Note: Use CTRL-F to Search
MARK AGER.—Was born in Jefferson County, New York, June 7, 1842, and there resided until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he answered his country's call, and enlisted, April 19, 186i, in Company F, Thirty-fifth New York Regiment, from which, after two years' service, he was discharged and re-enlisted in Company F, Twentieth New York Regiment, serving in this corps until the close of the war. In 1865 he came to California, located at Folsom, Sacramento County, and was in charge of the post-office there until 1869, when he moved to Pleasanton, and was the first agent of the Western Pacific Railroad Company there. Resigning this position in 1871, he moved to Sunol and opened the present railroad office there. In the following year he commenced operations in his present store, and in 1874 erected the first warehouse in that place, constructing another like edifice in 1875. Married, September 24, 1866, Miss Sarah E. Sanborn, and has two sons, Archie and Fred.
JAMES M. ALLEN.—Was born in Cole County, Missouri, November 13, 1828, and is the son of David and Elizabeth (Storey) Allen. When but two years of age he was taken by his parents to Cooper County, where they resided five years; after which they transferred their habitation to Jackson County, not far from Independence, where our subject first attended school. His father and mother now moved to the adjoining county and took up their residence on a farm, where they remained until 1846, when the family determining to emigrate, joined the party captained by Hon. Elam Brown of Contra Costa County, and with it came to California. His father was taken sick at Fort Bridger on the route, and was left behind; and his mother died and was buried at the Sink of the Humboldt. Mr. Allen and his party entered California at Johnson's Ranch, October 10, 1846, where they found the proprietor to be a rough sailor, dwelling in a dirty little hut, and surrounded by naked Indians—a fact which caused some confusion among the ladies of the train. Continuing their journey they camped on the spot where Sacramento, the capital of the State, now stands. About a mile and a half up the American River, at New Helvetia, stood the hospitable enclosure of Sutter's Fort, where beef, flour, and other commodities were procured, the fresh meat and bread being highly appreciated, for they had been long desired. Here it had to he decided whither the party should permanently locate, the places receiving the greatest favor being the Santa Clara Valley, Napa, and Sonoma. Mr. Allen with his brothers and sisters elected for Santa Clara, to which place they at once set out in company with Elam Brown and his family. On arrival at the San Joaquin it was found necessary to swim the entire train across its turbulent waters. The journey was now continued to the rancho of Robert Livermore, and here, in. October, 1846, Mr. Allen camped on the site of the prosperous town which bears the patronymic of the English pioneer. Following through the Sunol Valley, and passing the Mission of San Jose, they emerged on to the Santa Clara Valley, went through the Pueblo de San Jose and three miles further came to a halt at the Santa Clara Missions where they located. Mr. Allen now enlisted in the military company raised by .Capt. Charles M. Weber, the services of which are detailed in our chapter on the Military Occupation of the northern portion of Upper California, and with it took part in all the stirring; incidents of that campaign. In the year 1847 he met his father, whom he had not seen since leaving him at Fort Bridger, and subsequently, with his brother-in-law, William M. Mendenhall, took up his residence on a ranch about six miles from Santa Clara, which Mr. Allen, Senior, had purchased. Here our subject resided, until the discovery of gold. As soon as this startling intelligence was announced,. Mr. Allen immediately proceeded to the American. River, and engaged in mining for a month, at the end of which time he returned to the ranch, he there with Mr. Mendenhall made a gold-rocker—the first seen in the State—and returned to the mines. Taking with him pack-mules he commenced selling goods in partnership with Warren Brown throughout the diggings, and remained there until the fall of 1848, when he returned to the farm in Santa Clara Valley. His father, who had remarried in Oregon and made his home there, now sent for our subject and his younger brother and sister to join him. After a rough and tedious voyage of forty-one days, fourteen of which were passed on the bar at the mouth of the Columbia River on account of water being frozen to a depth of eight inches, and the voyage up the river made in a canoe, they arrived in Portland, when they proceeded to Salem. Mr. Allen's stay in Oregon was short. At the end of four months he returned to California and embarked in a mule- freighting business between Sacramento and the mines. During the winter of 184950 he bought cattle and wintered them at Cache Creek. In the year 1849 he and Jones Spect laid out the town of Fremont at the confluence of Feather and Sacramento Rivers. In 1850 he was appointed Sheriff of Yolo County by. Governor Burnett, in which office he served two years. At this period, owing to the depreciation of property in Fremont, he lost a, considerable sum of money, he consequently returned to Santa Clara, while his brother-in-law, William M. Mendenhall, went into the stock business there. In the spring of 1853 these gentlemen moved into Contra Costa County, but in that fall Mr. Allen proceeded to Carson Valley to meet the immigration for the purpose of buying horses, establishing his headquarters on Clear Creek, twelve miles below Mormon Station: but remaining here only a few weeks he went to Rag Town and, there encountered Martin Mendenhall with his father and family. At this time Mr. Allen first met Miss Sidesia Mendenhall, the lady he afterwards made: his wife. With Mr. Mendenhall our subject returned to Contra Costa County and purchased the farm in San Ramon Valley now owned by William W. Cox, where he remained three years, after which he bought a ranch in Tassajara Valley, where he engaged in stock-raising for three years more. He now sold out the majority of his cattle, retaining three hundred head of the best, and entered into a partnership with Elisha Harlan, and thus continued for three years further. Mr. Allen now transferred, his habitation to Alamo, and afterwards to Martinez where he remained until the fall of 1861. At this time he moved to San Francisco with the intention of acquiring real estate there, but engaged in mining in Virginia City, Nevada, and Reese River. During these last years Mr. Allen suffered much from sickness, and was consequently not as successful in accumulating the goods of this world as he otherwise might have been. He now engaged in the livery business, which he continued until 1865, when, disposing of it, he was appointed by Governor Haight Adjutant-General of Militia for the State of California, the functions of which office he discharged for three years. About this time Mr. Allen's sight again to fail him; he therefore repaired to Santa Clara for a three months' rest, after which, he returned to San Francisco, where he was prostrated by asthma. To seek his health he came to Livermore, Alameda County, where he has since resided, engaged in real estate operations. Colonel Allen was present in Mexico during the Maximilian War. Mr. Allen's family consists of one son, viz.: Eugene D., born in San Ramon, Contra Costa County; Debora Belle, now the wife of. Doctor Biddle, Healdsburg.
WASHBURNE R. ANDRUS.—Was born in Farmington, Hartford County, Connecticut, September 23, 1841, where he received his
education and learned the carpenter's trade, at which he has always worked, save during seven years, when he served as policeman at Hartford, of which city he was finally elected Captain of Police.. In this position he made an excellent record. Coming to California in the year 1873, he at first worked in the San Francisco Manufacturing Company's Works, but subsequently took up his residence in Oakland, where he followed his trade. The rise of the Workingmen's Party found him at his bench, prior to which he had been identified with the Republicans, but joining the labor movement he became one of the organizers of the famous Peralta Street Club. Elated by recent successes in electing State Senator Bones 'to the Legislature, they determined to take part in the election for city officials of Oakland, and on February 19, 1878, at the nominating convention held in Germania Hall, Mr. Andrus received the nomination for Mayor, being elected to that high office by-a majority of two hundred and ten votes, his opponent being William B. Hardy of Oakland. In 1879 Mr. Andrus was re-elected to the office by, strange to say, the same plurality, the citizens' nominee on the occasion being Major D. W. Standeford, one of the proprietors of the Oakland Planing Mill. While Mayor Andrus was in office he used his opportunity judiciously, while his two messages are official documents that bear evidence of deep thought and a practical mind; indeed, so much was he thought of that he was appointed Secretary of the State Board of Railroad Corn missioners upon the organization of that department, and, notwithstanding a change in the Government, has been retained to perform the onerous and arduous functions of that position with the second Board.
F. A. ANTHONY.—Was born in Cayuga County, New York, May 14, 1846, and there resided until November, 1854. In this month Mr. Anthony, his parents, Wm. and C. C. Anthony, two sisters and a brother sailed for. California via the Nicaragua route, and arrived in San Francisco in December of the same year. After a short time passed in the Bay City our subject and his parents moved to Santa Cruz and there he was in part educated. After serving. his apprenticeship at the tinsmith's trade with his father, his schooling was continued in the Brayton School, Oakland. On his return to the home of his father, he engaged as hardware clerk to the successor of his father in business, which he followed until coming to Alameda County in December, 1869. He now settled in Livermore and commenced business in the old town of Laddsville, and in 1872 erected his present store buildings and opened the hardware emporium he now conducts. Mr. Anthony was the first Treasurer of the town of Livermore, and was the Town Clerk during the terms 188o-81 and 1881-- 82. He married in Santa Cruz, February 28, 1872, Miss Mary S. Newell, a native of the city of New York, and has no issue.
LOREN B. ANWAY.—Was born in Seneca County, Ohio, January 14, 1829, where he resided until his coming to California, being previously engaged in farming. On May 1, 1852, he left the Mississippi River in company with W. H. Parker, of Marysville, with a party of seventy-four persons in a passenger train and arrived in Yreka, Siskiyou County, August 7th of the same year. Having engaged in mining for six years he returned to Ohio in 1858, but, in 1861, came back to California and settled in Siskiyou County. Having maintained a residence there until March, 1864, he once more paid a visit to the Eastern States. The same year saw him back on the Pacific Coast, however, bringing with him a band of cattle. In 1865 he located in Alameda County on his present farm, comprising one hundred and sixty acres, where he is now engaged principally in fruit-culture and stock-raising. He has tweili;t:- six acres of as fine an orchard, stocked with various kinds of fruits, as is to be seen anywhere. Mr. Anway has held the office of Roadmaster, while he has for nine years been an active and prominent member of the Eden Grange, of which he has served two terms as Master. Married in Ohio, June 23, 1859, Miss Fannie J. Horton, and has, Clayton. L., Dora, Jay B., Mary, Katie.
FRED. D. ARFF.—Was born in Keil, Holstein, Germany, on the 5th of February, 1822; and resided there with hid parents until sixteen years of age, when he had a great desire for the sea. He led a seafaring life for sixteen years, sailing on various freight _1 passengers vessels, and entered mostly all the principal ports on the continent. In 1852, on the 11th of May, he arrived at San Francisco. on the clipper ship John Stewart, and landed at long wharf on Commercial Street. At the time he landed he was penniless, but was fortunate enough to get free board and lodging for a couple of days. Soon after his arrival he went into the mining occupation. The first mine he entered was at Woods Creek, between Jamestown and Sonora, where he discovered from eight to ten dollars' worth of gold daily. He remained there six months, when he went back to San Francisco, where he again took up his old occupation for six months on a sailing ship; carrying lumber from Oregon to San Francisco. After leaving the latter ship he met an old mate of the John Stewart, by the name of James Wood, who got him a situation in a store at the corner of Union and Battery Streets. At the end of twenty-three months he embarked in a draying business until 1856, when he came to his present place, comprising two hundred and eighty acres of land at Mount Eden. On the 18th August, 1857, he married a Miss Louise D. Liese, of Hesse-Cassel, Germany. Five children were the result of this union, of which two sons and two daughters survive.
CAPT. GEORGE ATKINSON.—Was born at Mountville, Waldo County, Maine, September 26, 1836, being left an orphan at eleven years of age. On March 4, 1852, being then but sixteen years old, he went to Syracuse, New York, and there found employment in a drygoods store, where he continued five years, on the expiration of which time he moved to Lyons., Ionia County, Michigan, where he was engaged in a like business for two years. He then proceeded to Fulton, Whitesides County, Illinois, and after a year to Lake City, Wabasha County, Minnesota; he there engaged in the commission business and resided until his coming to California. When the Civil War broke out, Captain Atkinson on April 26, 1861, enlisted in Company I of the First Minnesota Regiment of Infantry, and leaving Red Wing on the 27th of May proceeded to Washington, where they were assigned to Franklin's brigade, and took part in the first battle of Bull's Run. Subsequently he was attached to Sedgwick's division of Simm's corps of the army of the Potomac, and was present in all the engagements until August 8, 1862, when he mustered out for promotion at Harris Landing, Virginia. He now returned home, and on August 26th of the same year took command of Company G, Eighth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and with it proceeded to Fort Abercrombie, Dakota, where he was quartered for eighteen months under General Sibley in the first instance and afterwards under General Sully, their duty being the subjection of refractory Indians. In the summer of 1864 Captain Atkinson was detailed with two hundred men to proceed to the relief of certain emigrants who were held in check by Indians about two hundred miles west from Fort Rice, which duty being successfully carried out, they marched back to Sioux City, Iowa, thence to Dubuque, and then followed his regiment, which he joined at Murfreesborough, Tennessee, and was appointed Brigade Inspector of the Third Brigade, First Division of the Twenty-third Army Corps, with which he remained until the close of the war, having been engaged in the great fights at Nashville, Franklin, and Murfreesborough. After the battle at Nashville the corps to which Captain Atkinson was attached followed Hood to the Tennessee River, where the Captain sustained the well-earned reputation of Minnesota troops for bravery on the field of battle, whence they were transported to Washington, where they arrived in February, 1865. Here they embarked in transports for Fort Fisher and thence to Newburn, North Carolina, then following up the railroad to Kingston, and onward to Goldsboro' there joining Sherman's army, with which they proceeded to Raleigh, North Carolina, and finally halted until August, 1865, at Charlotte, in that State. On the 26th of the same month. his regiment was mustered out of the service and returned home, he never having received a scratch, although being in the thickest of the fray in many a hot engagement. Upon his return to Minnesota, as we have already said, Captain Atkinson engaged in the commission business in Lake City, where he resided until 1872, when he embarked in a grocery store in St. Paul, Minnesota, and there remained until November 1874, when, f' with his wife and family, he came to California and made his home in San Francisco.
His first employment there was for one year in the Assessor's office, after which he entered upon his present position in the General Freight office of the Central Pacific Railroad Company. In 1876 he transferred his residence to East Oakland, and for the last four years has been secretary of the Cosmopolitan Mutual Building and Loan Association. Married in Lake City, June 7, 1866, Miss Maria Kellogg, a native of Pennsylvania, and has five children, viz.: Frank, Sue, Blanche, Nellie, Hardy.
NATHANIEL L. BABB.—Was born in Saccarappa, Cumberland County, Maine, January 14,1837, where he received his education and resided with his father, who owned and carried on an iron and brass foundry. Was a molder and foundryman until starting for the Pacific Coast. On June 16,1852, being then fifteen years of age, our subject sailed for California by way of the Isthmus of Panama, and arrived in San Francisco per steamer Daniel Webster, on the 9th August of the same year, coming direct to J. B. Sweetser's farm, at what is now Centreville, Alameda County, where he continued until the fall of 1857, when he revisited his home in Maine. During his absence his parents had removed to Portland, where he spent the winter of 1857-58. In the following spring he returned to California and located on his present place, having previously purchased a hundred acres of land situated three miles west from Washington Corners, has there made many extensive improvements and resided ever since, with the exception of a trip, starting in April, 1863, and returning in October, the same year, to Washington Territory by. the way of Carson, Humboldt, Snake, Burnt, and Powder Rivers, back across the Blue and Cascade Mountains to Eugene City, Oregon, thence back by stage road through California home. He went on horseback, as a great part of the way there was not even a trail. He also made a visit to Arizona by Tulare Lake, Fort Tejon, Mohave River to Fort Mohave thence returning by San Bernardino, Los Angeles, and then the coast road home. Went with light spring wagon. His companions returned from Los Angeles by steamer, but he returned on horseback with as many of their animals as were able to stand the trip. They started in the fall of 1863, returning in January, 1864. Mr. Babb occupies himself with general farming and running a threshing machine in the proper season. Beyond being one of the organizers of the Washington Township Pioneer Association and one of its charter members, Mr. Babb has held no office. Our subject also owns one hundred and sixty acres of land on the Patterson Pass road seven miles from Livermore, which he leases.
J. EDWARD BAKER.--Was born in Wyoming County, New York, June 24, 1849, and is the son of James and Nancy (Guffin) Baker. Receiving his education at the University of Rochester, he subsequently became a telegraph operator in the city of Buffalo, an occupation he continued until coming to California in the year 1871. After being engaged for a, short time in the telegraph service in San Francisco, he transferred the field of his operations to Santa Clara County, and accepted a position in the San Jose Savings Bank, where he remained until 1878, when he was dispatched by Mr. Hinds to assist in the organizatiOn of the First National Bank at Alameda, in which he has since held the position of Cashier. He married April 17, 1876, Miss Carrie Packard, a native of Boston, Massachusetts, and has two children, viz., Alice and Carleton.
HUGH BANKHEAD.—Was born in Cumberland, Alleghany County, Maryland, April 22, 1846, and there resided until two years of age, when he was brought to Missouri, then to California, by his parents, arriving here at seven years of age. First settling in Plumas County, they abode ther•four years, when they moved to Honey Lake Valley, Lassen County, where they dwelt for a further' period of six years. Here our subject worked on his father's farm until 1863, when he transferred his residence to Oakland, and attended the College of California for three years. In 1866 he engaged in the auction and furniture business, which he still continues in Oakland, at Nos. 911 and 913 Washington Street. Married in 1872 Miss Eva J. Weider, and has two sons, viz.: Malcolm Houston and David Boyd.
ANTONIO BARDELLINI.—Was born in Lerci, Italy, and there spent his early life, having, when quite young, adopted the sea as a calling, and as such visited most parts of the known world. The year 1850 found him in California, and in San Francisco engaged in the fishing business for several years. After passing a good many more years in the mines, he went to Mexico, and embarked in the dry- goods business, and on his return once more tempted fortune in the gold-yielding caňons of the Sierras. He once more, after this period, commenced fishing for the San Jose market, and in 1858 opened a general merchandise store at Mission San Jose, where he resided six years, when he came to Alisal, now Pleasanton, and opened the first hotel in that place, it being a portion of the present Rose Hotel, and then known as the Pleasanton Hotel. In the year 1867 he came to Laddsville, built a hotel there and conducted it for 'four years, when he purchased the ranch now occupied by Mr. Robinson, and set out the first vineyard in that locality. On the destruction of the hotel by fire in 1872, he continued farming until. 1874, when he disposed of his farm and moved on to his present property, which had been purchased-by him some time previously, consisting of half a block on the corner of First atid 'I, Streets, in the town of Livermore, to which many extensive improvements have since been made, all of which have developed into the Washington Hotel, one of the leading hostelries in the prosperous town of Livermore. Married in San Francisco October 20, 1862, Maria Lornetti, a native of Italy, and has four children, viz.: Joseph B., Corinne J., Furrello J., Emil A.
HENRY S. BARLOW (deceased).—Was born in East Dougall County, Pennsylvania, July 19, 1820. Having served his apprenticeship to the miller's trade, in the year 1847 he proceeded to Iowa, and there followed his calling until starting for California in 1852. On arrival he at once proceeded to the mining districts, and after remaining there until 1854, in that year came to the Encinal of Alameda and embarked in agricultural pursuits. He subsequently tried his hand at teaming for a short time. Mr. Barlow had held the office of Constable for Alameda, as well as the position of School Trustee, and in 1863 commenced the erection of the Loyal Oak Hotel, where he died January 29, 1878. Married February 9, 1848, Miss Susan Keiser, a native of Bloomfield, Perry County, Pennsylvania, by which union there are four surviving children, .viz.: Elizabeth C., Albert, David K., Mary J.
W. P. BARTLETT.—The subject of this sketch, for six years a resident of Livermore, was born in New. Portland, Maine, in 1855, and is consequently twenty-seven years of age. He completed his schooling at fifteen, learned the printing business, and worked for several years as a journeyman in Boston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco, before becoming of age. In January, 1877, he resigned a lucrative situation in the last city, to engage in the newspaper business in this county, starting, with a very limited capital, the Livermore Herald, now a well-established and influential journal. Two years ago he added the real estate business to • his newspaper work, in which his success has been without precedent in that section of the county. By this means, and through the columns of his paper, he has succeeded in bringing many new settlers to Livermore Valley. He was one of the first to make known abroad its resources, having written and published in 1878, a pamphlet of forty pages descriptive of its advantages, which obtained a large and wide circulation. He is an active member of the Pacific Coast Press Association, and aside from his regular literary work and business, an occasional contributor to the San Francisco press. Series of articles from his pen, on the scenery of the high sierras, published in the Chronicle in June last, have been copied by numerous of the larger Eastern journals and in Europe, besides being quoted as authority by Omman's new guide-book to this State. He possesses a decided fondness for mountain scenery, and makes frequent trips through the Coast Range and Sierras, each of which adds to a fund of information, for use in subsequent literary work. He is, moreover, an active, energetic business man, and an earnest worker for the best interests of every section of Livermore Valley.
RICHARD BARRON.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait will be found in this work, is the son of Edmund and Ellen (Helin) Barron, and was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, June 22, 1824. He accompanied his parents in 1834 on their emigrating to the United States, and with them settled in Cleveland, Ohio, where our subject resided until coming to the Pacific Coast in search of health. Starting from St. Joseph, Missouri, on May i, 1850, with wagon and horses, he made Hangtown,. now called Placerville, in ninety days, where, selling his animals, he purchased a mining outfit and tried his luck in Hangtown Caňon. Two or three days of gold-seeking were enough for him. He at once proceeded to San Francisco and commenced draying, which following, at the end of five years he abandoned and betook himself to Alameda County in 1855, where he located and began farming on his present estate, comprising seventy-five acres of arable land and fifteen hundred of marsh-land. Is also in the business of shipping of freight ,and storage of grain and hay, and manufacturing of salt, etc. Married August 5, 1852, Miss Mary Foley, a native of Ireland, and has five surviving children, viz.: Ellen, now Mrs. J. Scribner; Katie, now Mrs. T. Stratton; Emma, now Mrs. H. C. Martin; Richard, and James.
WILLIAM BARRY.--Was born in Rochfort Bridge, Westmeath, Ireland, October 2, 1831, and there resided until fourteen years of age. Afterwards he served two years in the office of a solicitor in Dublin, but getting tired of the musty tomes and crisp parchments of this "limb of the law," he shipped on board the Forest Monarch, bound on a voyage from Liverpool to New York, subsequently proceeding to St. John's, New Brunswick, whence he sailed for Greenock, Scotland; but on the passage suffered shipwreck on the Arran Isles, on the northivest coast of Ireland. The crew landed on the island of Inniskerragh, and stayed by the hulk for nearly a month. They soon separating, our subject found his way home after a weary walk of a hundred and eighty miles, and an absence of six months. Mr. Barry followed "a life on the ocean wave" for several years, during his cruises visiting nearly all parts of the world. In the year 1851 we find him in Australia, reaching Port Phillip in the first year after the gold discovery there, whence he sailed for South America, etc. On May 1, 1852, our subject arrived in the harbor of San Francisco with a cargo of coal from Valparaiso, but soon after left his ship and found employment with -the Pacific Mail Steamship Company for one month. Mr. Barry next was for a short time engaged in Contra Costa County, working for William Castro. 'He then. went to San Francisco; and finally came to Alafneda County July 1, 1852, and obtained work from E. L. Beard and Millard Brothers, until 1854. In the summer of. 1855 he started in the manufacture of grain-sacks in Centreville, in partnership with Richard Wilson, and in the fall of that year purchased the lot whereon now stands the store of Saltz & Co., on which a building was erected, and our subject opened a store of general merchandise. This business he conducted until 1857, when he sold out and embarked in sheep-raising, an occupation he abandoned in the fall of 1861, when, meeting with some serious reverses, he left the county for the first time since his arrival in it. Proceeding to Monterey County, he there became superintendent of the extensive ranch of Colonel Hollister, where he remained until the summer of 1863, at which time he Went into the employ of Searle & Wynn, when he was prostrated from sickness. On his recovery, Mr. Barry returned to San Francisco, and in April, 1864, took charge of the ranch of J. B. Wynn, near Hollister, in whose employ he continued till the fall of 1866. He now engaged in the book business until 1869, in which year he returned to Alameda County, purchased his present place of fifteen acres, situated a mile and a half east of Centreville, and where he cultivates fruits and herbs.
JOHN BARTON.—This gentleman, whose portrait appears in this work, is the son of Elijah and Hannah (Ward) Barton, and was born in.Leicester, Worcester County, Massachusetts, September 13, 1813. In 1818 he removed, with his parents, to Kent, Litchfield County, Connecticut. Having received his education in the common schools of that place, at the .age of nineteen years he obtained a clerkship in a mercantile establishment there, and remained until the year 1838. Being then twenty- five years of age, he removed to Buffalo, New York, and in 1839 embarked in business, which he continued six years. For the succeeding two years he resided in Cincinnatus, Cortland County, New York, following the like avocation, and then emigrating to Richmond County, Ohio, there connected himself with the firm of P. B. Cornwall, and remained until he determined to try his fortune in the Land of Gold. On March 15, 1850, taking passage per steamer Cherokee, Mr. Barton sailed for Chagres, thence proceeding to Panama, he there boarded the Panama, and anchored in San Francisco Harbor April 21, 1850. Like nearly all pioneers of that date, our subject went to the gold-bearing regions. For the first two months he wielded the pick and rocker at Georgetown, El .Dorado County; but this he soon abandoned, and returning to Sacramento in the month of October, embarked in the auction and commission business, on First Street, between J and K Streets, under the style and firm of Barton & Boolden, subsequently known as Barton & Grimm. In the year 1855 our subject entered into the salt trade under, the firm name of Barton Brothers, and _:in 1858 commenced the importation of that commodity from Carmin Island, opposite the town of Loreto, in the Gulf of California. On March 25, 1868, the Union Pacific Salt Company was organized, and the most extensive salt-making concern on the Pacific Coast established. After incorporation, the company purchased Rock Island, containing about one thousand acres and situated in Washington Township, at the debouchure of Alameda and Eden Creeks. In i87o work was commenced, and in 1873 it was so increased that employment was given to a large number of men. A history of this industry will be found on page eight hundred and twenty-four of this work. On the organization of the Union Pacific Salt Company, Mr. Barton was chosen to fill the position of its President, an office he has since occupied. But this has not been the only enterprise on the coast with which our subject has been associated. He was one of the original promoters of the Sutter-street Railroad, San Francisco; in 1863 he became a director and a member of the Finance Committee of the Fireman's Fund Insurance Company, positions he now holds in that institution. In 1872 he located in Alameda, and in 1879 erected his present fine mansion in that town. In Mr. Barton we have another of those living examples of what a life of earnest industry can attain.. His resolve "to be up and doing" has brought wealth and its adjuncts of comfort and freedom from care. "The whips and scorns of time" have passed him by, and at the "grand climacteric" we find him leading a peaceful and contented life, surrounded by the much-to-be-desired solace of a comfortable home and a happy family. Married October 14, 1858, in Buffalo, Miss Isabella Barton, a native of that city, by whom he has: William Ferris and Grace Thompson.
ELIAS LYMAN BEARD (deceased).—The subject of this sketch was born in Lyons, Wayne County, New York, October is, 1816, but when quite young was taken by his parents to Jackson County, Michigan, and in the following year to Peru, Miami County, Indiana, where he assisted his father who was a contractor, and later took contracts for himself, among the enterprises he was engaged upon being the construction of the Wabash and Erie Canal. In 1836 he settled in La Fayette, Tippecanoe County, in the same State, where he was engaged in grain and saw milling, being shipper of the first load of grain on the above-mentioned aqueduct. Later he engaged in the pork-packing trade, and owned a stone quarry in that place, while to him is the honor of having shipped the first load of corn from the State of Indiana to the New York market. In 1844 he contracted to build for the Government, and saw to their completion the splendid docks of the Navy Yard at Memphis, Tennessee; after which he returned to his home in La Fayette, and conducted his milling, -quarrying, and mercantile pursuits, until he made up his mind to tempt fortune on the Pacific Coast. Leaving Indiana in February, 1849, he proceeded to New Orleans, '.and there took ship for Matamoras, whence he made the journey across Mexico to Mazatlan, at which place he secured a passage on board the Government boat Edith, among the passengers being Mr. Sam. Martin of Oakland, and arrived in San Francisco in May, 1849. After passing a month traveling through portions of California he finally settled at Mission San Jose in June of that year, and became largely interested with John M. Horner in land there. It was a bold venture at the time—this purchase of some thirty thousand acres—the Pico interest in the Mission Grant. The title to the land was so uncertain that it was a great risk to lay out-- money on it. Fences had to be made of wire, and the miles and miles required of it cost a great deal of money. Farming implements, too, were expensive, and the price of labor was very high. Of course the interest on money was high also, and the result of the farming experiment was considered at that time very uncertain. All flour, as well as other supplies, were being imported from the East, and there were as yet no mills to grind the wheat in California, if it could be grown. But Mr. Beard was a man for large enterprises, and of indomitable courage, and in spite of all obstacles and risks he entered upon the business of grain and fruit raising on what then seemed to be a magnificent scale, and the result fully justified the soundness of his judgment, and demonstrated the agricultural capabilities of the country. In 1852 he had six hundred and forty acres of grain that yielded, on the average, fifty- six bushels to the acre. His yield of potatoes was sixty thousand bushels, averaging, for the most part, three hundred and thirty bushels to the acre. According to the Rev. Dr. Willey,' in the Pacific of May 19, 1880, the size of these potatoes was something marvelous. It was common to find some of three pounds weight, and frequently those weighing from three to five pounds. He says: "I remember during one day at Mr. Beard's, when there were nine of us grown persons at the table, and a single potato, weighing four pounds, served us all, and there was plenty left for three persons who came afterward, and both the quality and the flavor were unexceptionable." The Mission orchard enclosure then comprised fifteen acres. Besides vines, fig-trees, olives, peach, and quince trees, there were in this orchard three hundred and fifty full-grown pear-trees. The yield of one of the largest. of these trees was fifteen hundred pounds of fruit, the gross income from which was $400. The gross receipts from the vineyard in the year 1851 were $16,000. Having been joined by his wife, a son, and step-son, Mr. Beard took up his residence on land purchased from Thomas 0. Larkin, and from the produce of the old orchard acquired a handsome competency. But such were his sanguine hopes of the future of California that he invested all his means in partial payments upon ranches, and the depression in values which soon followed swept away all his accumulations, and left him a poor man. In the year 1858 he took .charge of the Mariposa estate in connection with General Fremont, but this 'undertaking proving a failure, he then contracted to purchase. a mile square of land, embracing the now town of .Salinas, expended largely in fencing, and put in a crop of wheat, but the season proved unfruitful, and he lost his investment. At the beginning of the Civil War he joined General Fremont at St. Louis, and distinguished himself for his energy and force of character by the rapidity and zeal with which he executed contracts for fortifying the city—contracts which amazed people by the brief time allowed to fulfill their requirements. In 186i, himself and his step-son, Henry G. Ellsworth, procured a perfected title, by patent from the United States, to nearly four thousand acres of land on the ex-Mission of San Jose, and were again the possessors of a competency. But not content with this, his sanguine disposition led him into sundry enterprises, embracing an attempt to develop an oil-well at Matole, Humboldt County, and to open mines in various parts of the country. After speculations, all of which proved unsuccessful, he made an attempt to recuperate these losses by dealing in mining stocks, which finally swept away his entire fortune, and he died, May 8, 188o, so far as worldly goods are concerned, a poor man, leaving a widow, who is beloved by all who know her— a woman endowed with the finest social and tenderest womanly qualities of character; and a son, a sketch of whose life, is given below. Mr. Beard was the first President of the California State Agricultural Society, organized in 1854, and the first fair under his administration, in what was then known as the Music Hall, &)11 Francisco, proved most satisfactory and prosperous.
JOHN L. BEARD.—The son of the above, E. L. Beard, was born in La Fayette, Tippecanoe County, Indiana, June 18, 1845, and there resided until his coming to California with his mother in 185o. He lived with his father at the Mission San Jose until the year 1867, when he took up his abode on his present place, about two miles and a half from Centreville, where he is engaged in farming and fruit- raising. Married, and has two children, namely, Jessie and Eldridge L.
HON. JAMES BEAZELL.—This well-known gentleman of Alameda County is a native of Pennsylvania. Born in Westmoreland County, October 30, 183o, where he resided until he attained the age of twenty-one years. He then came, via the Mississippi River, Gulf of Mexico, across Texas and Mexico, to California, arriving in San Francisco July 19, 1852; coming immediately to Mission San Jose, where he :found employment for a short time at his trade of blacksmithing, and then went to Alvarado; and finally, in. 1853, located in Centreville, where he carried on business until- 1862, when he moved to Washington Corners, and in August, 1868, transferred his business to the thriving town of Livermore; and in 1878, in connection with his brother, erected their present shop on Lizzie Street, where they transact a general blacksmithing business, under the firm name of Beazell Brothers. In the fall of .1875 Mr. Beazell was called from his anvil by the voters of Alameda County to represent them in the State Senate, a position he was re-elected to in 1876, filling all the functions of that high office to the satisfaction of his constituents and honor to himself. In January, 1871, our subject was united in marriage, in San Francisco, to Miss C. W. Veirs, a native of Ohio, by which union they have two children, Ella B. and Jessie M.
BENAJAH BENEDICT.—This much respected pioneer of Alameda County, whose portrait will be found in this volume, was born in Addison County, Vermont, December I, 1825, and is the son of Jonas A. and Soloma (Towner) Benedict. His parents moving to Crown Point, Essex County, New York, when he was six years of age, there he received his education, grew to manhood, and resided on his father's farm, until determining to tempt fortune on the Pacific Slope. On April 20, 1852, he sailed in the bark Southerner, around Cape Horn, for San Francisco, where he arrived on the 22d of October. It was not to loiter in that city that he had braved the dangers of the deep and made the wearisome voyage; no, he almost immediately went to the gold-producing canons of the Sierras, but not finding there the riches that he had expected, he made his way back to San Francisco, and there remained until January II, 1853. At this date he first came to the Contra Costa, for Alameda County had not yet been created, and, locating in the vicinity of Union City, embarked in farming operations on the land at present owned by John Shinn. There he remained until October, 1853, when he removed to the Encinal of Alameda, and commenced agricultural ural pursuits on land now owned by Capt. R. R. Thompson, and upon which that gentleman has erected his handsome mansion. In December, 1854, he transferred the scene of his labors to Bay Farm Island, rented land from Mr. Cleveland, on which he farmed until 1856. In the following year he was associated with Mr. McDonald in tilling the soil, and in 1859 he erected and occupied the house in which he now resides. Mr. Benedict owns on the island about seventy-five acres of land, which is chiefly devoted to the raising of asparagus and hops, while he is largely interested in the latter industry with Jacob B. Shirk, in Washington Township. This enterprise Mr. Benedict has succeeded in bringing to a high state of perfection, and with the high prices ranging during the past year for that commodity the yield has added considerably to his already well-filled coffers. The benefits that he has conferred upon the small community of the Island are many. His advocacy and support of our public school system shows that he firmly believes that the only royal road to knowledge is by the early training of the young, and that it is the "mind that makes the man." Married, February 19, 1857, Mrs. Persis A. (Cleveland), widow of Chester Hamlin, who has two surviving children.
NEWTON BENEDICT.—Was born in Rhode Island, September 15, 1825, and is the son of David and Margaret (Gano) Benedict. He received his education in his native place, and there resided until seventeen years of age, when he went to Boston--- and became connected with the Boston Daily Times newspaper, at that time the leading daily morning paper in that city. Here Mr. Benedict resided most of the time until his departure for California. The father of our subject was a distinguished divine of the Baptists, and was the historian of the denomination, an erudite article which will be found in extenso in the Encyclopedia Britannica. On March 4, 1849, Mr. Benedict sailed from Boston in the ship Charlotte by way of Cape Horn for the Pacific Coast, and after a voyage of one hundred and ninety-two days, with all its attendant discomforts, cast anchor in the harbor of San Francisco. Proceeding a once to the mining county of El Dorado, he there embarked in a mercantile business, which he continued until 1854. In that year he returned to San Francisco for a short time, and subsequently located in Todd's Valley, Placer County—eighteen miles above Auburn, on the divide between the north and middle forks of the American River. Here he dealt in merchandise until 1862. He next passed four years partly in Washington Territory and in the State of Nevada, still being engaged in the same business, and in 1866 came to Alameda County, located in Oakland, and assumed the affairs of several fire and life insurance agencies. In 1867 Mr. Benedict filled the office of Recording Secretary to the State Legislature of California; performing its functions the last three sessions in the senate until the year 1879-80. In 1875, he embarked in real estate transactions which he now continues, being associated with James R. Capell, under the style of Benedict, Capell & Co., real estate agents, and notaries public, at No. 457 Ninth Street, Oakland. Mr. Benedict married, September 14, 1853, Fanny S. Burrows, nee Sowles, a native of New York, and has: Anna H., and Harry G.
ROBERT H. BENNETT.—Was born in Baltimore, Maryland, in the year 1826, and is the son of John and Elizabeth S. Bennett. Having received his education in the ordinary schools of that city, he entered the counting-room of a grain commission house where he remained until 1849. On the 25th January, of that year he sailed from Baltimore in the ship Jane Parker by way of Cape Horn to San Francisco, where he arrived July 21, 1849. Mr. Bennett and two others on landing pitched their tent on the site now occupied by the Clay-street Bank, and there established a mercantile store, which was carried on with much success until the never-to-be-forgotten May fire of 185o. Notwithstanding this disaster the business was immediately started under the style and firm of Bennett & Kirby, hardware and commission merchants, and continued until July, 1851. Mr Bennett now entered the commission and produce trade under the name of R. H. Bennett & Co., but in 1855, upon forming a copartnership with H. G. Blaisdell, ex-governor of the State of Nevada, the same business was carried on in the store-ship Steiglits at what is now the corner of East and Washington Streets. At the end of a year the firm resumed its old style of R. H. Bennett & Co., by which it is still known and highly respected in San Francisco. In 1878 Mr. Bennett came to Haywards and took the warehouses there. He with his family were residents of Oakland between the years 1864 and 1876, in which latter year they moved to Fruit Vale, where they at present dwell. Mr. Bennett is married and has a family of two children surviving.
AUGUSTIN BERNAL.—Was born in San Jose, Santa Clara County, California, May 25, 1848. His father, Augustin Bernal, who died June 19, 1872, was born at the Santa Teresa Rancho, in Santa Clara County, and was eighty-seven years of age at the time of his demise. For more than twenty years he served as a lieutenant in the Mexican army, for which he received eleven leagues of land in the San Ramon and Livermore Valleys, known as the Rancho El Valle de San Jose, and which he divided equally with his brother Juan Pablo Bernal, and two sisters. As patented, the rancho contained forty-eight thousand acres, and extended from SuFiol Valley to Livermore. He was twice, married, and left a widow and large family of sons and daughters to mourn his loss. He was much respected for his honesty, integrity, genial and generous disposition, while, he was an exception to the general run of his countrymen. He was very careful and held on well to his property, and made it secure by dividing it among his children; the result is that the Bernals hold their ground on the original grant better than any other of the native families. When but an infant the subject of this sketch was brought by his parents to what is now known as Alameda County, where he has since resided, at present owning an estate of eleven hundred and fifty acres, which he rents, and maintains a residence himself in Pleasanton. Married Miss Francesca Soto, a native of San Mateo County, by whom there is no issue.
JOSE BERNAL.—This scion of one of California's most ancient and well-known Spanish families, was born in what was then known as the Contra Costa section of the District of San Jose, October 20, 1823. Save during the time of attending the schools at Monterey, the former capital of California, Mr. Bernal has been always a resident of what is now called Murray Township, Alameda County—the place of his birth. Fuller remarks on the Bernal family will be found elsewhere. Our subject married, November io, 1855, Alta Garcia Higuerra, a native of California, by whom there are: Ezequiel, Ezequies, Peryguino, Gonzaguia, Francisco, Emil, Manuel, Candido, Sedonia, Madronia.
ELIJAH BIGELOW.—Is the son of Elijah and Rebecca (Fisk) Bigelow, and was born in Newton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, September 9, 181o. Here he resided until the year 1852, when joining in the human stream then turned towards California, he sailed from the city of New York, March 2oth, and arrived per steamer California in the harbor of San Francisco, May 14, [852. He at once embarked in the grocery and provision business on Front Street, and there continued three years, afterwards being thus engaged in other parts of the city in the same line of trade until 1863, when he crossed the bay to Oakland, and started in real-estate transactions, acquiring the first homestead in Oakland, it being situated at the corner of Market and Fourteenth Streets of the present day. Married, firstly, July 13, 1834, Emma McLachlan who died January 6, 188o; and secondly, May 15, 1882, Mrs. C. F. Bartlett. .
J. A. BILZ.—Was born in Baden, Germany, January 7, 1837. When about twenty years of age, he emigrated to the United States, sailing from Havre, and arriving in New York July 3, 1857. After working at his trade for five years in the State of New York, and about nine months in Connecticut, he sailed from New York in April, 1863, via Panama, to San Francisco, landing May ioth of the same year. For the first three months he worked in Benicia; afterwards he moved to San Jose; then to Mission San Jose, and subsequently in different places until the fall of„j865, when he came to Pleasanton, there being but five houses in the town at that firm-- Here he commenced working at his trade, which has steadily increased, until at the present writing he is the proprietor of a large wagon factory. To Mr. Bilz is the honor of building the first wagon in the Livermore Valley. He married in Centreville, March 28, 1869, Miss Catharine Ishinger, a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, and has three surviving children, viz.: Helene, Selma, and Minnie; and one deceased named Charles.
AMASA WRIGHT BISHOP.—One of the old residents and prominent citizens of Oakland is the gentleman whose portrait appears in this work. Mr. Bishop was born at Wallingford, Rutland County, Vermont, August 18, 1832; was educated for the Bar, and at the age of twenty entered the law office of the Hon. David E. Nicholson. By the laws of Vermont, five years' reading in the office of an attorney is necessary before admission to the Bar, and only then upon a certificate and affidavit of good character, and thorough examination. Mr. Bishop pursued his studies in the same office for five years, practicing in the mean time in the Courts of Justices of the Peace in his own and neighboring towns, and was always very successful in his practice. In 1857 he was examined, and admitted an attorney of the Rutland County Bar.. Always predisposed to literature, during his studentship he wrote more or less for the press; and in 1857, in connection with a schoolmate and student in the same office, Philip H. Emerson (now, and for the past ten years United States District Judge of Utah. Territory), he started a small paper, simply for amusement, called The Local Spy, which created no little stir in the staid community as each weekly issue made its appearance. The paper was continued for more than a year, and until Mr. Bishop left for California, arriving in the Golden State early in 1859. He sought his fortune in the mines, as did nearly all new-corners at that time; but it did not require a great length of time to convince him, in the language of Leatherstocking that mining was not his "gift." He returned to Marysville, and for some eight or nine months devoted himself to mercantile business, in the saddlery and harness store of John W. Moore, Esq., one of Marysville's best citizens. Early in January, 186o, at the request of Mr. Moore, he went to Red Bluff, Tehama County, to take charge of the same business for his brother, C. A. Moore. While in Marysville he was a constant writer for the press, and . after locating in Red Bluff, was a steady contributor to the Marysville Appeal, and also to the Red Bluff Beacon. At the solicitation of leading Republicans and anti-Le Compton Democrats, he gave up his position with Mr. Moore, and started the Semi- Weekly Independent at Red Bluff, the first paper issued oftener than once a week north of Marysville, and the first paper to take. the dispatches—first, of the Pony Express across the Continent; afterwards the telegraphic dispatches. The first paper was issued August 14, 186o. In the fall of 186o he was appointed Deputy District Attorney of Tehama County; and the District Attorney leaving the State soon after, he exercised that office until the next election. Tehama County at this time was one of the strongest of Democratic strongholds, only thirty-nine Republican votes having been polled in 1859. At the Presidential election in 186o, however, through the untiring labors of Mr. Bishop, and the influence of the Independent, this vote was increased to two hundred and forty-two for Abraham Lincoln, the balance of the vote being divided between the Douglass, Bell, and Breckinridge electors-01e Douglass ticket receiving four hundred and ninety-seven votes; the Bell and Everett ticket two hundred and nineteen votes, and the balance going to the Breckinride ticket. The next year, 1861, Mr. Bishop accepted the nomination for District Attorney from the Republican Convention, and worked with so much energy and persistency, visiting nearly every voter in the county, that he beat the nominee of the combined Democracy—Breckinridge and Douglass—by seventy-six votes. In 18(,2 the Republican party carried the county, electing its full ticket. Such was the change in public sentiment, and the credit for that change was due, in a great measure, to the personal work of, and the paper edited and published by, Mr. Bishop. At the session of the Legislature of 1863-64, Mr. Bishop's services were recognized, and he was chosen Assistant Secretary of the Senate by acclamation, and served during the session. The same year the Democratic paper, the Beacon, succumbed, was bought by Mr. Bishop, and merged in the Independent. In 1863, on the 7th day of November, Mr. Bishop married an estimable young lady of Red Bluff, Ellen M., the daughter of Captain L. G. Reed, the pioneer settler of the town, who located the town site, and built the first house, a hotel, at the steamer-landing. In 1865 Mr. Bishop sold his paper, and devoted his time to his profession, holding at the same time the office of Collector of Internal Revenue for the division including Tehama, Colusa, and Butte Counties. The people of Chico, learning that he had sold out his paper at Red Bluff, prevailed upon him to locate at Chico, and start a paper at that fast growing and prosperous. town. He went to Chico in the fall of 1865, and started the Weekly Courant, editing the paper and practicing law up to May, 1869, when he again sold out his business, office, and dwelling, and moved to Oakland. In the summer he took a trip to his old home in Vermont, visiting many of the Eastern, Western, and Southwestern States. He returned in July of that year, and opened a law office in San Francisco. Never idle, always most happy when pressed with business, he could not sit down in idleness and wait for it to come to him; therefore, to fill up the time, he started the Masonic Mirror, which he edited and published for four years. In 1872 he was solicited by many prominent citizens of Oakland to purchase the Oakland Daily Transcript, and make it a stanch Republican journal. He listened to the advice and solicitations of friends, and, the old fascination seizing him, he bought the paper; and in building it up and placing it on a paying basis it cost him several thousand dollars—all he possessed, in fact— besides nearly breaking his constitution with severe labor, he doing the work of two and three men during the four years and a half he conducted the paper. In 1876 he sold his interest in the paper—having previously sold a half interest—and in the summer of 1877, received the appointment of Superintendent of Bonded Warehouses at the port of San Francisco, which position he held until July, 1880. At the election of 1880 Mr. Bishop was elected City Justice of the Peace of the city of Oakland, and was re-elected to the same office, without opposition, at the election of 1882, which position he now holds. Mr. Bishop has always been, active in politics, but he has never stooped to deceive, or forfeit his integrity—ever holding that honesty should prevail in politics as well as in the business affairs of life. If he' could not support a man, he was ever free to tell him so. If he does support a man, he does it with his whole might, mind, and soul. A friend he never forsakes, and if he has an enemy, it never troubles him nor disturbs his feelings. His motto has ever been, "Do ye unto others as ye would that others should do unto you." It would be impossible for a man to be active in politics, publish a strict, terse, incisive party paper, and not make enemies; nevertheless, Mr. Bishop has probably as few enemies as any man in Oakland, for the reason that he always avoided personalities, dealing wholly with principles, and not with men. But when he combats what to his mind are false doctrines and political evils and heresies, his pen is as sharp and effective as a two-edged sword of Milan steel. His literary works are all of a high order. A California romance "Kentuck," written by him while engaged in the arduous duties of editing the Daily Transcript, received the highest encomiums from the press throughout the Coast, as the best exposition of early California life ever given to the public—equal, and, as many asserted, superior to Bret Harte's best. Few persons in California have a more extensive acquaintance than Mr. Bishop, and those who know him best, most appreciate his integrity of character, firmness of purpose, honesty of motives, and upright life; while all admit his ability as a terse and forcible writer; a man of general information, well read in the law, a conscientious Judge, and a useful citizen. Such is a condensed and imperfect sketch of a few incidents and points in the life and career of Amasa Wright Bishop, who for fourteen years has been a resident of the beautiful city of Oakland, and a citizen of Alameda County.
JOSEPH F. BLACK.—Whose portrait appears in this volume, was born in
WILLIAM CLARK BLACKWOOD.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this history, is the son of Samuel and Mary (McMordy) Blackwood, and was born in Seneca County, New York, June 7, 1813, beino-b the youngest of seven sons—no daughters. Having received a common school education and worked on a farm until the year 1836, he emigrated to Michigan and settled near the town of Farmington, Oakland County, where he followed farming for ten years. In 1846 Mr. Blackwood embarked in the. milling business in Wayne, in the same State, and there remained until starting for California. Making the journey by way of New Orleans and Chagres, he arrived in San Francisco by the steamer Union, June 26, 1851. After prospecting some months, in October of that year he came to the redwoods, which then stood uncut above Brooklyn, or East Oakland, where he remained until the following January (1852), when he removed to Eden Township and began farming, which he continued until 1878. Mr. Blackwood now gives his attention to fruit- growing, he having an orchard of sixty acres under apricots, plums, prunes, etc. Married, firstly, in September, 1835, Miss Elizabeth J. Woodward, who died in April, 185o, leaving four children, viz.: Samuel W., Sarah E., Mary F., and Clementine; and, secondly, Miss Jane Evert, by which union there is one daughter named Lucy; and, thirdly, Miss Elizabeth Craig. His son was educated a physician and surgeon, and served as such with distinction in the Union Army during the Civil War, and was breveted a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Army of the United States for distinguished professional services by President Johnson. He died October, 1871, in Peru, while professionally employed as Superintendent of Railroad Hospitals in that republic by the celebrated Harry Meigs.
ROBERT BLACOW (deceased).—This gentleman, whose portrait will be found in our pages, was born in England, December 6, 1814, and resided there until he attained the age of twenty-five years. In 1839 he emigrated to the United States, and settled in Illinois, in what was known as the "American Bottoms," opposite the cityof St. Louis. Here he maintained a residence until 1842-3, when he moved and located in the outskirts of St. Louis, there engaging in general farming and dairying, his business being to supply the inhabitants of the city with milk. On June 5, 1845, he was united in matrimony to Miss Helen Catharine Deering, a native of Germany, and four years thereafter, in 1849, emigrated via the Isthmus of Panama to California. On landing, Mr. Blacow at once proceeded to the mines, where he remained until the fall of 1851, when he took up the homestead, now consisting of three hundred and fifty-eight acres, at present occupied by his widow. Immediately after locating his claim in 1853, Mr. Blacow returned to Illinois, where he had left his wife and three children, and fitting up an outfit crossed the plains to California, and took up his residence in their new home in Alameda County. Here he died December 22, 1873, leaving the following family: William, Alice, Mary, Alfred, and Richard.
CHRISTIAN BOTHSOW (deceased).—Was born in the Island of Alse, Denmark, August 6, 1825. Having followed the life of a sailor until he attained the age of twenty-one years, he then returned to. his home, there remained two years, and after- wards learned the trade of ship-carpenter, at which he worked on board of different vessels until his arrival in California. First settling in Union City, near Alvarado, he there remained until 1852, when he located upon the farm of one hundred and sixty acres, where his family now resides. Married February 16, 1856, Miss Jane Hendry, a native of Morayshire, Scotland, by which union there is a family of three children, viz.: Henry N., Anna Christina, and Harriet E. Mr. Bothsow died November 20, 1879.
WILLIAM J. BOWEN.—Was born at Fall River, Bristol County, Massachusetts, March 14, 1817, and at seventeen years of age entered upon a seafaring life, at which he continued thirteen years, his last voyage being made in the ship Edwezi; the year 1839, to a Peruvian port. At the end of this cruise he took up his residence in the Society Islands, where he was engaged for about five years in command of vessels plying in the South Seas. He then made an attempt to come to California, in a vessel built there by himself, but owing to a disagreement with his partner the trip was abandoned, and the craft sold. He then shipped in the schooner Currency Lass, and after going to the Sandwich Islands, came on to San Francisco, and made an attempt to establish a lumber trade with Bodega, Sonoma County, but was not allowed to land the cargo in San Francisco, his vessel being under a French protective flag; he, therefore, returned to the Sandwich Islands, loaded for San Francisco once more, but on arrival found that the market was glutted, so he returned with his freight to the Islands. Mr. Bowen thence sailed to the friendly shores of the Society Islands. Now came the discovery of gold in California, therefore he brought the Sackety Hawk, with passengers. He now engaged in the lumber trade with Bodega, and having had his craft driven on shore, eventually got her off after seventeen days passed in discharging her cargo, aided by Capt. Juan Smith and his Indians. The vessel was sold to a man named Phelps, who never paid for her, but some legal difficulty intervening, Mr. Bowen turned her over to the Justice of the Peace, and in May, 1849, betook himself to the mines, where for five months he was very fortunate. He now returned to the Bay City, purchased an interest in the brig Sabine, and in her made a voyage to Australia, and on his return suffered shipwreck on a reef at the Navigators' Islands. Here he was placed in command of a vessel that had been stolen in the harbor of Sydney, whither he returned with her. At this place Mr. Bowen married, returned to San Francisco, and took up his residence at Sausalito, Marin County. At the end of three years he removed to San Francisco, but six months thereafter crossed to Ocean View (now West Berkeley), and in 1853 built the first hotel in that place, in which business he remained twenty-three years.. He is now engaged in the wood and coal business at the corner of DelaTare Street and San Pablo Avenue.
B. F. BRANNAN.—Was born in Jackson County, Indiada, August 8, 1833. In 1851 he went west to Tama County, Iowa, and was a resident of that State sixteen years. In 1867 he emigrated, via Panama, to the Pacific Coast, came to Alameda County, and located on the place now owned by George Beck, about five miles north of Livermore. In 1878 he purchased his present homestead, adjoining that town, consisting of forty acres. Is married, and has two children. Florence and Maud.
JAMES A. BREWER.—Was born in Oneida County, New York, November 29, 1834, where he received his schooling, and resided until the spring of 1852, being up to that time engaged in farming. In the season just mentioned he turned towards the west, and, proceeding to Wisconsin, was there employed in the construction of the railroad between Janesville and Monroe. At the end of eighteen 'months Mr. Brewer removed to Kansas, and there maintained a domicile until starting for California. In March, 1856, he essayed the arduous journey across the plains with horSe-teams, and, coming direct to Alameda County, located at Washington Corners in July, 18='6. Here he engaged in farming, an occupation he has since followed at that place. During his residence in Kansas Mr. Brewer held the office of County Surveyor of Atchison County, which position he held until leaving for the Pacific Coast. Married, 11th of October, 1866, Mrs. Maria Ann (widow of J. R. McDavid, who was a well-kno‘n n farmer of Washington Township, died June 21, 1861, and left four children, Volun.a A., Julia L., Troy C., and John R.), and has two children, viz.: James M. and Henry .
EDWARD BROWN.—Was born November II, 1839, in Bridgenorth, England; was educated and lived in Wymondham, Leicestershire, until appointed to a position in a railway office in London, where he remained until March 29, 1863, at which date he sailed for New York. Very shortly afterwards he went into the service of the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York, and in April, 1865, was appointed agent of that company for 'Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. In 1868 he organized the Lancaster Fire Insurance Company; capital, $200,000; and acted as its Secretary until November, 1871; when La Caisse Generale—a Paris Fire Office—established an American Branch, Mr. Brown was appointed Superintendent of Agencies. In January, 1875, he was sent to San Francisco to establish a business upon the Pacific Coast for the said company. On May 1, 1878, the firm of Brown, Craig & Co.—Mr. Homer A. Craig of Oakland being the other partner—was formed, their office being at No. 215 Sansome Street, where it has ever since remained. Mr. Brown resides in Alameda, is married, and has five children.
SAMUEL R. BROWN.—Was born in Upper Canada February 9, 1818, where he learned the miller's trade with his father in the town of Malahide. Here he resided until he became thirty-four years of age. Early in the year 1852 he -sailed — from New York for California in the ship Grecian, and after rounding Cape Horn came to an anchor in San Francisco Harbor August 12, 1852. Proceeding at once to the mines in Nevada County, he there remained but a short time, when, being attacked with fever, he was compelled for a time to abandon this occupation. The intervening five years, up till 1857, he passed in different parts of the State, and in November of that year came to Alameda County and found employment with Musser & McClure, and remained there until 1863. In that year he purchased his present hotel property, and commenced conducting the house of entertainment at Washington Corners known as Brown's Hotel. Here he at present resides. Married August 17, 1863, to Miss Mary Langton, a native of Ireland, and has two children, viz.: Silvia A., and James W.
DR. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN BUCKNELL, (deceased).—Was born in the town of Hiram, State of Maine, in the month of October, 1821. Losing his father at the early age of five years, he was left with three sisters to the care of his mother; who, finding it difficult to support and properly rear so large a family, gave him (soon after his father's death), to her sister's husband, a farmer living in an adjoining town. The farmer with little regard to his tender years and delicate constitution, required very hard work from him, infant as he was, during the summer months, but allowed him to attend the public schools in winter. Being a good scholar and very ambitious; he determined to have a better education than it was possible to obtain where he was; he left his uncle, despite his efforts to retain him, at the age of fourteen, and entered the Manual Laboring School in Readfield, Maine, where he remained about three years, receiving some aid from two of his mother's brothers, residents of Readfield, and much kindness from the wife of one of his uncles, which he always remembered with great gratitude. When seventeen years old, he commenced teaching during the autumn and winter months, thereby earning money to defray the expense of studying during the remainder of the year. When about nineteen he began the study of medicine with Dr. Potter of Waterville, but failing health, and the fear of consumption, inherited from his father, obliged him to seek a milder climate.: He went to Savannah, and afterwards to Florida, teaching and still pursuing the study of medicine. Three years later, finding his health much improved, he returned to New England and entered the Medical School at Dartmouth College, from which he graduated in 1846 and commenced the practice of his profession soon after in his native town. The following year he was married to Miss Martha E. Lincoln of Cornish, Maine. The Doctor's ambition soon led him to seek a larger and more lucrative practice, and he went to take the place of a physician recently moved from Machias, Maine. Here he found an abundance of work, but his health never robust soon failed rapidly. He took a young physician as partner, hoping thereby to be able to remain, but a return of hemorrhage from the lungs again drove him to seek a more genial clime, and on the 4th of November, 1850, accompanied by his wife and sister, he sailed in the brig Agate bound for San Francisco. During the voyage of six months his health seemed quite restored, he having gained sixty-eight pounds in flesh, and on reaching San Francisco, April 24th, he concluded to commence the practice of his profession in that city. Six months later a return of his old pulmonary troubles convinced him that he could not long endure the cold winds of the bay. He visited Alameda County in quest of business, where the wind was said to be less severe; meeting with John M. Horner, he obtained from him the agency of a steamboat, which was to run daily from Union City (now Alvarado) to San Francisco and back, loaded with vegetables and other produce raised by Mr. Homer, and the farmers in the vicinity. Here Dr. Bucknell established a post-office, got an appointment as Justice of the Peace; and besides attending daily to the loading and unloading of the steamboat, he discharged the duties of these offices, occasionally performing the marriage ceremony for those who could not obtain a minister's services; in addition to all this he went to attend the sick whenever called, and as he spoke Spanish, he soon received calls to visit the afflicted in most of the Spanish families in that part of the county. In 1852 and 1853 he suffered so much from rheumatism, that he concluded to leave Alvarado and try the interior of the State, and he moved to Marysville, but after living one year in the city, and another year on a ranch near the city, he was prostrated with malarial fever, and returned to Alameda County, this time to the Mission of San Jose, where he received much kindness from Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Beard; soon afterwards he purchased from Mr. Combs a farm of two hundred and forty acres, between Washington and Centreville, and in September moved into the farmhouse which Mr. Combs had built for his Own family, which was quite commodious and comfortable. During all these changes and wanderings Dr. Bucknell had been acornpanied by his wife, and in this farm-house, Feb. 25, 1856, their first child, a 4aughter, was born. Her name was Frances. The doctor was exceedingly fond of this child, and after she attained the age of one year, she could be seen seated by his side during most of his rides about the neighbor hood. In September, 1858, a second daughter was born. About this time his mother, who had come to California two years previous, became an invalid, and died the following autumn. Her death was a great blow to the doctor, and his own health failed rapidly afterwards. Inherited consumption which for more than half his life he had been battling against, could no longer be kept at bay, and he sank beneath its power, dying April 19, 186o. His wife and children remained upon the farm two years after his death. During the winter of 1862-63 they were in San Francisco, where the youngest child fell a victim to measles, which was at the time prevailing as an epidemic. The following autumn .Mrs. Bucknell with her only child went to New England to visit her mother, and having always felt great interest in her husband's profession, determined to study the same herself. The following winter she entered the Woman's Medical College in Boston, and three years after graduated. She intended to return immediately to California, but her aged mother was still living, and she could not make up her mind to go so far away as long as her mother lived, consequently she went to Portland, Maine, and practiced for three years in that city; her mother died about this time, and she returned to California, since when she has practiced her profession in San Francisco and Oakland. She is a member of the State Medical Society of California, also a member of the Alameda County Medical Society. Her present residence is No. 616 Eighth Street, Oakland, which is also the residence of her daughter, now the wife of I. W. Reed. From her daughter Mrs. Bucknell has never been separated at any time since her birth except for about four months, soon after her marriage.
DIEDERICH BUHSEN.—The subject of this sketch, whose portrait appears in this work, was born in Holstein, Germany, August 26, 182o, and is the son of Claus and Catharine (Rhoda) Buhsen. Having received his schooling, and had his home there until 1839, in which year he began a seafaring life, an occupation which brought him to the United States in the following year, where he was vicariously employed in coasting-vessels, and ocean-going steamers and ships until the year 1843, when, in company with his brother Nicholas Buhsen, he embarked in the grocery and liquor business in the city of New York. There he remained till 1858, when, taking passage on the Star of the West, he sailed to the Isthmus of Panama en route for California, arriving in San Francisco per Golden Age, March 22, 1858. Proceeding to Sierra County he there prospected for a short time, and, upon the breaking out of the Frazer River excitement, went to British Columbia. He subsequently returned to California and farmed for a short time near Mount Eden, but eventually transferred his habitation to San Francisco, where he embarked in a general freighting business, and continued it until 186o. He now opened a bakery at the corner of Broadway and Battery Street, in that city, but shortly afterwards transferred it to the corner of Pacific and Davis Streets. In July, 1864, purchasing property in West Oakland, Mr. Buhsen erected a small dwelling thereupon on the site of his present store, which was destroyed by fire in 1876, when he erected his present place of business at the corner of Pine and Seventh Streets. Besides this establishment he owns considerable property in the vicinity. Married, August 26,1848, Miss Anna Bockwaldt, by whom he has surviving two children, viz.: Eda, and A. Nicholas.
EDWIN E. BURDICK.—Was born in Stonington, New London County, Connecticut, March I I, 1829, where he was employed on his father's farm, and a portion of the time at the blacksmith's trade until 1846, when he joined a wrecking-vessel, but she being lost off Cape Fear he was landed at Wilmington, North Carolina, where he commenced working at his trade, and stayed one winter. In March, 1853, he sailed from New York in the Crescent City to Aspinwall, and from Panama came to San Francisco in the Oregon, where he arrived on the 27th of the following month. After a few weeks he proceeded to Grass Valley, but soon after came to Alameda County and obtained employment with H. K. W. Clarke, on the place he now occupies. He then worked in different places and finally leased one hundred and thirty acres of land belonging to the South Pacific Coast Railroad, where he at present resides, being engaged in general farming. He is married and has five children, viz.: Abbie L., Edward F., Charles H., Henry H., Mary L.
JOHN F. BURDICK, M. D.—Son of the Rev. James R. and Mrs. Anna (Babcock) Burdick, was born in Ithaca, Tompkins County, New York, September 25, 1849. Having received his education in the Cornell University, in 1869 he entered upon the study of medicine at Ann Arbor, Michigan, whence he was graduated in 1872. He now returned to the county of his birth and commenced the practice of his profession, which he continued until 1876, when he came to Oakland, Alameda County, and practiced there until appointed by the Board of Supervisors Physician to the County Infirmary in December, 1878, a position he now holds. Married in March, 1882, Miss Carrie Hebbard.
WILL. H. BURRALL.—Was born in Herkimer County, New York, May 4, 1835, and there resided until 1849, in which year he emigrated to Wisconsin and settled.in Kenosha County, being' engaged in farming there until 1854, when he removed to Winona, Minnesota, where he was engaged in the hardware trade; thence, at the end of three years, going to Illinois and teaching school near Chicago until 1859, when he emigrated to Nevada, and located in Virginia City, where he engaged in mining and the book and stationery business until April, 1874, at which date he removed with his family to Napa City, California, residing there until August, 1876, when he came to Alameda County, locating in Oakland, and embarking in the real estate business. He has been a notary public for fourteen years. Married in San Francisco in 1863, Miss Sarah A. Marsh, a native of the State of New York, then residing in Waukegan, Illinois, and has four daughters, viz.: Millie, Jessie, Lucia, and Belle; aged respectively, seventeen, fifteen, thirteen, and eleven; all born in Virginia City, Nevada. Their only son, Ralph, having died there in 1868.
FRED. L. BUTTON.—Born in Pontiac, Michigan, in March, 1856. In 1863 came to California with his parents, who, in the autumn of that year, settled in Oakland. Attended the primary and grammar schools of that city; in 1868, awaiting the establishment of a high school, was for a few months in the office of the Daily Transcript, learning the printer's trade, and also attended the Brayton College School. Completed the course of study at the High School and State University at Berkeley, graduated from this last institution in 1876, receiving the University gold medal for general excellence in scholarship and also the prize for the most meritorious scientific essay. Having at that time served a year as assistant instructor in mathematics under appointment by the Regents of the University, he continued in that position during the succeeding year. At the end of this time he commenced the study of law in the office of Messrs. Vrooman and Davis; Mr. Vrooman then being District Attorney of Alameda County. Here he availed himself of the ample opportunities offered for acquiring extended practical experience in all branches of his profession, and in 1879 was admitted to practice . in the Supreme Court. Soon after established a law office in Oakland, where, by his studious habits, careful attention to professional duties, and known personal integrity, he has built up a lucrative practice and taken a prominent position among the younger members of the Bar.
N. B. BYRNE.--Was born in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri, November 2, 1817, where he resided until he attained the age of fourteen years, at which time he accompanied his parents to New Madrid County, in the same State; there making his home until leaving for the Pacific Slope. In March, 1859, accompanied by his wife and four children, he started with ox-teams, and a drove of cattle, to cross the plains to California, finally arriving in Oakland, Alameda County, in the month of September of that year. A month afterwards he moved to North Berkeley and farmed until 1873, when land there becoming too valuable for farming he removed to the San Joaquin Valley and engaged in a similar pursuit, and finding that unprofitable he, in 1880, returned to Berkeley and embarked in his present business of wood and coal dealer, on University Avenue. Married July 19, 1849, Miss Mary Tanner, a native of New Madrid, and has six children.
DUNCAN CAMERON.—The subject of this sketch is a descendant of a long line of Scottish chivalry, and belongs to that clan which claims Lochiel for its chieftain. He is the son of Samuel and Sarah (Pullen) Cameron, and was born in Canada June 22, 1820. Receiving his early training in his native place and there residing until 1838, in that year he went to Clintonville, Essex County, New York, and after a residence of ten months there, returned home, and subsequently removed to the State of Vermont. Our subject after a short time proceeded to the State of New York, and dwelt until the year 1845 at Ticonderoga, Essex County, at which time he took up his quarter's in New York City and commenced boating on the Hudson River. Mr. Cameron next " went to sea" and while in the capacity of a sailor heard of the wonderful gold discoveries in California, upon which he determined to tempt that fickle jade, Fortune, at the mines. To this end he rounded the " Horn," and cast anchor in the bay of San Francisco, September 24, 185o, having twice suffered shipwreck on the voyage. The motto of this enterprising gentleman has ever been "to be up and doing;" losing no time, therefore, he shipped as a fireman for service on the Sacramento River, but making only two trips, he betook himself to terra firma and embarked in the grocery trade. In January, 1851, he moved to the Pacheco Valley (now Contra Costa County) and embarked in farming operations, but only remaining there a few months, returned to San Francisco and opened a saloon, which abandoning, he worked as fireman on a steamer plying between San Francisco and Sacramento. In that year (1851) Sacramento was visited by a great flood, a disaster to others which Mr. Cameron quickly turned to his own advantage. As long as the waters covered the face of the district our subject plied a boat along its inundated streets and on their subsidence he embarked in a draying business. Disliking the place on account of its unhealthfulness, he sought another location and pitched upon the little village of San Antonio, which now forms a portion of Brooklyn, or East Oakland, which place he reached by way of Martinez, on horseback. Here he started the first livery-stable in the place, with three horses, which he kept in a yard. The livery business prospered, and in -1853 he built a large stable and had eight or ten horses. In about a year, however, he sold out, and in 1854, purchased a piece of property, and building upon it a residence, prepared to make that place his permanent home. About this time he bought the valuable block on which the post-office in Oakland now stands, and in 1854 espoused Miss Anne Lydia Maddox of Castro Valley, a native of the State of Illinois. In 1856 Mr. Cameron started in the stage business in opposition to that run by McLaughlin, then a famous local line. In 1858 he bought a quantity of land for farming purposes, which, however, he partly disposed of in 1861. Previous to the real estate excitement of 1868, he purchased a tract of land north of the town of Brooklyn, or East Oakland, known as the Cameron Tract, for eighteen thousand dollars, which he disposed of within a year for fifty thousand dollars. Mr. Cameron has filled various public positions from constable upwards. He has been twice elected to the Board of Supervisors of Alameda County, and has filled with credit the position of Public Administrator of the county for two terms. He has always taken an active part in politics, and was in succession a Whig and a Republican. His family consists of a daughter and son named, Nellie E., and Ashley D. An excellent portrait of this gentleman will be found in this volume.
EDWIN H. CAMPBELL.—Is the son of S. G. and Elmira (Cook) Campbell, and was, born in Westfield, Massachusetts, April 10, 1850, but when five or six years old was taken by his parents to Dixon, Illinois, where he resided until he attained the age of fifteen years. At that period of his existence he launched out to face the buffetings of the world. He followed different occupations up till 1870, when he came to California, located in Sacramento, and in 1874 removed to Oakland, where he has since been engaged in the wine and liquor business, and is at present the popular proprietor of the Galindo Billiard Parlors on Eighth Street. Married in 1879, Miss Annie Bain, a native of Minnesota, and has no issue.
TALLCUT P. CAREY.—This gentleman is the son of L. H. and Lucy (Doolittle) Carey, and was born in Boston, Erie County, New York, April I I, 1828. His grandfather, Richard Carey, fought for seven years in the ranks of the Revolutionary Army, and had a son who fell fighting for the liberty of his country in the year 1813, in a hand- to-hand combat with four Indians at the burning of Buffalo, New York. Our subject resided with his parents until he reached the age of twenty-three years, and there, in his native town, received his education. On January 7, 1852, he sailed from New York in the steamer Cherokee to Chagres, whence he found his way to Panama and thence took passage in a sailing-vessel, the brig Christiania, arriving in San Francisco on the 7th April of that year. Proceeding immediately to Chinese Camp, Tuolumne County, he there commenced mining, which, however, he abandoned a few weeks later for, stock-raising in what is now a portion of Stanislaus County. Here he remained until the year 1878, when, owing to failing health, he leased his range and came to Alameda County, locating at San Leandro. Mr. Carey's possessions in the two counties, Merced and Stanislaus, amount to three thousand acres of land. Married, December 23, 1856, Miss Elizabeth J. McGee, a native of Missouri, and has three surviving children, viz.: Lucy, Maggie, and A. B.
DANIEL S. CARPENTER.—The present efficient and popular Tax Collector of Contra Costa County, was born in Newport, Herkimer County, New York, November 18, 1831. He resided on a farm and was educated at the common schools until 1852. March 5th of that year our subject with one cousin started for California, sailing from New York via Central America, arriving in San Francisco April 10th of the same year. Mr. Carpenter immediately proceeded to Sacramento to join a brother who had preceded him to this coast, and remained in the latter place until fall, when he proceeded to Trinity County, where he engaged in mining for two years, meeting with good success. Mr. Carpenter next moved to Auburn, Placer County, and followed several occupations, at one time being Deputy Sheriff of said county, and afterwards engaged in tunnel-mining at Iowa Hill, where he met with financial reverses, and concluded to try agricultural pursuits and selected Contra Costa as his base of future operations; He first located in New York Valley, where he resided until dispossessed by the owners of the New York grant. We next find Mr. Carpenter located on the San Joaquin on the place now occupied by the Empire Mine, and engaged in the mining business for two summers. He then moved to a ranch six miles from Martinez, where he resided but a short time, and in the fall of 1860 moved to where he now resides, at Clayton. Mr. Carpenter was Justice of the Peace of Clay-ten for a term of ten years, and October 3, 1881, was appointed by the Beard of Supervisors to the office of 1 ax Collector to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mr. Shuey. The subject of cur sketch was united in marriage in Clayton, November 19, 1E63, to Miss Sarah F. Curry, a native of Missouri. They have eight children, viz.: William L., Charles B., Alice M., Nellie E., Daniel S., Myron E., Clarence M., and Annie F.
History of Alameda County, California
Oakland: M W Wood, Publisher: 1883
Transcribed by Martha A Crosley Graham – Pages 836-860