley & Co's. stage line until 1872, and on C. H. Sisson becoming proprietor remained with him until 1876, when he purchased an interest in the stage line which retaining until 1879 then removed to Contra Costa County, settling on the Fish Ranch, eight miles from Oakland.
LUTHER E. OSGOOD.—Was born at Blue Hill, Hancock County, Maine, June 17, 1831, where he received his education and resided until he grew to man's estate. In November, 1852, he sailed from New York to Aspinwall in the Illinois on his way to California. On the Isthmus the poetry of travel commenced to wear away. Half of the journey across was performed on foot; however, the Pacific shore was attained, and thence taking passage on the Golden Gate, the city of San Francisco was reached December 17, 1852. In January, 1853, Mr. Osgood came to Centreville, found employment with a Mr. Torrey for one year, and subsequently found various occupations in different places until November, 1857, when he returned to the scenes of his youth in the State of Maine, married, and in the following May returned to the Golden State. Coming to Alameda County at this time, 1858, he located on the place to which he had come in 1853, situated about three miles south of Centreville, comprising one hundred acres. In 1874. he purchased the Morgan Ranch, adjoining his property. In 188o he transferred his residence to Washington Corners, where he purchased of Judge A. M. Crane the property on the San Jose road, on which he now resides. In the fall of 1875, Mr. Osgood was elected to the office of Township Assessor and has been chosen to fill that position for no less than four terms, while he is its present incumbent. He is a charter member of the Washington Township Pioneer Association, and has been its Treasurer ever since organization. Married in Blue Hill, February 7, 1858, Miss Sarah P. Hinckley, a native of Maine, by whom he has had a family of two children, viz.: Annie E. (deceased), and Blanche A. The twenty-fifth anniversary of their marriage was duly celebrated February 7, 1883.
ADAM A. OVERACKER.—Was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, May 26, 1814. He resided on his father's farm until he attained the age of sixteen years, when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Lodi Plains, Michigan. Here he received his education and resided for fourteen years. At this time Mr. Overacker took unto himself a wife, and transferring his habitation to McHenry County, Illinois, there dwelt two years, when he moved to Jones County, Iowa, and engaged in farming at that place for twenty years. In 1854 he traded his farm to a Mr. Hollenbeck for sheep in California. —what was supposed to be a goodly herd—and forthwith proceeded to the Pacific Coast to take possession, but found on arrival at Centreville, that there were only five hundred head all told. For two years our subject was a resident of the Centreville district; he then removed to Murray Township, and in 1866 purchased his present property, comprising three hundred and twenty acres, situated one mile east from Livermore, where he engaged in general farming. Mr. Overacker has held the office of Secretary of the Board of School Trustees for five years. Married, August 28, 1836, Miss Phl!be W. Patterson, a native of the State of New York, by whom there has been .a family of seven children, five of whom survive, viz.: Horace T., George P., Mary (now Mrs..(. L. Weilbye), Lula (now Mrs. L. A. Summers), and Alice P. (now Mrs. Geo. Hawkin.A
HOWARD OVERACKER.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appea-i in this work, is the son of Michael and Lucinda (Briggs) Overacker, and was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, November 21, 1.828. When an infant five years old he was taken by his parents to Sharon, Michigan, where they located, and our subject had his early schooling, as well as being trained to hold the plough and watch the season's change. Residing on a farm, he then heard the wild alarum ring that hold had been discovered in the tail-race of a mill in California. With such prospects ahead he at once made up his mind to tempt the "fickle dame," and in December, 1851, left Michigan for New York, whence he sailed on the steamer Daniel Welter, January 1, 1852. Traveling by the Nicaragua route, after a voyage, unmarred by any incident of moment, our subject landed in San Francisco on the 15th February. To reach the gold-bearing sections of the State was now his chiefest wish. He almost immediately proceeded to Placerville and after engaging in mining for some six months, with but moderate success, determined to turn his attention to farming, therefore coming to Alameda County in November, 1852, he located in the vicinity of Centreville, where he remained until the fall of 1855, when he visited his early home, bringing out a young wife. In 1856, in partnership with his brother, Michael 0 \Tracker, the property now owned by the widow of the latter was purchased, and there he maintained a residence for four years. In 186o he revisited the home of his youth, taking with him his wife and child, returning to California in April of the same year. On arrival he purchased his present farm of two hundred and sixty acres, situated about half a mile northeast of Centreville, where he is extensively engaged in fruit-raisink; his elegant residence was erected in 1867. Like all pioneers brought up on the frontier Mr. Overacker has a great love of the chase. To wage war against the savage grizzly was with him a passion; his scars but tell the tale of his unyielding pluck; a broken arm and several ribs but speak of hair-breadth escapes. As pomologist and agriculturist he has no superior; as a genuine man he has but few peers, -while, as a trustworthy citizen he is an honor to the community in which he resides. These virtues have borne their reward. In 1862 he was elected from Washington Township to fill the position of Supervisor, being elected four years in succession, and - was again called upon to assume these functions in 1871, while such was the estimation in which he was held by his associates that he _was called upon to assume the Chair, and presided during one year. In 1878 he retired from public life and is now enjoying a well-earned rest from official labor. Married in Jones County, Iowa, January 28, 1856, Miss Dora Monroe, a native of New York, and has the following family, Fleda (now Mrs. John A. Bunting), Howard, Jr., Kate, Elizabeth, and Michael.
OWEN R. OWEN.—Was born in the Isle of Anglesea, North Wales, March 31, 1846, and there resided until he attained the age of eighteen years. He then emigrated to California by way of Panama, arriving in San Francisco April 3o, 1863. After paS-sing three years as shipping-clerk in the employ of Charles Clayton, San Francisco, he came to Alameda County, commenced farming on the Dougherty Ranch, and there continued until 1869, when he moved to Livermore and the place on which he now lives, having some fifteen hundred acres under cultivation. These he relinquished in 1882, when he purchased one hundred and eighty acres, and is now engaged in agricultural pursuits of a general nature. Married in Dublin, Alameda County, February 24, 1878, Miss Mary E. Murphy, a native of Alvarado, Alameda County, by whom he has had a family of three children, viz.: William J. (deceased), Edward Roland, and Owen R., Jr.
ROBERT FOSTER PATTEN.—The subject of this sketch, one of the three veritable pioneers of the city of Oakland, whose portrait appropriately finds a place in this volume, is the son of William and Ruth (Foster) Patten, and was born in Washington County, Maine, February 8, 1798. In early life he learned the tanner's trade, like his father before him, and in 1812 accompanied his parents to Nova Scotia, where they had taken up their residence, and our subject resided until he attained the age of twenty-four years. At this period he returned to his relatives in Maine, where he passed the next seven years. Subsequently returning to the British possessions, in connection with his younger brother, he embarked in the business of carriage-building in New Brunswick, and thus continued until making up his mind to join the thousands that were flocking to the mines of the Pacific Coast. Sailing from Boston, Massachusetts, in the ship Sweden, Captain Cotting, via Cape Horn, on March I, 1849, he landed in San Francisco August 4th of the same year, and there joined his brother William, whose arrival had preceded that of our subject by about twenty days. In February, 1850, Mr. Patten and his two brothers crossed the bay, made up their minds to settle upon the place now occupied by that portion of East Oakland known as Clinton, obtained a lease of one hundred and sixty acres, in the following year acquired four hundred and eighty acres more, and there continued farming 'four years. For full particulars of the transactions of the Patten Brothers we would itge‘ the reader to the history of Brooklyn Township on page 413 of this work. Here have the two brothers, Robert and William, resided ever since—the third brother, Edward C., died in April, 1852—respected by the entire community as honest, upright men. The subject of our memoir never married. His brother William Patten, who was born December 30, i800, married, in 1854, and has one child.
GEORGE W. PATTERSON.—Was born in East Berlin, Adams County, Pennsylvania, July 26, 1822, and in early childhood removed with his parents, Henry and Lydia (Kimmel) Patterson, to Greene County, Ohio. There they resided on a farm till the fall of 1832, when they moved to Tippecanoe County, Indiana, and followed farming as before. Early in the year 1849 a joint-stock company was organized in La Fayette, for the purpose of mining and trading in California. This company was composed of about twenty members, and each, of whom our subject was one, contributed five hundred dollars to the common fund. They left La Fayette March 13, 1849; thence by steamer via New Orleans to Port Lavaca, Texas, and with teams and pack-horses overland via San Antonio, Santa Rosa, and Durango to Mazatlan. The journey was made in the midst of cholera, of which one member (Jerry Starr) died near Durango, and was toilsome and slow from Texas to the Pacific. They remained a week awaiting a vessel, and finally sailed July 13th on the brig Louisa, touching there from Sydney. They were forty-seven days out, with barely enough water to live, and arrived in San Francisco, August 29, 1849. Here in the harbor were supplies that they had ordered from New York six months before. The company having dissolved, the goods were divided and the members separated. Our subject, with four others, went to the American River mines, where they worked more or less successfully, and the next summer went to the Trinity mines. But with bad investments and heavy expenses, at the end of fifteen months he found himself broken doWn physically and financially, and came to Alameda County about January 1, 1851, to recuperate, engaged in farming; since he has been moderately successful. Was married July II, 1877, to Miss Clara Hawley, a native of -California. Has two children, Henry G. and William H. Patterson, aged respectively five and two years.
NATHANIEL GREENE PATTERSON.—Was born in Greene County, East Tennessee, March 23, 1820, but at nine years of age was taken by his parents to Greeneville District, South Carolina, where he attended school and resided for nine years. At this period of his life he proceeded to Jackson County, Missouri, and while a resident of that place made two trips to Santa Fe, the first journey being undertaken in 1842, and the second in the following year. On his return from this last expedition he went to a place called Pueblo, on the Arkansas River, at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, but he returned shortly after and made a trip to Georgia, after which he came back to Missouri in 1842. In 1846 he left for the then little known region of the Pacific Coast, and after enduring the thousand and one hardships incidental to crossing the plains at that early date, arrived at the hospitable gates of Sutter's Fort, September 5, 1846. He now returned to meet his fellow-immigrants, whom he had left at Fort Hall, and falling in with them at the place where the town of Wadsworth now stands, on the Truckee River, accompanied them into the sloping valleys and rolling foot-hills of California, once more arriving at Sutter's Fort, in the month of October. He here joined Fremont's Battalion, Company C, Captain Granville Swift, and J. C. Baldridge, Lieutenant, and with it served until 1847, when he entered the quartermaster's department of the regular army, where he was civilly employed. In the fall of that year he was engaged by Governor Mason ,and Secretary of State S Halleck to carry the United States Mail from Monterey to San Francisco, which he did until June, 1848. And now there was no doubt that the canons of the Sierras teemed with gold; therefore, Mr. Patterson proceeded to the American River, and embarked in the exciting pursuit of gold-hunting. By the fall of that year he had drifted down to the Tuolumne Mines, where now is the town of Sonora; but at the end of six months left to winter in the Pueblo de San Jose. In the spring of 18:-.)0 he kept a feed and livery stable, in partnership with his brother, in Stockton, and in the month of March of the same year removed to the Las Pocitas Rancho of Robert Livermore, where he remained until March, 1851, building a house, however, during 1850, on the property now known as "Negley's Place," two miles from the spot now called Bantas. In June, 1851, Mr. Patterson returned to Missouri, and thence visited his birthplace in Tennessee, returning to Missouri in 1852; and there, with his brothers, A. J. and D. C. Patterson, he fitted out a freight team for Salt Lake City and California, where they arrived in the latter half of the same year. Having remained in the Golden State until November, 1853, at that time we find our subject once more returning to Missouri, where, in the following spring, he fitted out another train for Salt Lake and California. The journey from the first-named place was undertaken by way of the Sink of the Humboldt, and here commenced a series of misadventures that culminated in their being obliged to leave thirty new wagons on the desert between the Humboldt and Carson Rivers, on account of -the live-stock being taken sick. Leaving a brother in charge of the train, Mr. Patterson- pushed on to the Livermore Valley in a wagon; there he settled and commenced operations on his present place in October, 1854, since when he has been engaged in pastoral and agricultural pursuits. Married in Independence, Missouri, April 12, 1852, Miss Kate Simpson, a native of Tennessee, and has had seven children, only two of whom survive, viz.: Charles T. and Susie (now Mrs. Davis). Those deceased are: Nellie, Lee, Frank, Andrew, and Willie.
CIPRIANO PEDRINI—Was born in Switzerland, February 18, 1832, and there resided until the year 1851, when he emigrated to the United States, and lived in the city of New York until the 7th of September, on which date he sailed for California by way of Panama, landing in San Francisco on October 7, 1851. At the end of three weeks he went to the mines in Yuba County, but in 185-3 returned to the Bay City. In the spring of 1854 he proceeded to Garden Valley, El Dorado County, opened a store, and conducted it for twenty years, when, selling out in 1877, he came to Alameda County, located at Temescal,- and built the block in which he carries on his grocery business. Married in San Francisco, December 27, 1861, Miss Mary Broner, a native of Switzerland, and has three children, viz.: Joseph M., Louisa J., and William C.
THOMAS HAMEL PINKERTON, M. D.—Was born in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, June 20, 1817, and is the son of Archibald and Frances (Walker) Pinkerton. At the age, of nine years he was taken by his parents to Andover, Essex County, in the same State. At the end of three years they moved to Lynn, in the same county, where he resided three years more, and then moved to West Cambridge. In 1838 the subject of this sketch moved to Watertown, Massachusetts, whence, in 1841, he went to Boston and resided until 1855, in which year he entered the Harvard Medical College, from which he graduated in 1859. He now practiced in Boston until September, 1860, when he came to California by way of Cape Horn, arriving in San Francisco January 5, 1861. After a sojourn of two weeks there, he proceeded to Virginia City, Nevada, and after practicing for awhile, was elected City and County Physician, a position he held. for five consecutive years. Under his regime the County Hospital there w.is erected, while, about the same time, he was appointed by the Government United16tates Contract Surgeon for the State of Nevada, the functions of which he performed during the years 1864 and 1865. In November, 1866, he married Miss Mary Josephine Atwill, and moved to Oakland, where he commenced the practice of his profession, and where he still resides. Dr. Pinkerton was elected Physician to the city of Oakland in 1869, and in the following year was called upon by the suffrages of the people to fill the position of Health Officer, an office he successfully filled for four years. He has been also President of the State Medical Society; was one of the incorporators of the Alameda County Medical Association, and was its first President; and, indeed, has held many high positions in medical circles. An excellent portrait of the Doctor will be found in this volume.
CHAS. A. PLUMMER.—Was born in Boston, Massachusetts, October 16, 1841, and there resided until December 23, 1852, when, with his mother and brother, he sailed on the ship Golden West, Captain Curwin, via Cape Horn, to join his father, who had preceded him three years, in California; and after a tedious voyage of four months, landed in San Francisco April 13, 1853. Mr. Plummer now went to the Happy Valley School two years, a low, tumble-down building on Minna, near Second Street, James Denman principal, and surrounded by sand-hills, and at the age of fourteen years commenced the battle of life. In September, 1858, he proceeded, in the salmon-fishing trade, to Eel River, Humboldt County, where he remained until January, 1861. Returning to San Francisco, he entered the service of E. D. Heatley, with whom he remained two years in the grain-shipping business, after which he went into the coal and wood trade until March, 1865, when he came with his father to Washington Township, Alameda County, where the latter had established himself the year preceding, in the Crystal Salt-works, near Newark, and now superintended by J. A. Plummer, Jr, Our subject remained on the above works until September, 1872, in which year he established himself where he at present resides. In November, 1870, accompanied by his father, he returned to the Eastern States, by way of Panama, and after a stay of two months came back overland to his former home near Newark. In 1872 he established himself on his extensive salt-works, located a mile south from Alvarado, where, in partnership with his brother, John A. Plummer, Jr., he is engaged in the manufacture of salt, owning two salt-works—one near Alvarado, the "Turk Island " Salt-works, and the other the Crystal Salt-works, near Newark— the firm name being Plummer Brothers. Mr. Plummer is a member of the Washington Township Pioneer Association, and Noble Grand of the Alvarado Lodge, I. 0. 0. F. Married September 24, 1874, Miss Annie M. Miller, a native of New York, and has no issue.
JOHN ALLEN PLUMMER, Jr.—Was born in Boston, Massachusetts, June 3, 1839, and is the son of John A. and Elizabeth E. Plummer. He received his education at the Lexington Academy, and on December 14, 1852, set sail from Boston in the clipper ship, Golden West, around Cape Horn to San Francisco, where he arrived on the l0th of April, being one hundred and twenty-six days on the voyage. Here, joining his father, with his mother and brother, they took up their residence in San Francisco until 1858, when our subject moved to Eel River, Humboldt County, and engaged in salmon-fishing. In December, 186o, he returned to the Bay City, where he became grain inspector and shipper for E. D. Headley until July, 1864. Mr. Plummer afterwards went to Santa Clara, and for several months was in charge of a flouring-mill there. In 1866 he returned to San Francisco, at the request of 1. Friedlander, who took him in his employ as grain inspector, shipper, and clerk, there remaining until March, 1870, when, resigning his position, he came to reside at his present home and carry on the Crystal Salt-works, which had been established by his father in 1864. A full history of this enterprise will be found in its proper place Mr. Plummer married May 3, 1868, Miss Gertrude Blaney, and has two children: Crystal and Walter.
HERMANN POHLMANN.—Was born in Germany, April 10, 1855, an there resided on a farm until 1871, in which year he emigrated to the United States, after; he settled in the State of Nebraska. In 1875 he came to California, located in San Jose, and resided there six years; was in business there three years. In March, 1882, 11 he took possession of the Twelve-mile House, on the San Jose Road, where he has four acres of ground, and at present resides.
WILLIAM POINSETT.—This old settler, whose portrait appears in this work, was, born in Burlington County, New Jersey, February I, 1830; there received his education, and resided on a farm until he attained the age of twenty-two years, at which period he came to California, sailing from the city of New York on July 6, 1852, by, way of the Nicaragua Route, and arriving in San Francisco on the 2d of August el the same year, the trip being made in the remarkably short space of twenty-seven days. A short time after landing he crossed the bay to what is now Alameda County, and found employment at Alvarado, but at the end of sixteen months he rented land and embarked in farming operations on his own account, where he continued until the fall of 1856, when he removed to San Pablo, Contra Costa County, and until 1858 followed the like occupation there. He then moved his family to Berkeley, where he has since made his home. Mr. Poinsett has under cultivation about six hundred acres of land, which is leased, and the thriftiness of his surroundings shows the good practical farmer that he is. He has paid out sixty thousand dollars as rent for land leased in fifteen years past. He has held the position of Town Councillor of Berkeley, but has never aspired to other public functions, being contented with his lot as a tiller of the soil; indeed, he has never had any other ambition; and, strange to say, he is one of the very few that, on first arrival in the country, did not tempt fortune in the gold-producing regions. It is such men as he that help to make a country like the United States what she is. By an honest and upright course of action through life, he has earned the well-deserved respect of his fellow-citizens, and his own honesty has brought, not only a fair share of this world's goods, but the contentment only to be gained by a knowledge that he has won the praise of "Well done, thou good and faithful servant!" He married in Oakland, October 28, 1858, Mrs. Homer, adopted daughter of Joseph H. Coombs, formerly District Attorney of Alameda County, and has a family of five children, viz.: Harvey, Elwood, Alice, William, and Anna May.
RICHARD T. POPE.—Was born in Plymouth, Massachusetts, May 25, 1824, learned the trade of carpenter, and resided there until he made up his mind to face the trials of a journey to the newly discovered gold-mines of California. On March 1o, 1849, Mr. Pope sailed out of, New York Harbor, on board the bark Mallory, via Cape Horn for San Francisco, where he arrived on the I3th September. He at once proceeded to the Mariposa Mines, and there was engaged with pans and pick until 1854, in the fall of which year he came to Alameda County, and located on the farm now owned by J. P. Smith, in Livermore Valley, where he followed stock-raising as an occupation, and resided for eleven years. Selling out in 1865 to Sanders Simpson, he moved farther up the valley and purchased his present property of one hundred and sixty acres, to which, however, he has since added, until his possessions now comprise fully three thousand acres. Mr. Pope is principally engaged in sheep-farming, his stock on hand numbering twenty- five hundred head. He was once elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, but declined to serve; while he lives, it may be said, a happy and contented life, although it is one of single blessedness.
JOHN PROCTOR.—Was born in Lancashire, England, May I, 1812, and there resided until he attained the age of eighteen years. Then taking passage at Liverpool, he sailed for the United States, and arrived in New Orleans in April, 183o. He at once proceeded up the Mississippi in the first steamer that ever plied on the mighty "Father of Waters," and settling in Monroe City, Illinois, there followed farming until making up his mind to come to California. Accompanied by his wife and three children, he sailed from New York, and making the journey via the Nicaragua Route, arrived in San Francisco December 18, 1853. Coming direct to Alameda County, Mr. Proctor located on the eighty-acre tract on which he now resides, situated about two miles from Centreville, where he is engaged in general farming and fruit-raising. Married to Nancy Monks, a native of Lancashire, England, and has three surviving children, viz.: John T. Monks, Eliza Ann, and Alice E.
JOHN HARVEY PROWSE.—Was born near Galena, Jo. Davies& County, Illinois, October 12, 1843, and is the son of Thomas and Elvina (Bradshaw). Prowse. Having resided with his father and mother until he reached the age of twenty years, in the year 1864 he emigrated to Montana Territory, and embarked in mining operalx544:-.,,-- stock-raising, and finally, after four years, came to California, settled on his present ranch of two hundred and sixty-five acres, and is now engaged in general farming and cattle-rearing. Ala excellent portrait of Mr. Prowse will be found in this work. Married, December 24, 1873, Miss Sophonia Jackson, and has: Ellary E., Thomas H., and Winnie.
C. J. PULLEN.—Was born in Monmouth County, New Jersey, August 12, 1848, and there learned the trade of machinist and engineer. He left the Eastern States November Do, 1871, for California, and on arrival first located in San Francisco, where he remained working at his calling for ten years, during a portion of which time (six years and a half) he was chief engineer of the cable road of the Clay-street Railroad Company. On October 1, 1881, he came to Alameda County, located in Livermore, leased the Livermore Hotel, added considerably to it, and has made it one of the best hostelries in the county. It is situated at the corner of Main and Lizzie Streets, opposite Mill Square. He married in San Francisco October .13, 1875, Miss Julia A. Barss, a native of Placerville, El Dorado County, California.
PETER PUMYEA.—The subject of this sketch was born in Fulton County, Illinois, May 17, 1844, and there resided on his father's farm until coming to California three brothers, and four sisters. A month's voyage by the Panama Route, from New York, landed them in San Francisco, on June 16, 1854, whence the family proceeded to Marysville, Yuba County, where our subject was engaged in farming until 1865. He then came to Oakland and entered the Brighton College for two years, when he returned to Marysville and became the proprietor of the New York Livery Stables, and there continued in that business until the year 1873. At that time he came to Oakland, and, purchasing an interest in the Newlands Stables, has ever since been one of its proprietors. In 1876 Mr. Pumyea was elected to the distinction of one of the Board of Supervisors of Alameda County, and served with credit alike to himself and his constituents until 1879, being for two years chairman of that body. Thenceforward he gave his attention to the livery business; but knowing his capabilities so well, he was, on October 3, 188i,, selected by his fellow-citizens to fill the responsible office of Chief of Police, the functions of which he continues to carry out with a marked degree of efficiency, making for the city of Oakland the-most efficient, energetic, and in every way capable Chief she has ever had. To know Mr. Pumyea is to appreciate his sterling merits, while to have official and private dealings with him is to learn his manly worth, and recognize his unimpeachable character. He married in Jackson, Amador County, January 23, 1877, Miss Lovine Turner, a native of Ohio, by whom he had a child, now deceased.
JOSEPH RALPH (deceased).—Was born in New Jersey, in the year 1819, and there resided with his parents until he attained the age of twenty-three years, at which time he went into the hotel business in New Egypt, Ocean County, in the same State. There he remained until 1852, when he left for California, by way of the Nicaragua Route, arriving in San Francisco in August of that year. He immediately crossed the bay to what is now Alameda County, and settling in Washington Township, opened a hotel in Union City, which he conducted until 1854, when he acquired ranch of one hundred acres, near Alvarado, where he resided until his death, on tYlay 20, 1876. Married in New Jersey, in 1842, Miss Fanetta Homer, by whom there are four surviving children, viz.: William T., Ivens, George C., and Francis.
HON. R. A. REDMAN.—Flavius Josephus, the ancient Jewish Historian, says, in speaking of the creation of man (Book I., chap. 1), that Adam, in the Hebrew tongue, signifies one that is red, and the first man being made of red earth was therefore called Adam." Messrs. Nott & Glydon, in their "Types of Mankind" (page 573) , admit that the word, AD tz.17 , consists of two words, which, when applied to man, signify red man. The subject of this sketch, therefore, may justly claim to be a direct lineal descendant of the " first family" of Eden. His American ancestry, however, dates back to the times of Lord Baltimore, in the early settlement of Maryland. Dr. Joshua Winn Redman, the father, was born near the City of Baltimore, and was graduated in medicine, at Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky, in 4821, when he married Miss Jane Redman, a distant relative, and connected with the Breckenridges of Kentucky. About this time that portion of Missouri which had been ceded to the United States from Spain, as part of the Louisiana purchase, was attracting much attention, and Dr. Redman, with his young bride, removed to St. Louis, and thence to the border town of. Franklin, in the county of Howard, on the Missouri River, where he afterwards became distinguished as a physician, a man of fine military attainments, and for many years a leading Democrat, representing his county in the State Legislature, he was, regarded as a man of unusual ability, an able debater, and of great personal courage. After abandoning the practice of medicine, which he had followed for twenty years, he took up that of the law, having also studied that profession in his younger days. It was said of him not long since, in a Missouri paper, .that he was at one and the same time, a Colonel, a Doctor, a Lawyer, a Notary Public, a Justice of the Peace, and a Postmaster. He was afterwards a Brigadier-General, and commanded a brigade on the field at the time of the "Mormon difficulties" in Missouri. He was likewise the first County Judge of Santa Clara, in this State, having been elected to that office in 185o, for the term of four years, and died in Santa Clara in 1857, having amassed a considerable fortune. The town of "Old Franklin" was located on the north bank of the raging and ever-changing Missouri River, surrounded by dense forests, filled with wild and savage Indians, and was the semi-annual rendezvous for Santa Fe traders, mountain trappers, speculators, etc. It was at this place that Rezin Augustus Redman was born, January 8, 1829, and where he spent his early boyhood, much of the time being wasted in fishing, hunting, etc., having lost his mother at the age of eight years. He then became an inmate of the family of his uncle, the Rev. Wm. W. Redman, then residing in St. Louis, for the purpose of receiving an education. After a residence of two years in St. Louis, he went to the Academy of Clinton, Missouri, the principal being, his cousin, A. C. Redman. Whilst here at school the discovery of gold in California became a fixed fact, and Dr. Redman sent immediately for his son to go with him to the golden shores of the Pacific, and together they set out for the journey across the plains, in May, 1849, reaching the headwaters of the North Fork of the American River, in the Sierra Nevada, on pack-mules, having left the teams to follow, on the 1st of August, 1849, when they went to work mining, with washbowl, knife, and spoon, and continued this quite successfully for three months; thence they went to Sacramento, and remaining a few weeks there, proceeded to San. Francisco. About this time the first Legislature met at San Jose, to which place they made up their minds to go and spend the winter. As they sailed out from San Francisco, in a small whale-boat, for San Jose, and looking towards the east across the bay, towards where Oakland and her suburbs now stand, with their fifty thousand inhabitants, there was not a single but nor a sign of human habitation to be seen, so far as the eye could reach. Dr. Redman immediately entered upon the practice of the Spanish law at San Jose—the son doing at the time clerical services in the office, at the same time studying Spanish law, and trying to fathom the mysteries of old Spanish documents—until, as has been seen, Dr. Redman was elected County Judge; R. A. Redman was then appointed Deputy County Treasurer under the "old pioneer," John M. Murphy, Esquire. In December of 185o, our subject concluded to return East to complete his education, and then come back to San Jose. Taking leave of his father, he proceeded to Mexico; thence to New Granada; thence to Havana, Cuba, where he spent the winter; returning to Franklin, via New Orleans, in 1851, where he entered into the mercantile business as copartner in the firm of Powell & Redman, and afterwards as copartner in the mercantile house of A. Lory & Co. In 1852 then sold out, two of the partners. coming to California, viz.: A. Lory, now of El Dorado County; and C. E. Wilcoxon of Sutter, now a member of the State Board of Equalization ; and Mr. Redman going to the University of Louisville, Kentucky, where he attended the sessions of 1852 and 1853. At the close of the session of 1853, in March, Mr. Redman made a tour of the Atlantic States as far west as Council Bluffs, and east again into Canada; thence from New York to the West India Islands; and thence, via Panama, to San Francisco, at which place he arrived in July of that year. A few months afterwards he entered the law office of Hoge & Wilson for the purpose of familiarizing himself with local .practice. In 1854 Mr. Redman was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court, and in a short time opened an office in San Jose. In 1858 he was elected to the State Senate for the Fourth District, which then comprised Alameda and Santa Clara Counties, his term of office expiring December 31, 186o, at which time he removed to San Francisco, and entered again upon the practice of the law. Mr. Redman came to Oakland to reside in 1872, but kept his office "over in the city" until 1874, when he was appointed Court Commissioner by Judge S. B. McKee, which office he resigned in 1878, to accept that of County Judge of Alameda, to which he had been appointed by Governor Irwin, on the resignation of S. G. Nye. This office he held until by the New Constitution County Courts gave place to the Superior Courts, since which time Judge Redman has been engaged and still is in the practice. of law. He has not been out of the State for thirty years, except to the Pacific Coast States and Territories; and having made and spent a large amount of money in that time he may be truly said to have "seen the elephant," and being blessed with a good memory and some literary attainments,- doubtless could furnish interesting accounts of the changes which time has wrought. Judge Redman ranks amongst lawyers of the first class, and stands well with his brethren of the .bar. This sketch would be very incomplete if the following were left out, viz.: that he has known his wife ever since she was a, child seven years old, and all that time in California, she also being a " forty-niner:" They have eleven children. He was married on the 2d day of January, 1860, in Santa Clara County, to Miss Bettie Bascom, daughter of the late Dr. Louis H. -Bascom of San Jose, and. niece of the distinguished American orator and divine, Bishop Henry B. Bascom of Kentucky. Mrs. Redman is a native of that 'State, coming across the plains in 1849, with her father, at the age of seven years. She was educated at the old "Bascom Institute," in San Jose—a lady of superior natural talents, highly cultivated, and a devoted wife and mother. In religious belief Judge Redman and wife are converts to the Roman Catholic Church. An excellent and characteristic portrait of the Judge will be found in this volume.
WILLIAM W. REID.—Was born in Dundee, Forfarshire, Scotland, February 13, 1832, and there was educated in the famous parochial schools of that country. In the year 1852 he sailed from Liverpool to the United States, and arriving in San Francisco in December, there remained until the following February, when he went to the mines in Tuolumne County and toiled in the neighborhood of Sonora and Columbia, as well as on Brown's Flat. Proceeding to Santa Cruz in July, 1853, he there invested in a crop of potatoes, but the venture proving a failure he entered the employ of Davis & Jordan, who were about to start a limekiln, and while with them broke the first ground for kiln purposes in that county. 'In June, 1854, he came to San Leandro on a visit, and in the fall of that year returned to the mines in Tuolumne County, where he remained until June, 1855, when he went back to San Leandro and was variously employed until the fall of the year, when he once more hied himself unto the mines. Mr. Reid thus continued working in the mines during the winter months and in summer at farming in the vicinity of San Leandro, until the fall of 1857, when he bought out the harness business of Edward Morgan there, where he has since continued. He has served as Town Trustee for three years, and is the President of Union Hose Company No. 1, of San Leandro. Married, December 6, 1857,- Miss Hannah McKenn, and has: Celestine, William J., Emily, Charles, Clara, and Jessie, the two last named being deceased.
HILAIRE REMILLARD.—Was born in Lower Canada, December 18, 1833, and there resided with his parents until 1852, in which year he moved to Boston, Massachusetts, and there embarked in brick-making, which he followed until 1854. He then emigrated to California via the Nicaragua route, and arriving in San Francisco February 17th of that year, at once proceeded to the mines in Nevada County, where he remained until 1860. He now came to Alameda County, and at the time of the Idaho excitement, proceeded to that territory, but returning after an absence of two years, he settled in Oakland and commenced the manufacture of bricks there, an occupation he still follows. Married in 1868, Miss Eveline Lavoux, and has one child named, Eveline.
CHARLES H. RICE.—Was born in Belfort, France, October I I, 1831, and is the son of John J. and B. (Schodel) Rice, but at five years old was taken by his parents to the United States, and locating in New Orleans, there resided until 1850. In that year he came to California, and embarking in his trade of butcher in San Francisco, there continued until 1863. At this time he moved to Nevada, and followed the same business in Virginia City, where he remained until 1867, when, coming to Alameda County, he settled in the same occupation in Oakland, and, in 1872, formed a co partnership with James J. White, in the butcher business, the firm now doing business at Nos. 2 to 6 City Market. Married in January, 1857, Miss Jennie Francis Mc-Namara, and has four surviving children, viz.: Octavia, Charles, George, -and Edward.
EDWIN A. RICHMOND.—Was born in Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, December 16, 1837, and -there learned the trade of machinist, and resided until 1858, when he proceeded to Canada, and dwelt there for two years. At this period he took passage at New York on board the ship Twilight—the only other passenger being a son of the world-renowned P. T: Barnum, of " wonders" notoriety—and after a voyage of one hundred and nine days, landed in San Francisco May 2, 1860. He was here joined by a brother from- Santa Clara County. Mr Richmond now engaged with L. A. Gould to. proceed to Virginia City, Nevada, to set up engines, which being accomplished, he-returned to California, and after a short stay in Sacramento, came to Alvarado and found employment as engineer of C. J. Stevens' grist-mill. At the end of three years he moved to San Francisco, and two years thereafter proceeded to the Black Diamond Coal Mines, in Contra Costa County, where he worked at his trade for a twelvemonth. Our subject next took charge of brass-finishing in H. Adam's shop, Sacramento, and subsequently, returning to Alvarado, there took up his domicile and has since resided. In 1877 he was appointed Postmaster of Alvarado, and agent for Wells, Fargo & Co., while he has held the office of Justice of the Peace, for the past six years. Married July 3, 1872, Miss Lizzie Butterwerth, a native of England, and has four children, viz.: William B., Edwin A. Jr., Allen B., and Ralph W.
JOHN J. RISER.—This pioneer of California, was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, June 4, 1824, and there resided with his parents until the year 1831, when they emigrated to the United States, and first settled in Ohio. At the end of a twelvemonth they fixed their residence in Richland County, in the same State, and finally, in 1840, located in Marion County, where our subject learned the boot and shoe maker's trade. In 1842 he moved with his brother to the State of Illinois, and after residing for a time in Hancock County, transferred his abode to Quincy, Adams County.- At the end of one year and eight months he returned to Hancock County, and in, 1844 paid a visit to the Atlantic States, returning in 1845, and joining his brother in his labors. In the following year, 1846, on the declaration of war between the United States and Mexico, Captain James Allen, of the First Regiment of Dragoons, received instructions from Colonel Kearney, commanding the troops at Fort Leavenworth, to visit the Mormon camps, and accept the service for--4..iyelv_e_ months of four or five companies, for service in Mexico, this force to unite with the Army of the West at Santa Fe, and be marched thence to California, where they would be discharged. On July r6, 1846, five companies of over four hundred men, all told, were mustered into the service of the United States at Council Bluffs, Iowa Territory, and in the ranks of Company C, James Brown, Captain, was the subject of this memoir: With his enlistment commenced a series of hardships, which Mr. Riser encountered cheerfully, and without complaint, as became a true soldier. The march from Santa Fe, through what is now called Arizona, into California, was a continued succession of privations; the weak succumbed, only the robust survived. During this march of a thousand miles, stragglers were many, and the famished not a few. On July 16, 1847, the battalion was mustered out of the service, and re-enlisted for eight months. At the end of enlistment, he, with twenty-three others, made a wagon-road to Salt Lake City in 185o. Mr. Riser established himself as a permanent resident of this State, although he paid a two year's visit to Utah between 1848 and 1850. On the 11th day of April of the latter year, he started to cross the plains to California by ox-team, and arrived July 7th. During that summer he stayed in the vicinity of Sacramento, after which he moved to Auburn, El Dorado County, and there remained until June, 1851, when he came to Alameda County and commenced farming. In October, 1854, he acquired his present property, comprising eighty-five acres, and situated in Washington Township, where he is now residing. Mr. Riser married December 25, 1848, Helen R. Allen, a native of the State of New York, and has: Catharine, George C., Charles W., May Belle, Franklin A., and Helen R.
WILLIAM ROBERTS.—Was born in Liverpool, England, December 3, 183o, and at twelve years of age commenced a seafaring life, which he abandoned on coming to California. Arriving in San Francisco, March 27, 1850, he went direct to the mines in the vicinity of Marysville, Yuba County, but finding the water too high for mining, he returned to the neighborhood of Sacramento, where he remained one month, finally going back to the Bay City, where he commenced lightering. In October, 185o, he moved to Alameda County, and two years thereafter commenced business at Roberts' Landing, previously known by the name of Thompson's Landing, the land being purchased from the State. In 1853 he settled in San Lorenzo, where he now resides. Married, June 21, 1864, Miss Ellen M. Davenport, a lineal descendant of the Pilgrim Fathers, and has: Alice L., Andrew G., Caroline N., Ellen D., and Hattie E.
CHARLES KINGSLEY ROBINSON.—The subject of this sketch, formerly Mayor of the city of Oakland, was born in Mount Morris, Livingston County, New York, January 16, 1835. At the, age of three years he was taken by his parents to Michigan, who were among the organizers of Genesee County in that State. Having resided on the farm with his parents until he became seventeen years old, he then entered the Albion Seminary, Michigan, where he passed two years; he subsequently spent two years at Oberlin, and afterwards entered Antioch College, then under the famous Professor Horace Mann. From this seat of learning Mr. Robinson graduated in the literary department in June, 1857. He now essayed the difficult task of "teaching the young idea how shoot," and taught school for one year, after which he went to Detroit and studied law in the office of Howard, Bishop & Holbrook for a twelvemonth, thereafter taking a regular course in the Ann Arbor Law School, from which, in April, 186o, he graduated. Mr. Robinson then located in East Saginaw, Michigan, engaged in the practice of his profession, and resided there fifteen years. In 1861 he was appointed by President Lincoln United States Land Office Receiver, and performed the duties of the office up till the time of the President's death. He was married in Detroit, Michigan, July 3, 1861, to Miss Carrie M., daughter of Warren Williams of Connecticut, and has had a family of three children, viz.: Charles R. (deceased), Lillie L., and Inez L. - In January, 1866, he opened a banking-house in East Saginaw, under the firm name of C. K. Robinson & Co., he previously, however, having served as Cashier of the First National Bank of that town. He continued his banking-house till 1872, when it was merged into the Second National Bank of East Saginaw with Mr. Robinson as President for one year, from which position he afterwards retired, remaining, however, on the directorate of the bank. He now concluded to change his location, therefore, after spending two years in winding up his business, on January 4, 1875, he started for the sunny slopes of the Pacific. In the same month he arrived in Oakland, where he has since remained, devoting himself chiefly to literary. pursuits. In March, 1882, Mr. Robinson was elected to the office of Mayor of the city of Oakland, a distinguished position which he filled with much credit.
HON. HENRY ROBINSON.—The subject of this sketch was born in Chesterfield, Hampshire County,-Massachusetts. At an early age he removed with his father, Captain Josiah Robinson, to the adjoining town of Worthington, where he passed his youth engaged in farming, clerking in a store, and teaching school. He sailed for California in January, 1849, and arrived in San Francisco the following August. Shortly after his arrival he went to the northern mines, and, until 1854, was engaged in both. mining and trading, often employing from twenty-five to fifty men in mining, and keeping one and sometimes two stores. Close application to business undermined his health, and he sold out his trade in the fall of 1854, and went east in search of health. Failing to find it he returned to California and located in Marysville, remaining, however, but a few years, and his health becoming no better he removed to San Francisco, and the following year to Alameda, where he engaged in farming and fruit-culture, and where he still resides, In Marysville in 1856 he took an active part in the Republican reform movement of that year, it being the first national campaign of the Republican Party. The second year after locating in Alameda he was elected a member of the Board of Supervisors to represent both Alameda and Brooklyn Townships. The following year he was elected to the Assembly, and in 1865 he was elected to the Senate from Alameda County. He was President of the Board of Town Trustees for several years after the incorporation of the town of Alameda in 1872.
JESSE ROBINSON, M. D.—Was born in Hartwick, Otsego County, New York, August 28, 1825, where he received his early scholastic training and resided until he attained the age of eighteen years, when he went to Woodstock, Vermont, entered the medical school there, and after a course extending over three years graduated there from in 1846. In the fall of that year he proceeded to Lee County, Iowa, there commenced the practice of his profession, and resided until April, 1849, when being led captive by the seductive cry of gold, which rang from the Pacific to the Atlantic shores, he joined a train with ox-teams, accomplished the weary and dreary journey, and finally arrived in California, at Lawson's Ranch, in September, 1849. After trying his luck in the mines, and traveling about the State for some time, we find him in December, 1850, present at the organization of Shasta County, and at the election held there for public officers, was chosen its first' County Clerk. In the following summer he purchased a farm in Scott Valley, Siskiyou County, and commenced stock: raising. In the spring of 1853 he removed to Southern Oregon, engaged in a packing, saw, and grist mill business, and there continued until the fall of 1861. In this year he became Quartermaster of the First Regiment of Oregon Cavalry, United States Volunteers, and accompanied his regiment in the summers of 1862 and 1863, in its expeditions through the upper Snake River country and as far east as old Fort Hall; and was stationed at Fort Dalles, Oregon, in the winters of 1862 and 1863, and at Fort Vancouver, Washington Territory, the winter following, the balance of his four years' term of service being passed at Fort Boise, Idaho Territory. Having been mustered out of service on September 3o, 1865, at which time he was Chief Quartermaster of the District of Boise, he then embarked in farming operations in Jackson County, Oregon, until November 1868, when he came back to California, located in Oakland, where he engaged in various occupations until November 188o, at which time he received the position of Assessor of Oakland Township; was re-elected in November, 1882, is_ the present incumbent. Married, April 27, 1854, Miss Lavinia J. Constant, a native of Sangamon County, Illinois, and has four children, viz.: Edward C., Chester L., Thomas M., and Maury.
A. P. ROSE.—Was born in Fayal, Portugal, June 13, 1830, but when thirteen years of age went to Brazil, South America. The next seven years he served as steward on board of coasting steamers, after which he engaged in mercantile pursuits for six years. At the end of this time he shipped in a sailing-vessel for Baltimore and Boston, where he landed in 1856; here he earned his living for three years as a barber. In 1860 he took steamer for San Francisco, where he arrived on November 26th of that year, and after a month came to Alameda County, started a barber shop in Centreville, where he remained until 1867. In 1869 he embarked in farming and continued it six years, since when he has not been actively engaged in business. Is now a resident of Livermore, and leads a life of single blessedness.
FREDERICK ROSE.—Was born in Westphalia, Germany, May 19, 1826. Having resided with his parents until he attained the age of twenty-six years, our subject then sailed from Bremen for the United States, and arrived in New York in October, 1852. He afterward engaged in the grocery business in that city for five years, and in April, 1858, sailed by way of Panama for the Pacific Coast, arriving in San Francisco in the following month of May, with his brother Charles Rose. After working in a brewery for nine months, he returned to the Eastern States on business, but in the short space of twenty days, his face was once more turned towards California. On arrival he stayed for a little time in San Francisco, when he left and commenced teaming from Sacramento across the Sierra Nevada to Virginia City, and was the first to bring a load of freight to the town of Austin, Nevada. This occupation Mr. Rose followed for about four years, when he came to Alameda County, first located on the place now owned by Hon. Daniel Inman, but, November 1, 1866, settled on his present valuable property of one hundred and sixty acres, situated two miles and a half northeast from Livermore, where he is engaged in general farming and fruit-raising. Mr. Rose married in Livermore, Alameda County, California; Miss Amy Lindermann, a native of Holstein, Germany, and has eight children, viz.: Frederick C., William, Amy, John, Rudolph, August, Albert, and George W.
J. A. ROSE.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, was born in Pico, Azores Islands, in the month of May, 1850. At the age of thirteen years, becoming very anxious to make the Golden State his abode, he determined to leave not a stone unturned to gain this end, but at the very outset he was faced with a difficulty that would have deterred a less stanch heart. By the laws of Portugal no youth of thirteen years was permitted to leave the country or its dependencies. To get to California, however, Mr. Rose was determined; therefore he resorted to strategy to effect his purpose. At that time he had an uncle leaving for the United States, and him he determined to accompany, therefore, in spite of the existing enactment, he resolved to conceal himself on board of the vessel, when on board ostensibly to bid farewell to his relative, and not to make his appearance until well out to sea and beyond the reach of Government inspectors. This he was successful in accomplishing, and after a voyage of seventeen days, landed in Boston, Massachusetts, in June, 1864. Twelve days thereafter he sailed for California, arriving in San Francisco in August of the same year. First settling in Brooklyn Township, Alameda County, he there worked on a farm for two years, after which he moved to the Moraga Valley. Contra Costa County, and there took contracts to supply the mills with wood. In the fall of 1868 he moved to Haywards Caňon, where he had a number of men employed in cutting wood and teaming, for the above purpose. In 1871 he transferred his residence to Murray Township, purchased from Mrs. La Grange her ranch, consisting of two hundred and fifty-seven acres, and subsequently contracted to furnish the Central Pacific Railroad Company with wood, he having as many as two hundred and fifty men engaged in procuring it. In September, 1874, he espoused Miss Josephine, daughter of Augustin Bernal, who departed this life in October, 1875, leaving an infant daughter, who died in April, 1876. In 1875 Mr. Rose purchased from Guadalupe Bernal a ranch comprising five hundred and thirty-five. acres, situated about one mile cast from Pleasanton, which, in 1881, he subdivided into sixteen tracts for vineyard purposes, many of which have been sold and planted in grapes and other fruits, he still possessing -three hundred and fifty acres of it, one hundred and fifty acres being- under grapes put in by himself in the spring of 1882. In June, 1881, he was united in marriage to Miss Sallie N. Mark, a native of Ohio, and daughter of Dr. I. N. M irk, of Pleasanton, whose portrait and biographical sketch are in this volume. In 1878 our subject purchased the property then called the " Pleasanton Hotel," which in 1880 he rebuilt, changed its name to the ".Rose Hotel," and made it one of the finest hostelries in the State. Mr. Rose also owns seven hundred and fifty acres of the Bolsa Rancho, famous as having the richest and most prolific soil in the county. Thus it is that small beginnings backed by honesty, always develop into great endings. Still young and more than ordinarily energetic, Mr. Rose has a long life of much usefulness before him.
LASERY ROSENBERG.—Was born in Prussia, February, 1846, and is the son of Morris and Lena (Copenhagen) Rosenberg. When but two years of age he was taken by his parents to the United States, and resided in New York until 1856, when they moved to California and located in Oakland. Our subject now attended the Collegiate Institute of the late Rev. H. Durant until the year. 186o, meanwhile residing with his uncle, Samuel Hirshberg, his father being at Iowa Hill, Placer County. In 1870 Mr. Rosenberg moved to San Francisco, attended the High School there until 1863, and then proceeding to Iowa Hill, there embarked in a general mercantile business. Remaining there until his establishment was destroyed by fire on August 31, 187o, he then returned to Oakland, and purchasing the cigar and tobacco store of Wafter-Smith at the corner of Seventh Street and Broadway, has since continued operations in that branch of trade. In January, 1878, he opened his present stand at No. 909 Broadway, Oakland. Married June io, 1879, Miss Sara Wolff of San Francisco, and has two children, viz.: Herbert M. and Gladys.
MORRIS ROSENBERG.—Born in Prussia, May I, 1817. At the age of twelve he was apprenticed to the tailor's trade, and followed it until 1848, when he emigrated to the United States and settled in New York City, where he worked at his calling until 1852, in which year he came to California by way of the Isthmus. After a delay of seven weeks in Panama, and a voyage of four months' duration, he landed in San Francisco and, commenced working at his trade. Two years and a half thereafter our subject moved to Placer County and opened a general mercantile establishment at Iowa Hill, where he remained until the destruction of his premises by file on August 31, 1870. He then settled in Oakland, where he has since resided. Mr. Rosenberg came of a long-lived stock. His maternal grandfather died at the age of one hundred and fourteen years; one of his aunts lived to be one hundred and two years old; an uncle was ninety-seven years and six months when he died, and his mother was called away from earth at the ripe age of ninety-five years and five months. Mr. Rosenberg married in 1841, Miss Lena Copenhagen, and has five surviving children, viz.: Jacob, Lasery, Charles, Theresa, and Tilla.
EDWARD ROSS.—Was born in Rhode Island, near the Connecticut line, June 26, 1822, and there resided until he attained the age of twenty-two years, when he commenced to learn the carpenter and mill-wright's trade, working at it there until starting for California. On May 20, 1852, he sailed from New York in the steamer Prometheus, and arrived in San Francisco June 25, 1852, ex steamer Pacific. He then came to Alameda County, and settling at Mowry's Landing, there resided until January, 1854, when he went to the southern mines for about eighteen months, subsequently returning to this section of the country and purchasing his present farm, comprising thirty-eight acres, situated a mile and a half from Newark. To Mr. Ross i's-due the honor of having built the first schooner in Washington Township, the V. Alviso, in 1868. Is a member of the Pioneer Association of Washington, Eden, and Murray Townships. Married, April 26, 186o, Miss Esthey A. ComstOck, a native of New York State.
JOEL RUSSELL.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, is the son of James and Dolly Russell, and was born July 16, 1822, in Waterford, Oxford County, Maine, where he resided until he attained the age of seventeen years. Mr. Russell then began the battle of life; going to Medford, Massachusetts, he alternated his time between his service as a clerk in the drug store of Luther Anger in that place and the pursuit of his studies at Bethel Academy, in his native county, where he finally graduated with a gilt-edged diploma as a teacher. On October 30, 1849, in company with a few intimate friends, among whom was his especial friend and shipmate, W. H. Stearns, now one of the successful and long-established business men of San Francisco. He sailed in the ship Henry Ware, Captain Noah Nason, from Boston via Cape Horn, arriving in San Francisco March 13, 1850. Soon thereafter he proceeded to Stockton, where for a short time he engaged in contracting and building. There he met Captain Charles Weber, whose acquaintance he favorably made, which resulted in his receiving a deed for one hundred and sixty acres of farm land near Stockton, upon which, during the winter of 1850-51, he built a house and made the necessary preparations to cultivate the land, but owing to a failure of the early rains he abandoned his farming project, sold out and went to the Northern mines, where he spent one year, the history of which would be filled with startling encounters with Indians and other events incident to the life of the early miner; having traversed the mountain ranges from Humboldt Bay to the Columbia River, he returned to San Francisco in February, 1852. Finding himself in that "flat broke" condition then so common among the honest miners, he turned his thoughts toward the generous soil as he looked eastward across the bay, and, he finally embarked on board a small sloop from which he landed the next morning', at What has since been known as Mayhew's Landing, with his last cent having been expended in the payment of his fare. Near Centreville in what is now Alameda County, by dint of perseverance and personal application to hard work, he managed tb procure sufficient means to enable him to rent land and embark in the farming business. In January, 1853, he settled as a squatter on what proved to be a portion of the Soto Rancho. In 1856 the title of this rancho having been confirmed to the claimants, he bought the title of one of the heirs, it being one-seventh of the ranch, which he divided up with his fellow-squatters, reserving sufficient to protect his own possessions, since which time Mr. Russell has been considered among the larger land-owners of Alameda County. During the year 1854, Mr. Russell was elected a Justice of the Peace for Eden Township, and served one term on the bench as an Associate in the Court 'of Sessions with Judge Crane then County Judge. His attention having been' thus called somewhat to the law, he afterward made application, was examined, and admitted to the practice of law in the Courts of Alameda County. Politically, Mr. Russell was an enthusiastic Republican at the formation of the. Republican Party, having cast his first vote for President for the Liberty Party candidate, James G. Birney, and in 1852 at Centreville precinct, adhering to his principles, he nominated his own electors and cast the one vote of his county for John P. Hale of New Hampshire, the free soil candidate for the presidency. He faithfully remained a Republican until the prime object of the party had been accomplished in the overthrow of that national evil, slavery. More recently he has placed his political influence in opposition to what he deems the greater national evil, intemperance and the liquor traffic, and is therefore a pronounced .Prohibitionist. Mr. Russell is a man distinguished for personal qualities of a high order, commanding the highest respect of those who know him best. He married, August. 3, 1856, Miss C. M. Bartlett. Their children are: Maud F., Thomas B., and Frederick James.
CHARLES B. RUTHERFORD.—Was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts, September 24, 1824, but at ten years of age went to Ontario County, New York, where he entered the Canandaigua Academy, joining it at the time that Stephen A. Douglas graduated therefrom. Two years thereafter he took up his residence with an uncle living in the vicinity of Rochester, and with him dwelt until he reached eighteen years of age. In the meantime his father, who was a Revolutionary soldier, served the full seven years and was for some time in the Government Secret Service, carrying communications between all parts of the world, and served through all the administrations from Washington to Jackson. In 1842 our subject proceeded to Boston, where he learned the trade of painter, embarking in the business on his own account after two years. . In 1849 he went to San Antonio, Texas, and there served as Quartermaster's Clerk in the Government, where he remained until July, 1852. He then proceeded through Mexico to Mazatlan, and there taking passage in the Mexican vessel Maria, arrived in San Francisco October 4, 1852. He at once found employment at his trade, working for ten dollars per day wages, for about six weeks, when he removed to Tuolumne County and there engaged in business for himself for nine years. After passing a twelvemonth in San Francisco, and spending a short time in San Luis Obispo County, where he resided during the year of 1863, he came to Alameda County, started in his present business and for the past fourteen years has carried it on at No. 1014 Broadway, Oakland. Mr. Rutherford was the County Public Administrator for the term 1876 to 1881. Married, in Oakland, to Miss Ellen Troyer, a native of Albany, New York, and has six children, viz.: Charles F., Mary (now Mrs. J. Howland), Linda (now Mrs. Samuel Stow), Nellie, Edward, and Anita.
History of Alameda County, California
Oakland: M W Wood, Publisher: 1883
Transcribed by Martha A Crosley Graham – Pages 949-971