Note: Use CTRL-F to Search
TIMOTHY HAYES.—Is a native of County Cork, Ireland, and emigrated to the United States when nineteen years of age. First settling in New York, he there resided ten years, when he removed to Wayne, Pennsylvania, and engaged in farming until starting for California. In January, 1869, he made the journey by railroad to this State, but shortly after returned to the Eastern States for his family, who came back with him in the following year, when he purchased his present farm of four hundred and forty, acres, situated a mile and a half from Livermore, where he engaged in general farming and stock-raising. Is married and has a family of thirteen children, viz.: Margaret, John, Thomas, Frank, Helen, Mamie, James, Agnes, Theresa, Gertrude, Timothy, Joseph, William, and Alice (deceased).
WILLIAM HAYES.--Was born in Stafford County, New Hampshire, August 21, 1815, and is the eldest son of Isaac and Nancy (Palmer) Hayes. Having resided in his native State until he reached his twenty-second year, during which time he attended school, and learned the carpenter's trade, afterwards working at it in Manchester, New Hampshire, Newburyport, and Boston, Massachusetts. For a few years he went southwards, and in the winter of 1841 located in Key West, Florida. In the following summer, however, he returned to Boston, and there. carried on a sash and blind trade until leaving for the Pacific Coast. From that port he sailed, February 12, 1850, to Aspinwall on board of the Cherokee, and on the Pacific side on the old steamer Tennessee, finally arriving in San Francisco, April 15th of the same year. He at once commenced working at his trade, and followed it until the spring of 1851, when he came to the Contra Costa (now Alameda County), and worked for John M. Horner, first in his mill, and afterwards on the steamer Union, plying between Alvarado and San Francisco. In the summer of 1852 he took up his present ranch, and that fall erected a small dwelling-house, and commenced farming in earnest, an occupation he has since continued, his farm consisting of one hundred and sixty acres. Married, July 27, 1845, Adeline, daughter of Aaron and Elizabeth (Horner) Watson, and has no issue.
COMFORT. HEALEY.—Was born in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, June 28, 1838, and at thirteen years old shipped for four years, going to many of the chief foreign ports. At the expiration of that time we find him in Boston, Massachusetts; and subsequently proceeding to New York, thence sailed, April 22, 1856, in company with his sister and brother-in-law, on board the George Law, to Aspinwall. The journey across the Isthmus is one that can never be effaced from his memory; it was that on which the crowded train left the rails, and one hundred and ten souls were hurled, at one fell swoop, into eternity, our subject and his relatives' being among the wounded. This catastrophe necessitated a return to Aspinwall, where he was detained three months with his broken legs and ribs. On having sufficiently recovered, he was taken in a wheelbarrow, and once more shipped on the cars for Panama, whence he sailed on the steamer John L. Stephens, arriving in San Francisco during the latter end of August, 1856. Coming direct to his father's residence, near which has since sprung up the town of Newark, Alameda County, he there resided until the breaking out of the Frazer River excitement, in 1858, when he proceeded thither, and remained a year. In 1859 he went to Monterey County, and for four years was engaged in boating there; after which he returned to Alameda County, and embarked in farming and threshing. In 1877 he purchased his present homestead, adjoining his father's dwelling. Mr. Healey has been a Road Overseer for six years, and is at present a trustee of the Newark School District. Has been twice married. His present wife, whom he espoused August 4, 187o, is Mary G., daughter of Capt. Isaac Thomas Mott, American Consul at Mazatlan, at the opening of the Mexican War, and afterwards agent for the Pacific Mail Steamship Company at Benicia, where Mrs. Healey was born. by this union there are four children, viz.: Ethel G., Lauren E., Stella T., and Nora L.
WILLIAM H. HIGH.—Was born in Wake County, North Carolina, March 1820, and is the son of Alexander M. and Elizabeth (Ray) High. He resided with his parents until he attained the age of nineteen years, when he went to Alabama, and engaged in farming in Perry County. Continuing there until the year 1844, he returned to his native State. On the breaking out of the Mexican War he joined the North Carolina regiment, but soon after entered the pay department, under Major Gastin H. Wilder, as clerk, and continued in that capacity until the close of hostilities, when he. returned to his home in Raleigh, where he arrived July 4, 1848, but remained in the service until he obtained his discharge. Mr. High subsequently engaged in mercantile operations until 1850, in which year he was elected to the distinguished position of Sheriff of Wake County, an office he held up till 1865, a period of nearly sixteen years; after which he betook himself to agriculture, and so continued until 1872. He now started for California, arrived in the harbor of San Francisco, March 27, 1872, and crossing the bay to Alameda County, took up his residence in the city of Oakland, where he has since resided. Since Mr. High has been in the State he has confined himself chiefly to mining operations. Married, March 14, 1849, Miss Amanda M. Royster of Raleigh, North Carolina, and has seven surviving children, viz.: Wm. H., Jr., Elizabeth (now Mrs. W. J. Pettigrew, Jr.), Rebecca (now Mrs. C. E. Carleton), Hattie (now Mrs. V. C.' Ruyster), Alexander Z., Gavin D., and Geddy H.
OTIS HILL.—The subject of this sketch is a native of Niagara County, New York, and born September 21, 1821 ; resided in his birthplace, until his coming to California, where he learned the cooper trade, which he followed until the fall of 1855, when he started, via the Nicaragua route, for California, coming into San Francisco, January 4, 1856. Mr. Hill came direct to Alameda County, locating at Haywards, and first found employment on the place now owned by Henry Marlin for one year. He then purchased a farm in Castro Valley, where he resided until 1859, when he located on his present valuable farm of fifty acres, one and one-half miles north of Haywards, where he has one of the finest fruit farms in Alameda County. Mr. Hill is an intelligent, honorable, and upright gentleman, and highly respected by all who know him; was united in marriage in the State of New York, August, 1848, to Miss Rebecca Richie, a native of the above State, by which union they have one son, Oscar Levy.
DANIEL BILLINGS HINCKLEY.—This gentleman and old pioneer is the son of Seth and Antise R. (Gorham) Hinckley, and was born in Hardwick, Worcester County, Massachusetts, February 15, 1829. Losing his father at the age of twelve years, he went to live with his grandparents for four years, when he proceeded to Bangor, Maine, and learned the trade of iron molder, at which he served until starting for the Pacific Coast. On November 28, 1849, sailing from Cherryfield, Maine, in the bark Belgrade, he rounded Cape Horn, and cast anchor in the bay of San Francisco, May 28, 185o. This was one of the vessels of which there were so large a number, in the days of "forty-nine," that were purchased in the Atlantic cities and brought out by "companies," to be sold on arrival. Upon the landing of our subject in the metropolitan city of the Pacific Coast, he at once, with his brother, secured employment in the Pacific Iron Works, then situated in that part of San Francisco known as the Happy Valley., There he remained until 1852, when he became a partner in the concern, and has since continued in the iron trade. But, in 1854, the Pacific Iron Works were sold to E. B. Goddard, when Mr. Hinckley paid a visit of eighteen months duration to the Eastern States, when he returned to the Bay City. In 1857 he commenced a foundry and machine shop on Davis Street, San Francisco, under the style and firm of Hinckley, Highwenter & Field (the Fulton Foundry), and continued interested in its concerns until the year 1859, when he transferred his labors to the firm of Hinckley, Worth & Field, who established themselves on the site on First Street, San Francisco, now occupied by the flour-mill of H. Davis. Here he continued until 1862, when he purchased his partners' interests and carried on the business by himself until 1865, at which time Charles Marshutz was admitted a partner, with whom he continued in business until 1877, since when the firm has been Hinckley, Spiers & Hayes. This establishment is located on Fremont Street, between Howard and Folsom Streets, and as a criterion of its magnitude we may mention that business is annually done there to the amount of over $1,000,000, while its pay-roll foots up to the large amount of $20,009 per month. In 1868 Mr. Hinckley took up his residence in Fruit Vale, Alameda County. Married, December 4, 1859. Louise, daughter of W. L. Wheeler of Kennebec County, Maine, by whom he has three sons,viz., Harry G., Edward R., and Frederick W.
SAMUEL HIRSHBERG (deceased).—Arrived in the city of Oakland in 1852, when the then town of Oakland contained less than three hundred inhabitants. He commenced his business career in this county by engaging in the dry goods and clothing business. He was actively engaged in this branch of trade for nearly thirty years in our midst, and by fair and honest dealing established for himself an untarnished reputation and a spotless name. In 1862, in conjunction with Hon. Samuel Bell McKee, now on the Supreme Bench of California, he built the two-story brick block on Broadway, between Third and Fourth Streets, thus early in the history of Oakland giving evidence of his enterprise and desire to contribute to the material advancement of Oakland's interests. In 1854, when Empire Fire Company, No. 1, was organized by Col. John Scott, Mr. Hirshberg was among the first to come forward to sign the roll and contribute liberally towards the support and maintenance of the first and primitive fire organization established. In 1866 he gave further evidence of his business enterprise by investing several thousand dollars in the Pacific Soap Works, of which he was the principal shareholder and manager. In 1881, by reason of failing health, he retired from business, and on the 6th day of January, 1883, at the advanced age of sixty-five years he departed this life. Mr. Hirshberg was a man universally respected in the community in which he lived and his funeral was one of the largest that ever took place in Oakland. The immediate cause of death was inflammation of the bladder. Mr. Hirshberg was twice a candidate for public office on the Democratic ticket, and though running largely in advance of his ticket, Oakland being strongly Republican, he was defeated. In 1862 he organized the Hebrew Benevolent Society and was made its first President, He was born in Exin, Prussia, and in his youth was appointed Secretary to the Burgomeister of his native town. He was thoroughly educated in English, German, and Hebrew literature. At a later period he taught German, and Hebrew at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland. He was at the time of his death Grand President of the order of B'nai B'rith of the Pacific Coast. He, was one of the pioneer members of Live Oak Lodge, No. 61, Free and Accepted Masons, and was also a member of Oakland Chapter No. 26, Royal Arch Masons. He left a wife, Mrs. R. Hirshberg, a son D. S. Hirshberg, at present Under Sheriff of Alameda County, and a daughter, Mrs. George Mosbacher. The many virtues and manly traits in the character of Samuel Hirshberg will live long in the memories of the pioneers and residents of Alameda County.
WILLIAM HOLTZ.—Was born in Germany, September, 21, 1829, and there resided until he came to the United States in 1852, when proceeding direct to California he arrived in San Francisco in December of that year. There he was variously employed until 1858, when he opened a grocery store in San Francisco, and remained in that business until 1869, when, selling out, he took up his residence at West End, Alameda, where he built a grocery store and established that trade there, conducting it until 1882, when he sold out to his son. Mr. Holtz is at present engaged in the Real Estate and Insurance business there. He has served for three years as a Justice of the Peace, and three years as a School Director. Married, September 19, 1858. at San Francisco, Miss Auguste Benn, a native of Germany, and has two children, viz.: Fred and Johanna, aged twenty-three and twenty-one, respectively.
JOHN B. HORTENSTINE.—Was born in Washington County, Virginia, May 19, 1852, but when two years of age was moved by his parents to Clay County, Illinois, where he resided until 1870, in which year he proceeded to the Territories, and in April, 1874, arrived in California, locating near Pleasanton. In 1875 he entered the employ of M. B. Lander & Co., and two years thereafter, purchased an interest in the firm, which is now known as Hortenstine, Storer & Co., of Pleasanton, engaged in general merchandising. Married, April 15, 1880, Miss Luella Hay, a native of California, and has one daughter, named Ethel. Both his father's and mother's family are identified with the early history of this country, they having settled in Virginia and Tennessee before the Revolution, in which they took part.
SOCRATES HUFF.—This worthy and well-known pioneer settled in Alameda County in the long ago time when it formed a portion of Contra Costa County. We have much pleasure in presenting to our readers a portrait of this estimable gentleman. Socrates Huff is the son of William and Pleasa (Garver) Huff, and was born in Crawford County, Ohio, July 1, 1827, and two years thereafter was taken by his parents to St. Joseph, Berrien County, Michigan, where he lost his mother in the year 1830. Here under the genial influences of the breezes from Lake Michigan, our subject grew to man's estate, being there grounded in scholastic lore, and acquiring the rudiments necessary for fitting him to face the battle of life. About New Year's Day, 1849, letters were received in the town from California corroborating the exciting intelligence of the discovery of gold in the previous year, therefore, Mr. Huff at once set to work to form a party of his companions and townsmen to proceed to the golden shores of the Pacific in search of the precious metal and to become rich in one gigantic bound. To compass the long and dreary journey across the plains, mules were purchased in Indiana, wagons in Chicago, and provisions in St. Louis, and in February, 1849, the party—composed of Socrates and L. B. Huff, L. C. Wittenmyer (now of Contra Costa County), A. M. Church, James M. Morton (deceased), and A. P. Pinney (deceased)—started up the Missouri River on their way to the "land of promise." At the outset of their travels they commenced to encounter the dangers of the trip. When sixteen miles below Council Bluffs, the steamer "Dacota," whereon our subject voyaged, sank, and all was lost save mules and wagons. . Refitting, however, at this point the route was continuous, by way of the old emigrant route to Salt Lake, and finally entered California by the Truckee route, arriving at Bear River August 12, 1849. Mr. Huff now tried his hand at mining, but at the end of two weeks abandoned the pick and rocker, and moved to Sacramento, where he engaged in business, but only for a short time, when, his health being poor, he sought a more ,..aenial climate. Mr. Huff now proceeded to Mission San Jose, where he remained in the employ of H. C. Smith until March, 1851, when he paid a visit to the Eastern States. Returning to the Pacific shores in the following August, our subject purchased a vessel and put her on the line between Alvarado and Stockton, a trade he conducted until November, 1852. At this period, Mr. Huff once more returned to the Eastern States, and was married on February 14, 1853, to Miss Amelia Cassidy, a native of Pennsylvania, after which he proceeded to Iowa, and on May 1st of the same year, started for California, with a large band of cattle and horses, which he drove -direct to Green Valley, to the farm now occupied by Hon. D. N. Sherburne. Here Mr. Huff resided until 1857, in which year he transferred his residence to Haywards. Eighteen months thereafter he proceeded homewards with his family, but returning in December 1859 he settled in San Leandro, where he has since resided. Mr. Huff has ever been alive to the requirements of citizenship, and when he has felt duty call, he has been foremost to obey. In 1863 he was elected to the high office of Treasurer of Alameda County, a position he held four years, while at the same time he was engaged in mercantile business in Carson City, Nevada, and continued in this business until 1870. Besides being now engaged in real estate transactions he is and has been since the founding of the Union Savings Bank of Oakland one of its directors. He has always taken an active part in politics, and in 1880 was delegate at large to the National Convention, at Chicago, that nominated James A. Garfield. Mr. Huff is a gentleman respected by all classes of the community in which he resides, as his unswerving rectitude of purpose and undeviating honesty make him a man to be trusted and honored. His family consisted of seven daughters, viz.: Ida, Jennie, Katie (deceased), Nellie, Carrie, Mamie, and Laura.
WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON HUSSEY.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this volume, was born in Olive, Noble County, Ohio, August 28, 1840. His father, Asa Hussey, married Mary Cunningham, both of Augusta, Maine, and to them were born seven children, namely: Samuel, Simon, Susan,- Sally, Charles, William (our subject), and David. Sustaining the irreparable loss, of his mother when but thirty"-two years of age, the future life of the family, so carefully fostered by his father, was changed. The children were kept together on a farm, and in the log- cabin which served the purpose of a school, they there received their early scholastic training, and as they grew older started out to do battle with the world. The two sisters married and settled in the county of their birth. In 1854 the father and two youngest boys removed to the State of Iowa, improved a prairie farm in Delaware
JAMES HUTCHISON.—Was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, May 24, 1824, and there served' three years apprenticeship with his father to the trade of nurseryman, residing with him until he attained the age of eighteen years. After passing four years in several nurseries in different parts of the " land of brown heath and shaggy wood," he crossed the border to England, and entered the service of the Earl of Limerick at Dutchen .Park, Hampshire, as head gardener, which' position he occupied eighteen months. He now returned' to Scotland and became foreman of the Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh, and held that appointment six months, when he commenced to entertain the idea of emigrating. In the spring of 1847, he sailed for the United States, and first locating in Westchester County, New York, there followed his calling for three years. Mr. Hutchison now moved to New Jersey, where he took
WILLIAM B. INGERSOLL.—Was born in Boston, Massachusetts, January 31, 1834, and is the son of William and Serena (Sargent) Ingersoll. At the age of ten years he went to live on a farm, and was subsequently variously employed until the year 1851,..when he commenced to acquire and afterwards followed the carpenter's trade until he was twenty-four years old. He then learned to be a photographer in the city of Boston, an occupation he followed until coming to California. Married Mrs. Annie F. Forest, of Lynn, Massachusetts, April 6, 1859. Left Boston for California September 26, 186o. Arrived in San Francisco February 23, 1861. He there followed his calling until 1865, when he crossed the bay and established his business in Oakland November, 1865, on Broadway between Third and Fourth Streets; afterwards moved to Sixth Street, between Broadway and Franklin, thence in November, 1868, to his present location, No. 1069 Broadway. Mr. Ingersoll's family consists of an adopted daughter named Rowena.
HON. DANIEL INMAN.—Was born in East Tennessee, in the year 1827, but when only nine years old was taken by his parents to Illinois, settling near Quincy, Adams County. Here he attended the common schools and learned farming. In 1846 he commenced to acquire the cooper's trade in Quincy, and in 1847 engaged in that trade on his own account, continuing it for two years. In April, 1849, he started for California with ox-teams, by way of the plains, and on arrival mined for a few months, when he opened a boarding-house in Sacramento in a canvas house that cost three thousand dollars, and which was ruined on account of the flood. Returning to the mines to retrieve his fallen fortunes, he there remained until 1853, when he embarked in sheep farming for a year at -Danville, Contra Costa County. Mr. Inman now went to the mines, where he stayed until 1858, when he returned to his farm at Danville, and there resided eight years. Selling now his farm, he purchased his place in Livermore Valley, where he has since resided. In 1863 he contested the office of Sheriff of Contra Costa County with J. J. McEwen; in 1867-68, was elected to the Board of Supervisors of Alameda County; and in 1869, was elected to the Legislature over the Republican candidate. In 1873 he was defeated for the Legislature; in 1877 was again defeated. In 1878 was elected a Delegate to the Constitutional Convention; and in 1880 led the forlorn hope again to defeat for the House of Assembly, being again defeated in 1882. Married November 16, 1863;i-ft Danville, Contra Costa County, Miss Josephine Jones, and has seven children.
HARRY INWALL.—Was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, May 20, 1840, and is the son of John H. and Elizabeth (Koster) Inwall. Having resided in his birthplace until the year 1862, he then enlisted in Company I, Second Ohio Cavalry, from which corps he received his honorable discharge at St. Louis, August 8, 1865. He now proceeded to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he opened a liquor saloon, which he conducted until 1868. At this time he came to California, and settled in Sacramento, where he was employed in the Golden Eagle Hotel until 1874; he subsequently came to Oakland and was with J. J. Hanafin until 1878, when he opened his present place of business known as the Sacramento Exchange. Married in Indianapolis, in 1867, Miss Ann Hanlin, who died in April, 1878. Married, secondly, Miss Mirza Beatty in September, 1882.
HON. JOHN P. IRISH.—Editor of the Oakland. Times—is a native of Iowa City, Iowa, and was born January 1, 1843, son of Captain F. M. Irish, an old sailor who visited San Francisco Bay in 1820, when only the old Mission Dolores marked where the metropolis now stands. J no. P. was a member of the Twelfth, Thirteenth, and Fourteenth General Assemblies of Iowa and also of the extra session which formed and adopted the present code of that State; was a Regent of the State University of Iowa; and was a Trustee of the Soldiers' Orphans' Home of that State. Was candidate for Congress in 1868 and 1872, and for Governor in 1877. Came to California in April, 1882, and removed his family to Oakland in September of that year.
AARON JACOBS.—This well-known and popular merchant tailor of Oakland is a native of Prussia, Germany, born May 3, 1852. At the early age of ten years he began to learn the tailor's trade with his father, where he remained for five years. He then proceeded to Dresden, and entered a cutting academy, from whence he graduated in the art of cutting in one year. In May, 1866, he sailed from Hamburg for America, arriving in San Francisco in June of the same year, where he found employment at his trade until 1870, when he removed to Ukiah, Mendocino County, where he engaged in business for himself for five years. He then came to Oakland and opened a similar establishment on Broadway until 1878, when he sold out stock, and entered the employ of J. Tobin, of San Francisco, until March I, 1882, when he, in partnership with his brother, H. Jacobs, opened their present merchant-tailor store at No. 1062 Broadway, and are recognized as among the leading men in that line of business in the city of Oakland. Mr. Jacobs is married and has two children, viz.: Mollie and Sam.
JOHN WILLIAM JAMISON.--The subject of this sketch, whose portrait will be found in our pages, is the son of John and Vermelia (Edgar) Jamison, and was born in Washington County, Missouri, February 25, 1828. Here he received his early schooling, and resided, engaged in farming, until 1852, in which year . his , parents crossed the plains to California, our subject himself making the journey by way of the Isthmus of Panama. Arriving in San Francisco on the 6th August, Mr. Jamison once proceeded to Placer County, and there embarked in mining, which he followed until October, when he abandoned the search for gold, and, coming to Alameda. County, settled in the beautiful valley at the foot of the Contra Costa Range, and foL lowed farming until 1854. He now returned to mining, the place of his operators being Clear Creek, Shasta County, and there remained ten months. In July 1855 came back to this county and settled permanently on his father's farm, where he resided until the fall of 1859, when he located on his present place, consisting of 01:e hundred and twenty-five acres. Here he has since resided, respected by his fellov,- citizens. Married, October 17, 1861, Miss Helen J. Hamilton, a native of Lawrenceburg, Indiana, by which union he has four surviving children, viz.: William, Homer, Helen L., and Lillian Mabel.
F. C. JARVIS.—Was born in Ellsworth, Hancock County, Maine, September if, 1832, and is the son of Commodore Joseph R. Jarvis, U. S. N. Having resided at birthplace until the year 1846, he was taken by his parents to Portland, New York. In 1850, he commenced a seafaring life and followed it until the spring of 1851, at which date he came to California. His first employment was weighing hay for Ritchie & Stearns in Sacramento, and at the end of a year proceeded to the mines, and was there engaged until 1857, when he went to the Frazer River, being absent about twelve months, when he returned to San Francisco and commenced coasting, which he followed until settling in Alameda County in 1865. Married in 1873, Miss Emma Wiley, and has Olivia, Evelyn Otis, Emma Carr.
WILLIAM H. JESSUP.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this history, was born in Fayette County, Indiana, August 2, 1820, where his parents were engaged in farming. In 1829 he moved with them, and settled near Indianapolis, the newly established capital of the State, where with the combined efforts of the father and an older brother, they opened a small farm in the dense forest of beech, maple, walnut, and oak. Finding the clearing of such land too severe a task, his father sold out and removed to the northerly end of the State in 1833, and settled in the then wild but lovely prairies in La Porte County, where the charming new town of the same name had just been laid out. Here in this lovely place the family - made what they supposed a permanent settlement. Here he was apprenticed in 1834 to Levy Decker to learn the blacksmith's trade, serving an apprenticeship of four years. After mastering all that could be learned in those primitive days in that trade, he quit it for the time being and served one year at wagon-making. Quitting this, he . started to learn the carpenter's trade, the one that he had always had a desire to learn. During this period of six years his father had filled several offices of trust. The name of John Jessup was known all over that section, and honored and respected wherever known—genial, kind-hearted, and true to his friends, ever ready to accommodate and aid them with his name. All old settlers will remember how high speculation ran all through the West from 1835 to 1837, and how the country was flooded with worthless wild-cat money, and how in the latter year the crash came. Being a heavy indorser, he went down with the general crash. Discouraged with the prospect of re-establishing their former standing, the family held a consultation and decided to seek a home farther west. Gathering the remains of the wreck, the father left for Wisconsin, where he finally settled in the then small town of Milwaukee, where he soon after moved the family. The subject of this sketch and his older brother started with a small band of horses for the central portion of Illinois, arriving in Springfield on the day of the inauguration of President Harrison. Shortly after disposing of the horses, the brother joined the family at Milwaukee. But young Wm. H. remained in Springfield, where he completed his trade of carpenter, working on the new capitol and State bank, which were then in course of construction. But here again misfortune attended the efforts of our subject, as the failure of the bank swept away all his savings, but, nothing daunted, he persevered, and obtained a position as deputy postmaster in Rochester, Illinois, through the intercession of the lamented Lincoln, who manifested a deep interest in and friendship for the young stranger. After holding this position about a year, he again took up his trade of carpenter, and to still further advance himself in the useful arts, he served one year at the cabinet trade with John Gibson, in Logan County, Illinois. At the constant solicitation of friends, he joined the family at Milwaukee, in the dead of winter, on horseback, ithe winter of 1843-44, crossing the prairies north of Peoria through a. blinding,, snow-storm, in company with a party in wagons and sleighs, three of whom were frozen to death. But he, being young and vigorous, and being inured to all the hardships of rough frontier life, escaped with slightly frozen feet. Soon after his arrival in Milwaukee he engaged in his business of carpenter and joiner, taking contracts for buildings in that rapidly growing city. The following summer he became acquainted with and married Miss E. M. Goelzer, an estimable lady, of German birth, who has proved a faithful and loving wife and an attentive and affectionate mother. Seven children were the result of this union, two born in Milwaukee, one son and a daughter, the latter dying in infancy. Everything moved on smoothly until the winter of 1848 –49, when the whole country was agitated by the wonderful stories told of the rich gold discoveries in California. The contagion of the gold fever was general. Young Jessup couldn't resist, and straightway made preparations for the newly discovered gold-fields, but found it impossible to get ready for the following spring's emigration, and with many regrets he was forced to bid his friends good-by, after accompanying them several miles on their way, with the promise to meet them in California the next year, a promise which he made good. Selling out the following summer and fall, he was fully prepared for an early start the next spring. Forming a co-partnership with Joseph Pollock and John Davis, the party had a splendid wagon and outfit built, ready for starting. And on the 19th of March, 1850, he bade good-by to his disconsolate little family and sailed to Chicago by steamer, as at that time there were no railroads, with his party, there to take the canalboat for ,the Illinois River; thence by steamer to St. Joseph, where the party bought mules and horses. And on the 4th of May they crossed the river, and struck out over the beautiful level plains of Kansas, that seemed to terminate only at the setting sun, with as fine a four-mule team and as complete an outfit as ever crossed• the plains, and with two good- saddle-horses. Before leaving St. Joseph the party took a passenger who was to assist in camp duty, besides paying two hundred dollars for his passage. They were also joined by the wife of one of the partners, Mrs. Pollock, which gave to the party a home-like, domestic appearance. They resolved on the start to keep themselves aloof from large parties, and take their leisure, that they might get their stock through in good condition, which proved a wise precaution. Mr. Jessup, being an expert with the rifle, as all frontiersmen were in the early settlement of the West, was selected to do the hunting for the party, and was released from all camp duty, except night-watch in the vicinity of roving bands of thieving Indians, and his unerring rifle kept the party and many a hungry emigrant abundantly supplied with fresh meat. The buffalo, deer, antelope, mountain sheep, hare, and sage-hen all had to pay tribute—always hunting on foot, frequently remaining out all night, constructing covers of sage-brush, making his meals of hard bread and dried buffalo-meat, meeting with many adventures and hair-breadth escapes with Indians and wild animals, in one instance only escaping the scalping- knife by a strategy learned among the Indians themselves. The distance traveled on foot by Mr. Jessup while hunting would more than equal the entire distance across the plains. Coming by the way of the South Pass and Sublette's Cut-Off, down the Humboldt, through the Carson Caňon, they arrived on the summit of the Sierra Nevada-3 on the memorable day when California was admitted into the glorious Union. When the summit was reached the entire party took off their hats and gave three heart;- cheers, not that they knew that they were in a newborn State, but that they knew they were in California, and near the end of that long and toilsome journey, filled with so many dangers and privations. They arrived in Hangtown (now Placerville) on the II th of September, 1850, where the party broke up and divided their property and parted good friends, each to pursue his own course, Mr. J. fell in with a party of young men—Frank Lick, afterwards Supervisor of Milwaukee, Wm. Bals, and James Dewey—all of Milwaukee. With those three he formed a company to engage in placer-mining, which they followed with varied success until the following spring, when the. terrible May fire of 1857 startled the whole Pacific Coast, and even the East, and created a great demand for all classes of mechanics. Mr. Jessup left his party on the receipt of the news and started for San Francisco, buying a set of took on the way, arriving in time to see what remained of the great city of adobe houses, board shanties, and canvass tents, enveloped in the smoke of the smoldering ruins. The morning after his arrival he obtained work at twenty-five dollars per day, for a few days, of a Mr. Shaw, a contractor, but those wages could not be expected to last long, so he engaged to the same gentleman for the season for ten dollars per day.
About a month passed, when the June fire came and swept away all that had been accomplished, together with nearly all the stock of goods taken from the store-ships and the greater amount of surplus building materials that remained after the May fire. Mr. Jessup lost all his earnings and tools, and his employer was a heavy loser, and to help him out his men gave him all the aid in their power, but he had finally to suspend; and here Mr. Jessup lost all his wages, only drawing enough to pay expenses, sending but little to his family, and paying fourteen dollars per week for board. The following fall he obtained a job of the late Capt. J. B. R. Cooper to go to Monterey at eight dollars per day, where he worked until the spring of 1852, when he returned to San Francisco and sent for his family, who arrived June 16, 1852, he working on his own account. Many of the buildings erected by him are still standing in San Fran; cisco. After the arrival of his wife and child he engaged with the late B. R. Buckelew to build the now defunct California City in Marin County, returning to San Francisco January 1, 1853, where he worked at his trade until November, when he received an appointment from General Allen to take charge of the Folsom Street plank road, which position he held until it was about to be opened to the public, when he left that place, in the latter part of 1857, and took a contract to put up buildings for the Government at the Presidio. All his. savings were judiciously invested in land, which was steadily increasing in value, until the spring of 1858, when the exciting news of the wonderful discoveries of gold in British Columbia stirred up anew the gold fever, and San Francisco was dead, and Frazer River was the new Dorado. Mr. Jessup, seeing that everything was at a stand-still in California, although not losing confidence in it, thought he could do something in the new field, while things were in this state at home; but his experience was no exception to that of others, resulting in loss of time and money, and suffering untold toil and hardships. He left San Francisco for Victoria in company with his cousin, John Rogers, in June, 1858, arriving in Victoria. July 1st, and remaining in that city till the latter part of that month, he formed a party of fifteen to work together in the wonderful gold-fields of the upper Frazer, taking passage for the party on the steamboat Umatilla, on her first trip up the Frazer and through Lake Harrison—the first steamboat that ever disturbed the waters of that placid lake. He was present at the dedication of the new town of Port Douglas, located at the head of the lake. Here the party expected to have found canoes in which to transport their supplies up the Lilute, or Harrison, River, but the Indians having left for the lakes and taken their canoes with them, Mr. Jessup was forced to procure an Indian guide to go up the river to the Lilute Lakes to obtain canoes, which was finally accomplished with the greatest difficulty, as the Indians were becoming very much dissatisfied at the invasion of so many whites, and nothing but the lack of ,fire-arms and ammunition prevented an outbreak. After obtaining five forty-foot canoes, Mr. Jessup started on the return down that terrible river, with Indian guides in three canoes,, who by a preconcerted plan ran the canoes close to the shore, when each Indian leaped out and took to the woods, and left the party to their own resources, and it was with the greatest difficulty that Mr. Jessup prevented the party from firing upon the fleeing redskins. The intention of the Indians, evidently, was to leave the guidance of the frail craft to inexperienced hands, who knew nothing of the dangers of the river, and so go over the falls and to inevitable destruction, and as it was, the party reached the cascade in one-fourth the time they expected, and nothing but a miracle saved the entire company from instant death, by running close in shore and leaping to the rocks. Three of the canoes were saved by throwing the tow-line to some friendly Indians on the shore; the other two canoes went over the falls and were dashed to pieces. The passage of near sixty miles was made in the incredible space of two hours and twenty minutes. In the ascent of the river the party endured the greatest hardships, wading in the ice-cold water of the river coming down from the snow-capped mountains, chin-deep, towing their heavily laden canoes after them. At the head of the river (Lilute Lakes) the party abandoned the boats, .divided the supplies, which amounted to three hundred pounds to the man.. This had to be packed across a forty mile portage, by each, with what assistance he could• get from an occasional Indian. The mode of doing this was to divide each man's load into three parts, carrying the first forward a quarter or half a mile and ' putting it down, then returning after the second, always leaving one man to guard the pile at each end of the route. Crossing lakes Leaton and Anderson on heavy log rafts, striking the Frazer at the mouth of Bridge River, where arriving, Mr. Jessup learned that the. threatened Indian outbreak, on the lower Frazer had occurred, and all communication cut off, and the most startling reports of Indian massacres were received, and the Bridge River Indians were in a high state of excitement, and only the bold stand of the well-armed and sturdy intruders pl-evented an outbreak. After prospecting the section of the country in strong parties, in the immediate vicinity of the camp, and finding no paying mine, and at the end of nearly a month news was received of the suspension of hostilities, and Mr. Jessup sold out his stock of provisions and tools, and with three of his party started on his return home down the Frazer, on the 29th of September, arriving in San Francisco about the middle of October, after passing through the roughest experience of his rough life, and, a heavy loser. On his return he started to improve his property, to make good his losses, building tenement-houses In 1863 he engaged in the manufacture of matches, starting the Eureka Match Factory. At first he met with poor encouragement from the trade, as the importers of San Francisco were handling the Polac, or Geneva, match, and having a large stock on.hand, would not aid him in introducing a home article, but on. the contrary put every obstacle in the way of success. Mr. Jessup warned them he would yet have the trade, that Polac could no longer monopolize the match trade on this coast, and that he was bound to succeed or lose $20,000, and that he would supply their customers for one year free of charge if they would not aid him in the introduction of his manufacture, and so keep the money in the country. They laughed at him for presuming to buck against the importers of San Francisco, and Polac, a man who employs six thousand hands. He replied that if Mr. Polac employed six- hundred thousand hands, he could no longer sell his matches in this market. Mr. Jessup then took in two partners, Wm. B. Williams and Wm. H. Finch, and putting in new and improved machinery, ran the factory to its full capacity, sent wagons out, scattering their goods broadcast over the country, giving away thousands of gross. This soon began to tell on the trade. and in less than one year there was but little call for the imported match, and inside of three years the importation ceased, and the importers were forced to close out their unsalable stock at ruinous prices. In the mean time the factory prospered under the efficient management of Mr. Jessup until an unfavorable ruling of the Commissioner of Internal 'Revenue, at Washington, forced them to shut 'down the factory. The unfavorable ruling was to allow the importer to sell imported matches in original cases without stamps, to be stamped by the retailer when offered for sale. The effect of this ruling would be to allow great quantities of matches to pass into the hands of large consumers without stamps. Mr. Jessup sent a long communication to the Commissioner, setting forth the working of the order and the hardship it would work on home industry. On the receipt of this communication, the Commissioner telegraphed immediately to have all matches stamped. At this time the Eureka factory was consuming from eight to ten thousand feet of lumber a month, and their stamps were running from five, hundred to a thousand dollars a week. This piece of maneuvering took the last hope from the importer, and Mr. Jessup had the field to himself until the Chinese and unscrupulous white men saw a chance of making money by evading the high stamp duty on matches, procuring children and women to sell their illicit manufactures all over the country, which made the business less profitable. In 1865 Mr. Jessup sold a one-fourth interest in the factory to Elam & Howe, retaining a one-half interest, Mr Finch having withdrawn. In that year the company met with a severe loss, in the burning of their factory, with about fifteen thousand gross of matches, not saving a dollar from the ruin. In the winter of that year also Mr. Jessup met with a heavy loss by being flooded out, and his beautiful house and property on the corner of Twelfth and Folsom Streets almost destroyed by the building of a sewer by the city authorities, for the purpose of draining Hayes Valley. Failing to finish the sewer before the wet season, the heavy rains of the following winter swept down over his property carrying everything movable before it. Mr. Jessup brought suit against the city for damages, which was persistently contested on both sides for thirteen years. Mr. Jessup obtaining a judgment, a new trial was granted, and again he received a judgment, which was finally affirmed by the Supreme Court. After reconstructing his house and greatly improving it, he again met with a heavy loss in 1870, by fire. Just as his house was completed and being furnished, it was burned, with a large amount of property. The loss was about $23,000, partly insured. As his home was destroyed, Mr. Jessup thought it would be a good time for him to visit his friends at the East; so, after an absence of twenty years, with his wife and eldest daughter, he made a visit to them, remaining eight months. Returning on the 5th of August, 1871, he immediately set to work to reconstruct his house, which was finished the following winter. In 1873 he sold out his entire interest in the match factory (which had been conducted by Mr. Williams) to Elam & Howe, as the business had become less profitable. Mr. Jessup then cast about for some more remunerative business. Finding a fine millsite in Lake County, he closed a bargain and bought the Martinez Flouring-mills, of four run of stone, took them down and moved them to the new site, where he erected the finest country mill on the coast, three miles west of Middletown and near Anders Springs, on the Lakeport road. Mr. Jessup took in a partner, one Russell Stevens, a good mechanic, and excellent mill man, who had no money, but a pocketful of recommendations from business men of San Francisco, giving him a one-half interest, to be paid for out of the profits.. He subsequently bought the Cobb Mountain Saw-mills with sixteen hundred acres of timber land, putting this man Stevens in charge (with a one-half interest in both mills) until he himself could settle up his business in the city and take charge in person. But before this could be accomplished, Stevens had, by conspiring with others, involved the whole business to such an extent that it was impossible to extricate it, coming at a period when money could not be obtained on any security, at the time of the suspension of of the Bank of California. Mr. Jessup commenced an action of injunction against Stevens, demanding an accounting, had him arrested for fraud and contempt of court. He got out of jail on false affidavits and jumped on board the Mexican, then lying at the wharf with steam up, and was off to Mexico, with all the funds of the concern. This proved the most unfortunate speculation of Mr. Jessup's life, losing nearly $25,000 by the transaction, involving him in total ruin. In order to pay off the debts incurred he sold every foot of property he owned, amounting to over twenty thousand dollars, which did not yet clear him, leaving him, with but his hands and good health, to start anew with. Undaunted, he was ready to fight over the battle of life, when a still more severe loss befell him, and one that was forever to affect the remainder of his hard and eventful life, in the loss of a beloved and lovely daughter, just budding into womanhood. He no longer desired to make San Francisco his home, and by the assistance of a good friend he was enabled to procure his present home in this county, encumbered with a debt of $16,500, without a dollar to stock the place with, or to support his family until the next year's crop came in. With a brave heart and determined to win or die, he left his old home that he had occupied for twenty-three years (and in which five children had been born and reared), to seek the peace and retirement of the country, and to adopt horticulture as a profession—a business he always had a taste for, and one that he was eminently fitted for by nature. He immediately took a leading part in the horticulture of the State, is an active member of the State Horticultural Society, a member of Eden Grange; he is referred to as authority on horticultural matters. Keeping up an extensive correspondence on horticultural concerns, his correspondence extends from Oregon to Texas. He also has contributed extensively to the press of the coast. He is a regular contributor to the Pacific Rural Press, and an occasional contributor to the Rural' Californian, at Los Angeles, the Oakland Tribune, the San Francisco Bulletin, Haywards Journal, Willamette Farmer, Portland, Oregon; and a good article . of his is published in the State Agricultural Report of 1881. Many of his effusions have been republished by other papers in the State, and to his untiring efforts and faith in the future importance of the fruit industry of the coast, is due in a great measure the impetus given to the horticultural interest of this State during the past four years.
JOHN JOHNSON.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, was born in the city of Hamburg, Germany, March 14, 1818, and when an infant had the misfortune of losing his father, mother, brother, and a sister, in the burning of a distillery which his father owned, Mr. Johnson, then in the cradle, being saved by the courage of his elder sister, with whom he dwelt until he attained the age of thirteen years. At this time he commenced a seafaring life, shipping as cabin-boy on board the brig Louise Field, of Hamburg, and made his first voyage to Hull, England, where he took a cargo of coal for Flensburg. On November 23 1831, he suffered shipwreck in the Skager Rack, the arm of the North sea, between Denmark and Norway, where all on board were lost save our subject and Fred. Olsen, the latter of whom, clinging to the gallant-mast, and the former to the maintop-gallant-mast, were tossed about in the cold and' tempestuous sea for upwards of twelve hours. Being ultimately picked up by a pilot-boat, they were landed at Frederickshaven, whence they' begged their way, through some five feet of snow, sometimes being obliged to sleep in it, and occasionally finding the poor shelter of a barn, to the city of Flensburg, where, Olsen dying from cold and exposure, Johnson was taken charge of by his Consul and sent to Hamburg, where he arrived January 20, 1832. He now engaged in the coast trade until March, 1833, when he shipped on a voyage to Greenland, in the O. Roakcol, when six thousand seals, a whale, and one polar bear were captured, on the latter of which our subject whiled away the time by practicing the taxidermist's art. On getting back to Flensburg, he once more shipped in coasters until the whaling season, when, in March, 1834, he made another voyage to the high latitudes, in his former vessel. In September of this year he made a voyage to Newcastle, England, for coal, and on March 18, 1835, started in the ship Has. Home on a whaling cruise, when they reached as high as seventy-six degrees north. On this voyage they took a shipwrecked crew off the floe, that had been on the ice for eight days. In October, 1835, he made a trip to the island of St. Thomas, West Indies, loaded with sugar, and returned in February, 1836. In the following month he sailed from Eckenfur, on another whaling voyage, when eight thousand seals and two whales were captured, returning August 12th of the same year. On April 2, 1837, he returned to the island of St. Thomas, was attacked with yellow fever, sent to the hospital, and left behind. On recovering, he shipped in the schooner Iovio, November 9, 1837, and, after leaving port, found he was to take part in the slave trade. Proceeding to the west coast of Africa, they there took on board two hundred and forty negroes, with whom they returned to St. Thomas, the trip occupying six months, and being attended with many dangers. In May, 1838, having taken a cargo of sugar on board, Johnson sailed for New York, and thence proceeded to Valparaiso, and afterwards to the Chincha Islands, where, loading guano, they sailed for New York, and arrived April 5, 1839. His next voyage was to Paraguay, three hundred miles up the Rio de la Plata, where, loading a cargo of native wood, they returned to Montevideo. At this time war was raging between Paraguay and the Argentine Republic, and when on a journey some hundred miles up the river with the ship's boats to procure fresh water, they were attacked by two large launches, and a severe fight ensued, Johnson and his party ultimately getting clear without damage. After making some trips to that locality, our subject returned to New York, where he arrived April 12, 1841. In December of that year he shipped in one of the Black Ball line of clippers for Liverpool, and when two days out was struck by a squall that nearly tore the masts out of her; but rigging some gear, however, they returned to New York, where they arrived four days after they had set sail. After repairing, on March 2, 1842, another start was made, and the voyage across the Atlantic successfully accomplished. After another round trip in this line, Johnson proceeded to Boston, and there shipped in the Prince of Wales, in 1843, bound to Calcutta, East Indies, and thence to London, England. He now went to Liverpool, and on September 9, '844, signed articles for another voyage to Calcutta, on board the Bounty Hall, and arrived February 27, 1845. Our subject kept in the East India trade until 1847, when he proceeded to Russia, and lay four months in the ice at Cronstadt, afterwards returning to Boston, where he arrived in March, 1848, subsequently making trips to St. Malo and Boston. In 1849 he sailed in the ship Louise Field for California, and in 1850 first. entered the Golden Gate; and, after working as a stevedore in San Francisco for some time, went across the bay to where the city of Oakland has since sprung up, and there commenced burning charcoal. He thence went to Mount Eden, there took up his residence, and, embarking in salt-making, has since been largely engaged in that occupation. In the winter of 1852 he commenced hunting; and, among exploits too numerous to mention, on one occasion came to close quarters with a grizzly, whiCh, after severely wounding, he finally killed. But it is unnecessary to follow further Mr. Johnson's adventurous life. He has had hairbreadth escapes in every part of the world. When but a youth, we have seen him shipwrecked; in the perilous voyages to the Arctic seas we have followed him; and in the far-away Straits of Malacca he was attacked by Malay pirates. Out of all these "tight places" he has come with credit. He is now quietly ensconced at Mount Eden Grove, where he maintains an unstinted hospitality, living a retired life, and surrounded by the comforts he so well deserves. Married, July 4, 1855, Miss Augusta Lorentz, a native of Hanover, and has two children, viz.: August and Sophia.
ANDREW JONES.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, was born in Seneca County, New York, October 12, 1837, where he resided, save one year, until he came to California in the month of October, 1869, embarked in farming with his brother, and now owns thirty-five acres of land and leases one hundred and eighty acres more; employs about seventy-five men during picking season. He is engaged in the cultivation and manufacture of pickles. Married, April 27, 1858, Miss Jane C. Greene, and has three surviving children, viz.: Nellie (now Mrs. M. J. Fontana), Edna, and Mary.
EDMOND JONES (deceased).—This gentleman, the brother of the above-named Andrew Jones, was a Quaker by birth, and born at Janetta, Pennsylvania, in the year 1820. After carrying on a dairy business near Philadelphia, in 1853 he emigrated to California, and on arrival began a draying business, but soon after engaged in the pickle trade with Baker, in San Francisco. In 1856 he came to Alameda County, embarked in farming operations near San Lorenzo, and there resided until 1864, when he removed to the ranch where his brother now resides. He died December 31, 1878. --
MICHAEL J. KELLER.—Was born in County Cork, Ireland, September 29, 1844, and there resided and served a regular apprenticeship to the dry goods trade. In April, 1868, he sailed for San Francisco, and arrived in the following month; he then 'proceeded to Sacramento, where he found employment in a drygoods store for a short time. He subsequently opened a store in Marysville, and there resided eight years. After spending two years in San Francisco, in March, 1878, he came to Oakland, entered the employ of Miller Brothers, continued with their successors, and in March, 1879, opened his present. shirt manufactory and store at No. 1007 Broadway. Is married and has one child, named George
CHARLES A. KLINKNER.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, is the son of John and Catharine (Hermann) Klinkner and was born in Ausen, Germany, June 25, 1852. When our subject was only two years of age his parents emigrated to the United States, and on arrival proceeded to Iowa and located in the town of Cascade. Here his father followed the shoemaker's trade, while Mr. Klinkner attended school. At the early age of eleven years he entered a mercantile establishment in that place, subsequently removing to Worthington, where he remained three years. For a year previous to his coming to the Pacific Coast he followed farming. August 19, 1872, he started for the Golden State, arriving in San Francisco on the 28th of that month. He first found employment in the auction. house of Van Shaack, on Kearny Street, where he remained eleven months, at the expiration of which time he proceeded to Solano County, followed farming for four months, and subsequently started and continued a huckstering trade throughout the country for two years. In the fall of 1875 he engaged in and laid the foundation of his present prosperous business, in canvassing for Hollister & Co., and at the end of one year opened a factory at No. 103 Montgomery Street,. San Francisco, for the manufacture of rubber stamps. Here he prospered until he found his quarters too limited, when, in 1878, he moved to his present place of business at No. 320 SansOrne :Street, San Francisco, where he is engaged in the manufacture of all kinds of rubber stamps—a business that with small beginnings has grown into one of vast proportions. Married in Vacaville, Solano County, November 23, 1875, Miss Catharine Parke, a native of Alameda County, and has three children, viz.: Charles A., Frederick G., and Herman.
ERNEST F. KOHLER.—Born in Hanover, Germany, January 16, 1842, and there was educated and resided, being with his uncle in a distillery until he attained the age of seventeen years. He then emigrated to the United States, and arrived in New York September 3, 186o, where he resided until coming to California in December, 1861, landing in San Francisco on Christmas Day of that year. At the end of a twelvemonth he embarked in agricultural pursuits on Sherman Island, where he remained until June, 1868, when he returned to New York on a visit. In the month of August of the same year he came back to California, and engaged in wine-making in different localities until 1878, when, in September of that year, he purchased his present ranch of three hundred and twenty acres in Contra Costa County, on which he has a vineyard and orchard sixty acres in extent. Mr. Kohler is engaged in the wine and liquor business at No. 1502 Seventh Street, Oakland. Married, in San Francisco, Miss Matilda F. A.-Klussmann, a native of Mecklenberg-Schwerin, Germany, and has: Frederick, Matilda, and Henry.
LEWIS KNOX.--Was born in Licking County, Ohio, August 20, 1829, and is the son of Titus and Margaret Ann (Sinnolt) Knox. At the age of seven years, his parents moving to Delaware County, in the same State, our subject resided there until April, 1852, when he started for the Pacific Coast and landed in San Francisco on May 13th, He at once proceeded to San Jose and continued farming there until 1857, in which year he returned to Ohio, where, June 23, 1857, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Allen, a native of Franklin County. On the 1st July following, accompanied by his bride, Mr. Knox once more turned towards California, and on arrival settled at Haywards, where he lived until 1861, when he came to his present place, consisting of one hundred acres where he is engaged in general farming and fruit-raising. His family consists of three sons and a daughter, viz.: Owen, Ellie (now Mrs. Lynch), Harry, and George.
WILLIAM KNOX.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, was born in Licking County, Ohio, July 9, 1823, and there resided for the first thirteen years of his life. He then moved to Delaware County, in the same State, where he lived with his father upon a farm up to 1846, afterwards entering into the occupation of driving cattle, an employment he continued until the spring of 185o. On March 1st of that year he removed to New York and with seven companions sailed therefrom on the Empire City for the Isthmus of Panama, thence by sailing-vessel to San Francisco. The latter part of this voyage was attended with difficulties which culminated in the suicide of the master of the ship and her putting back. In Panama our subject worked for two weeks in a restaurant, and finally paying three hundred dollars for a passage-ticket on board of the old steamer Isthmus, arrived in San Francisco, July 12, 1850. Proceeding at once to the mines on the Yuba River, Mr. Knox there worked until the following year, 1851, when he transferred his habitation to San Jose, and in the fall embarked in farming operations, which he successfully continued up till the autumn of 1853, at which time he paid a visit to the scenes of his youth in Ohio. There purchasing a band of sheep he drove them across the plains to Santa Clara County, where he arrived in the month of October, 1854. Mr. Knox now engaged in sheep-farming, making his home in that historic county until the fall of 1856, when he came to Alameda County, located in the vicinity of the place where he now resides and there followed sheep-raising until 1873. In the year 1864 our subject revisited his childhood's home in Ohio and brought back with him to California a band of horses, while once again, in 1869, he turned his steps eastward to revisit the land of his youth he loves so well. Mr. Knox is now the possessor of property aggregating eight hundred and forty acres and acquired as follows:. In the fall of 1864 he purchased a plot of land at San Lorenzo, Eden Township, comprising one hundred and four acres; in 1867, he bought a half-section of land in Murray Township; and again, in 1873, a ranch of three hundred and sixty acres also situated in Murray Township, while the farm on which he now resides he acquired in 1861, and it is at present under general grain and fruit cultivation. Mr. Knox married in Franklin County, Ohio, June 23, 1857, Miss Rhoda L. Greenleaf, a native of Middlebury, Vermont, who died December 16, 1882, by which union there have been born seven children, only three of whom survive, viz.: Milo, William, and John.
JOHN W. KOTTINGER.—The subject of this sketch is the youngest son of Anthony and Rosa (Koenig) Kottinger, and was born in Austria, November 24, 1820. When nine years of age he was sent by his parents to the city of Vienna, the capital of Austria, where he received that education which leaves him a scholar of great erudition. At the age of twenty-two years he entered the family of Prince Charles Lichtenstein as private tutor, where he remained until November, 1845, in which year he went to Switzerland. In 1846 he crossed the Atlantic to New Orleans, and came from there with George D. Prentice to Louisville, Kentucky, with whom he was connected until February, 1847, while that gentleman was editor of the Louisville Journal. Mr. Kottinger subsequently resided in different portions of the United States, and ultimately sailed from New York to Rio de Janeiro, Valparaiso, etc. finally arriving in California, September 16, 1849, on the Hamburg bark Adelgunda. After a sojourn of six days in San Francisco our subject proceeded to the Pueblo de San Jose, where he opened the first school taught there. From January, 1850, he acted as interpreter in the different courts of Santa Clara County, until October, at which time he purchased a band of cattle and drove them to the mines for sale. This done, he returned to San Jose and entered into partnership with District Attorney Sanford, being admitted---to the practice of law in the spring of 1851. In the fall of that year he came to what is now Alameda County and settled at Pleasanton, then commonly known as Alisal from the many sycamore trees in that vicinity. For an account of Mr. Kottinger's doings we refer the reader to the history of Murray Township. In January, 1852, he was joined by his family, and then entered into the business of stock-raisng, which he followed until the year 1857, at which time he removed his residence to San Francisco and embarked in the real estate business. In 1862 he returnd to Alameda County, where he has since Married, April 27, 1850, Senorita Maria R. Bernal, and has a family of nine children surviving, viz.: John, Franklin, Alfred, William, Rosa Eva, Annie, Maggie, and Martha.
JOSEPH LANCASTER.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, was born in Wakefield, Yorkshire, England, November 24, 1842, and there passed the first twelve years of his life, having attended school in that town. After serving an apprenticeship of seven years at his trade in a large establishment at Batley, he then worked as a journeyman tailor until 1863, when he sailed from Liverpool for the United States. Landing in New York, after a short time he proceeded to Newburgh, but a few weeks subsequently, in the month of October of that year, enlisted in Company A, 115th Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, Colonel Simmons, commanding, and at once proceeded to the south, joining his regiment at Beaufort, South Carolina, where it was then stationed—the ii5th was a part of General Seymour's command, which made a campaign in Florida early in 1864—taking part in the engagement at Olustee, Florida, where he was wounded, and still bears the scar. He was then invalided for three months, after which, first having a short furlough, he rejoined his regiment before Petersburgh, Virginia, where it took an active part in the siege, and he made the assault on the rebel lines with his corps, when the mines were exploded under the enemy's works on the 3oth of July, called the Bloody Battle of the Crater. He next proceeded with his battalion to Point of Rocks on the north side of the James River, where, in a charge on the rebel's lines, he had the third finger of his right hand shot away at the middle jelint:, he next proceeded to Fortress Monroe, and a few weeks later was shipped to the North. On recovering from this last wound he returned to Newburgh in the fall of 1864, and two months thereafter paid a visit of a few .weeks duration to Canada, whence he found his way to New Bedford, where shipping on board the Sophia Thornton; whaler, he sailed around Cape Horn, via the Sandwich Islands, to the Arctic Seas. He was there captured by the rebel cruiser Shenandoah, which destroyed every vessel she overhauled. The crews being eventually paroled, they were sent to San Francisco, and 'twas thus that our subject found himself in California. In July, 1865, he arrived in the Bay City, and finding employment at his trade with Francis Dixey, on Washington Street, there remained a year, after which he started in business on his own account on California Street, near Montgomery, and after several moves, finally, in January 188o, took up his present location at No. 531 California Street, San Francisco, where he is engaged in a large and prosperous merchant-tailoring business. In 1871 he purchased land and built his present residence on Encinal Avenue, Alameda, where he enjoys the well-earned comforts of a happy home. Married, January 13, 1869, Miss Eliza Richards, a native of England, and has five children, viz.: Charlotte E., Susan H., Joseph L., Harold L., Bessie M.
A. G. LAWRIE.—Was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1827. He came to San Francisco in the year 186o, establishing himself as. a Searcher of Records in San Francisco and Virginia City, there remained until 1865. In that year he proceeded to Alameda County in the like occupation, where he has since maintained a continuous residence. Mr. Lawrie has had a long experience in his business, and takes rank among the leading searchers of records in the State. His office is situated at the northeast corner of Broadway and Fifth Streets, Oakland.
RICHARD LEHRBASS.—Was born in Prussia, Germany, October 13, 1853, and there resided with his parents until he attained the age of sixteen years. He then commenced learning the brewery business, which occupation he followed until lie emigrated to the United States. Landing in New York on November I, 1872, he at once proceeded to Detroit, Michigan, and there worked at his calling until the spring of 1875, when he moved to Connecticut, then to Ohio, and in the spring of 1876 came to California, arriving in San Francisco in the month of July. Here he was employed in a brewery until the following June, when he moved to Oakland, Alameda County, and found occupation at the same trade. He subsequently engaged in the bottled beer business, and finally purchased the saloon at Market Street station on Seventh Street, Oakland, where he is now engaged in business.
COLUMBUS R. LEWIS.—Was born in Jefferson County, New York, July 17, 1838, and is the son of Grandison and Mary (Choffee) Lewis. At the age of sixteen years he left home, and commenced clerking in Oswego, New York, where he remained until 186o. In that year he emigrated to California, and after passing two years at the mines in Inyo and Tulare Counties came to Oakland, in 1862, and worked at his trade of carpenter. He was the first fireman of the Central Pacific Local Train. The three following years he passed in a mercantile house, and in 1868 commenced a commission business which he still carries on. In March, 188o, he was elected to the Council of the City of Oakland, and still is in the performance of the responsible duties attendant on that office. Married, September 22, 1869, Mrs. Florence Hunger- ford, a native of New York, and has one child, viz.: Arthur, and two step-daughters: Kirkie and Nellie Hungerford. He has identified himself with the growth of the city of Oakland by the erection of a permanent brick building on Washington Street, and may be said to be one of the pioneers of Oakland City.
CAPT. JAMES MORTIMER R. LEWIS (deceased).--Was born in Mount Vernon, Virginia, in 1812, and was a son of Thomas Lewis, an officer of the Revolutionary Army.. When young our subject was placed with his uncle, Wash. Roby, and received his early schooling in Washington City. He.then entered the United States Navy, serving under such gallant heroes as Commodores Perry and Farragut. Having surmounted the intervening grades from Ensign to Captain, in 1837 he was dispatched to the Pacific Coast, and as early as the fall of that year had anchored off Goat Island. Continuing in the Navy until 1842, he then entered the mercantile marine, and was for eight years on the route between New York and Liverpool. In 1849 he made a voyage to California, and returning to New York, sailed thence to Liverpool, as officer of the ship Star of the West. On his return he became a benedict. Until 1853,,he ran on the route between New York and Havre, and in June of that year launched the clipper ship Y oung America, and sailed round the Horn to San Francisco. On arrival he entered the employ of the Pacific Mail Company, and was on the route between San Francisco and Nicaragua. In October 1855 he returned to the Empire City, but subsequently sailed again in the ship Adelaide, Captain Wakeman, for the Bay City, where he joined his wife, who had left New York a few days subsequent to his departure, and coming via Nicaragua, had preceeded his arrival by some time. Captain Lewis now took up his residence in San Francisco, but remained in the employ of the Pacific Mail Company, plying between the Coast ports until 1858, when on account of declining health he made Centreville his home. Taking up his residence there, April 20, 1858, with his wife, a few months later the erection of the hotel now conducted by Mrs. Lewis, was commenced, it received the name of the United States, and there the veteran captain resided up to the time of his death. In 1865 he took up a ranch on the San Joaquin, which his widow now owns, January 15, 1873, the captain was gathered to his fathers, after a long and patient illness. He lies buried at the Mission San Jose, and over his grave has been erected a handsome monument by his sorrowing relict. Married in New York City, October 8, 1850, Miss Bridget J., daughter of Edward and Mary (Forristall) Wall, of Carrick Bay, County Waterford, Ireland, by whom he had two children, now deceased.
WILLIAM M. LISTON.—Was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Jul si, 1813, and at ten years of age was taken by his parents to Wayne County, India where he received his education and resided on a farm for eight years. Proceeding in 1831 to the then territory of Michigan he was for six years engaged in trading with the Indians in Berrien County, and for two years subsequently carried on the trade of butcher there. On December 31, 1838, he left Michigan, and going to South Bend, Indiana, there passed three years as clerk in a lawyer's office, afterwards engaging in the lime trade. In June, 1846, he returned to Michigan, located at St. Joseph, and being in poor health recruited for the next eighteen months, at the end of which time he purchased a saw-mill and conducted it until November 3o, 1850, but his establishment being consumed by fire, after settling his affairs, he found himself with just sufficient money to take him to California—the Land of Gold. On June I, 1851, he started with his wife and child for New York, and there taking passage in the steamer Prometheus, sailed for the Isthmus of Panama. On the Pacific side he made the voyage in the Sea Bird, but being extremely ill he was put ashore at Monterey. After a few weeks in that ancient city he made the journey northwards and arrived at Mission San Jose, July 29, 1851, and was for twenty-seven weeks in the employ of Henry C. Smith. He was afterwards engaged in the building of a warehouse for the same gentleman at Alvarado, after which he moved to San Francisco, and for a few months conducted the old Montgomery House. situated on the thoroughfare of that name between California and Pine Streets. Like everybody else Mr. Liston took a turn at the mines, but one day's work was sufficient to prove to him that it required a maximum of toil to produce a minimum of gold, he therefore returned to Alvarado and worked for wages on a farm until the fall of 1852. He then embarked in a grocery business, in a building now vacant, located on Minden Lane. At the end of eighteen months he went into the stock business which he followed until the fall of 1861, when once more hard fate dealt unkindly with him. Undeterred, however, he once more essayed hotel-keeping, and opened the Brooklyn House on the ground where he is now located, and conducted it four years. Mr. Liston next engaged in staging from Warm Springs to Haywards, San Leandro, and Oakland, remaining thus occupied until 1872, during which he had the contract for carrying the mail from San Leandro to Centreville, which last he held until 1861. In the month of October of that year he opened the Alvarado Tavern, which he at present conducts. Besides being a Justice of the Peace for Washington Township, he is also a member of the local Pioneer Association. Married in Michigan, November 18, 1847, Miss Catherine Kelly, a native of Canada, and has three surviving children, viz.: Maggie (now Mrs. W. F. Ingalls), Mary (now Mrs. D. C. Owens), and Jonathan J.
ROBERT LIVERMORE (deceased).—This old pioneer, after whom is named the fertile Livermore Valley, in which stands the prosperons town also so called, was born in Bethnal Green, London, England, in the year 1799, and there remained until 1823, when he entered the naval service of Great Britain, taking part in several notable sea fights, being for some time on the South American Coast under Lord Cochrane, afterwards Earl of Dundonald, when that famous Admiral was in command of the Peruvian fleets. He subsequently entered the merchant service, and while serving in that branch of the marine service came to Monterey- in the year 1820. He soon after tool: to a shore-going life, and proceeding to the Pueblo de San Jose, there became acquainted with his future partner Noriega. Having worked for some time in the vicinity of the pueblo on the ranch of Juan Alvirez and there acquiring the Spanish language, he soon became a great favorite among the Mexicans, his fair hair and captivating manners making him especially liked among the gentler sex. Not long after he removed to the Rancho Agua Caliente, or Warm Springs, where he stay,-,1 with the family of Higuera, and quickly finding favor in the eyes of one of the daughters of the house, secured her for a companion through life. We next hear of Robert Livermore in what is .now the Sunol Valley where building an adobe residence he located and entered upon the raising of stock and the cereals. He was here joined by his old comrade Noriega, and with him developed the idea of securing a rancho in the neighboring valley, then a wilderness of wild oats and chaparral and the home of large and small game. In 1835 he settled on the Las Pocitas Rancho, in Livermore Valley--the grant being secured in 1835—and subsequently purchasing the interest of Noriega, there resided until the day of his death, which occurred in February, 1858. His estate he left to his wife and eight children. Robert Livermore was essentially a good man and true, and was of that grit of which the proper pioneer is made. His hospitality was unbounded, his open hand and heart knew no stint, he died as he had lived, respected by all who knew him. A volume could be written upon his many virtues, let it be our duty to here, as well as in other portions of this work, perpetuate his name in the annals of Alameda County.
ROBERT LIVERMORE.—This gentleman, whose portrait will be found in our pages, is the eldest son of the above distinguished pioneer and is the worthy son of a worthy father. He was born in Santa Clara County in the year 184o, and there remained until 1847, when he came to his father's Rancho, now Livermore Valley. Here he has resided ever since. Up till 1868 he was engaged in stock-raising, but in that year he embarked in the cultivation of the cereals, an occupation he still continues. His education he received at the colleges of Benicia and Santa Clara. In Robert Livermore we have one of nature's noblemen whose word is his bond, and whose instincts place him beyond a paltry act. He is respected by every one for his own sterling worth as well as for the name he bears, while as a friend, happy is he who can claim that tie of amity. He married; November 25, 1861, Senora Teresa Bernal, and has six children, viz.: Isabella, Victoria, Charles, Katie, Nicholas and Delphina.
MAAS LUDERS.—Was born in Holstein, Germany, January 27, 1837. At the age of fifteen he commenced a seafaring life and after six years of a "life on the ocean wave" with all its concomitant disadvantages he found himself in New York Harbor. On July 26, 1858, he shipped on board the Mary Brigham froth Savannah, Georgia, bound via Cape Horn to San Francisco, California. In the Bay City Mr. Liiders arrived November II, 1858, and now trying a shore-going life he came to Alameda County and first found employment for six months in Washington Township, then with Cornelius Mohr, Eden Township, until September 15, 1861. In this year Mr. Luders rented land near Haywards and resided on it until 1865. In 1863 he rented a portion of the Dougherty Ranch, which he farmed while residing in Haywards. Finally, in the fall of 1865, he came to the place where he now lives, about two and a half miles west of Livermore, where he has been engaged in farming extensively up to the present time. In 1881 he purchased a tract of land of Wm. M. Mendenhall; a portion of the Rancho El Valle de San Jose, also a part of the Santa Rita Ranch, where he intends to make his permanent home in the future. He married November 21, 1872, Maria Hagemann, also a native of Holstein. The family consists of a stepson named August Hagemann. A portrait of Mr. Liiders will be found in this work.
JOHN L. LYON.—Was born in Ogdensburgh, St. Lawrence County, New York, April 7, 1842. Was educated at the High School of chat place and there resided until he attained the age of nineteen years. He then entered the army. On the day after the fall of Fort Sumter he enlisted as a private for six months, afterwards, however, enlisting for two years in Company A, Sixteenth New York Volunteer Infantry, and serving with his corps in all the principal engagements of that sanguinary conflict. He was with the SiXteenth at the first and second battles of Bull's Run, the seven days' fight on the Peninsula, the first fight at Fredericksburg at Antietam, and at the second battle of Fredericksburg, eighteen battles in all, in many of which he carried the national colors, and as a matter of course was always in the thickest of the fray, while his "hair-breadth 'scapes" are to be counted by tens. While at Salem Heights he received three bullet holes through his pants and had his haversack shot off, while two of the stars were carried away by bullets out of the banner he bOre. On September 29, 1862, he was promoted to be a sergeant of his company. On January 1, 1863, he was told off as permanent color-bearer of his regiment, a distinguished.. but __ hazardous position he occupied until the expiration of his time, when he brought home the bullet-riddled flag and presented it to Governor Seymour. On May 22, 1863, receiving his honorable discharge, he returned home to Ogdensburgh, and in that town, Potsdam, and Watertown recruited a full company for the Fourteenth Heavy Artillery, with which he proceeded to Albany, but did not receive his commission as Captain on account of having taken a rather prominent part in the Valandingham Indignation meeting, to which Governor Seymour sent a friendly communication. Thus, not only was he officially shelved, but never received a dollar towards paying his expenses in raising the aforesaid company of artillery. Returning to Ogdensburgh, September 19, 1864, he stayed there only a short time, and soon proceeded to Syracuse in search of employment as a clerk, armed with a laudatory letter from Mr. Preston King, recommending him as "a young gentleman in whose good character, integrity, and good qualities the writer, who had known him from boyhood, had the fullest confidence." This gentleman was a prominent citizen of Ogdensburgh, and had been for sixteen years the Representative from St. Lawrence County. Finding a position in Syracuse he there remained about six months, when he proceeded to St. Joseph, Missouri, and embarked in the lumber trade, organizing during the year he resided there the first fire company in the town, and becoming foreman of the Iroquois Hook and Ladder Company. Mr. Lyon now returned to Brooklyn, New York, and entered the brick and lime business, being associated with the firm of Reeve & Co., fora year, when, upon the dissolution pf the partnership, our subject carried on the same business for a period of seven years. During the panic of 1872, Mr. Lyon was one of its victims, therefore, having lost all, he turned towards California to retrieve his fortunes. Sailing from New York, December I, 1872, he arrived in San Francisco on January 2, 1873, and commenced an auction business under the style and firm of Chamberlain & Lyon, at No. 539 California Street. This partnership was dissolved at the end of a twelvemonth, and the style became,Lyon & Fowler, the two gentlemen being associated until the removal of our subject to Oakland. In August, 1876, he then established the now well-known house of Lyon & Kinsey, at the corner of Washington and Ninth Streets, and at the end of three years leased their present extensive establishment at Nos: 912 and 916 Washington Street, Oakland, where they carry on a general auction business in all its branches. Mr. Lyon holds the several offices of First Vice-President of the Home Protection Association of California; Vice-President of the Home Protection Association of the city of Oakland; and President of the Board of Trustees of the First Baptist Church of Oakland; President of a mutual insurance society, known as the National Temperance Relief Union; Trustee in the Cosmopolitan Mutual Building and Loan Association; Director of Young Men's Christian Association; and ex-President of Oakland Reform Club; and, as a reformer, an incident occurred at the Republican State Convention (of which he was a delegate in the fall of 1882), which is told of him. Some two or three hundred delegates were smoking in the hall, when Mr. Lyon arose and addressing the Chair, said: "Mr. President—If I understand it aright, the Republican Party is a party of reform, and if we expect to accomplish anything in that line we must set the example; and as I look about me to-day I would take this to be a Democratic Convention did I not know to the contrary. Now, Mr. President, tobacco is a poisonous weed. It was the Devil that sowed the seed. It robs the pockets. It spoils the clothes. It makes a chimney of a man's nose. Therefore, Mr. President, I move that smoking be strictly prohibited during the balance of the session of this convention." Which motion was carried unanimously, amid great applause. He is also a member of Lyon Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and a member of the Patriotic Sons of America. Married in Fayetteville, Onondaga County, New York, October 12, 1864, Miss Mary E., only daughter of Julia A., Parker, a native of that State, by which union there are two sons, viz..: William P. and Edward C. A portrait of Mr. Lyon appears in this work.
WILLIAM HAYWARD MACK.—The youngest son of Elisha Mack, Jr., who at the time was engaged in the mercantile business in West Troy, New York. William H. was born August 23, 1812. When about two years old h,is parents moved to Albany, New York, where his mother died March 4, 1819. He was then. sent to Plainfield, Massachusetts, to his mother's parents to be educated. When he was ten years old his father remarried, and the two sons returned to him at Albany. His father at this time was very extensively engaged in the wholesale produce and pork- packing business. William, when about sixteen years old, was offered a fine situation by Wm. Gay, a wholesale and retail drygoods merchant; this offer was made with the understanding that he should be taken as a partner when he became familiar with the business; but the father objected to the business, a great disappointment to the son, who was of a very active business turn of mind. When he was just coming of age, he one day asked his father what time of day he was born; upon receiving the answer, " About two o'clock in the morning," he replied, " Then I will not sleep another night in your house." He soon got a situation on a steamboat plying between Albany and New York. When navigation closed for the season he got a situation in Stamoix Hall, where there was a large dining-room adjoining the ball-room. When there was a ball, he had the entire management of the dining-room, setting and decorating the tables sometimes for three hundred at a sitting. Upon the reopening of navigation, he resumed the steamboat business. He was married October 13, 1836, to Miss Anna Shonts, a farmer's daughter, born near. Saratoga Springs, New York. February II, 1838, he bought out his brother, who was a grocer. This business he conducted until the close of 1848. In 1845 and 1846 he draughted and superintended the erection of a block of buildings for Mrs. Dudley, who donated the Dudley Observatory to the city of Albany. During this time he made a mold for running cornice, of an entirely new plan, by the use of which over two-thirds of the material was saved, as used by the old style of mold. This new mold was in time adopted all over the United States. Had he taken out a patent on it, he would probably have made a large fortune. At the same time that he was engaged in this work, he had three large stores in different parts of the city, employing six clerks during the busy season, yet doing all the buying himself. When he concluded to come to California, he spent an entire year settling his large business. He sailed on the steamer Ohio, February 15, 1850, taking a steerage passage, as he said, to harden him for the expected rough experience of California. The passage was very severe, making the passengers extremely sick. Fortunately he had taken the wise precaution to put his system in good condition before embarking, so that he experienced little suffering. He therefore offered his services to the physician in taking care of the steerage passengers. His offer was gladly accepted, and he did good service, which was so well appreciated that the second day out he got a state-room, and took his meals at the captain's table. Being of a social disposition he soon won the good-will of the cabin passengers, and was treated by the officers as one of their number. At Havana he was invited to go ashore with them. At Chagres they engaged small boats to convey them to Gorgona, and pack-mules from there to Panama. Detained there a month they reached San Francisco April 29, 1850. He had shipped goods on the ship Solon, which ran afoul of a rock in the Magellan Straits, and much of her cargo was thrown overboard, and the remainder taken from the sinking vessel to a French bark and brought to San Francisco. He tried mining for two months, but was not successful. After this he engaged on a steamboat plying between San Francisco and Sacramento. This seemed his favorite and proper business. He received the income of the table and berths, making a profit the first four months of one thousand dollars per month. This run of good-fortune ceasing, he engaged in the same work at a salary. October 10, 1851, he took passage for Albany, to bring his family to California. Six out of seven of his children were dead, the surviving child, a daughter, was brought to California, May 27, 1852. He again followed steamboating for a time, and then bough-hale Rhode Island House, succeeding very well until the Corporation ordered a sewer to be run through the street, requiring the building to be raised fifteen feet, when he sold out January 3, 1857, he started with his family for a ranch near Mowry's Landing, Alameda County. He had bought this ranch of a squatter, but it was inside a large enclosure where wild cattle were pastured, and he soon grew tired of the place. He then opened a store at the Landing, and soon established a fine business. As it was very difficult to get out to the stage road and to church in the rainy season, he built a store and dwelling at Washington Corners, where he now resides (June I, 1883). The second year after the San Jose Branch Railroad was completed, he took the agency at Washington Corners, and also the Wells, Fargo & Co.'s Express, doing the work for two years with entire satisfaction, relinquishing it to enable his only son to become a machinist. March 17, 1873, he was appointed Postmaster, an office he yet holds, administering its duties with the most scrupulous fidelity. Of his thirteen sons and daughters only three survive at this writing, children who are a pleasure to their parents. His kind-hearted wife, a worthy partner, is still apparently in the best of health, her motherly face, a familiar feature in the village post-office. Mr. Mack in person is of medium height, slender, and still active as a boy. Age does not seem to dim his eye or make his step less elastic, and at the age of seventy-one his cheery voice and quick movements are the remark of his friends, and the best of arguments in favor of a busy life with temperate habits. He is a kind father and husband, and his house is a happy home. In all public affairs he is among the readiest to take up his share of the burden. On public holidays he is the first to fling the banner of his country to the breeze. He is a village social and business factor, thoroughly identified with all the local interests.. Just and exact in his dealings; genial and kindly in his feelings; he is a good representative American, one of the thousands of whom our country may be proud, and to whom we may look in confidence that her institutions will be sustained. A portrait of this gentleman will be found in the following pages.
FREDERICK. MALLEY.—Was born in Prussia March 23, 1842, where he resided until the spring of 1866, there learning the boot and shoe maker's trade, and following it in his native land until that time.. He served in the Fifteenth Infantry for three years, and through the campaign of 1864 against Denmark, when he sailed from Bremerhaven for the United States. After passing a few weeks in the city of New York, he proceeded to Philadelphia, but shortly afterwards moved to New Jersey, and located at Egg Harbor City, Atlantic County. At the end of four months he changed his residence to Buffalo, New York, where he stayed twelve months, and then took up his abode in Boston until February, 1868. At that date he sailed for San Francisco via Panama, where he arrived April 1, 1868, and engaged in the shoe making business until the fall of the same year. In the month of October he located in Dublin, Alameda County, and engaged in his proper calling, continuing it until December 27, 1869, when he came to Livermore, and commenced a boot and shoemaking business in Laddsville. After the fire of October, 1871 he removed to Livermore proper, where he continued in the same business. In the fall of 1881 he built the three storied edifice known as Malley's Building, where he now carries on his business, which of late years has been very much enlarged—carrying a large stock' of. fancy goods and doing a prosperous trade. Mr. Malley married, August, 9, 1868, Miss Minnie Strecker, a native of Germany, and has four children: Matilda M., George W., Frederick A., and William. He is one of the oldest and best known business men in this section.
History of Alameda County, California
Oakland: M W Wood, Publisher: 1883
Transcribed by Martha A Crosley Graham – Pages 905-930