IRS Free File Available through October 17

posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:45 AM by Marcus Lamar Walker   [ updated Apr 4, 2011, 8:47 AM ]
WASHINGTON, D.C., April 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — IRS Free File – the free way to prepare your federal taxes – is available to help hurried taxpayers meet the April 18 tax deadline. Can’t make the date? You also can use Free File to submit a six-month extension and file your taxes by October 17.

For 2011, taxpayers will have extra time, until April 18, because of a holiday in the District of Columbia.

“There’s no need to wait until April 18. You can start now and take your time. The IRS even has free tax software and online forms you can use to do your taxes, it’s called Free File,” said Cecille M. Jones, acting director of IRS electronic filing.

Free File makes taxes less taxing through brand-name software or online fillable forms, available only at People who made $58,000 or less in 2010 – 70 percent of all taxpayers – can use the software. People who made more can use Free File Fillable Forms.

But if you need more time to file your return, simply file Form 4868 to get a six month extension. Anyone can use Free File to file a Form 4868. You will then have until October 17 to file your taxes and Free File will be available for extension filers to prepare and e-file the returns.

The extension is for filing a tax return, not paying taxes. People who owe taxes must make an estimate and submit a payment by April 18 even if they get an extension to file.

The IRS also realizes many people are facing financial difficulties. Taxpayers who cannot pay their tax bill should still file their tax returns, pay what they can and contact the IRS. There are payment options available.