FLIGHTS FROM DES MOINES TO NEW YORK - JORDAN ONE FLIGHT LOW.
Flights From Des Moines To New York
- The capital of and the largest city in Iowa, in the southern central part of the state; pop. 198,682
- Des Moines is the capital and the most populous city in the U.S. state of Iowa. It is also the county seat of Polk County. A small portion of the city extends into Warren County. It was incorporated on September 22, 1851, as Fort Des Moines which was shortened to "Des Moines" in 1857.
- the capital and largest city in Iowa
- class cruisers (built with 10 twin mounts)^
- A major city and port in southeastern New York, situated on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Hudson River; pop. 7,322,564. It is situated mainly on islands, linked by bridges, and consists of five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island. Manhattan is the economic and cultural heart of the city, containing the stock exchange on Wall Street and the headquarters of the United Nations
- A state in the northeastern US, on the Canadian border and Lake Ontario in the northwest, as well as on the Atlantic coast in the southeast; pop. 18,976,457; capital, Albany; statehood, July 26, 1788 (11). Originally settled by the Dutch, it was surrendered to the British in 1664. New York was one of the original thirteen states
- a Mid-Atlantic state; one of the original 13 colonies
- one of the British colonies that formed the United States
- the largest city in New York State and in the United States; located in southeastern New York at the mouth of the Hudson river; a major financial and cultural center
- Shoot (wildfowl) in flight
- (in soccer, cricket, etc.) Deliver (a ball) with well-judged trajectory and pace
- (flight) shoot a bird in flight
- (flight) an instance of traveling by air; "flying was still an exciting adventure for him"
- (flight) fly in a flock; "flighting wild geese"
flights from des moines to new york - Des Moines:
Des Moines: 1845-1920 (IA) (Images of America)
Founded at the fork of two wilderness rivers, Fort Des Moines (which narrowly escaped being named Fort Raccoon) was a temporary garrison of dragoons to keep the peace between Native Americans and settlers until the area could be organized into a territory. After the soldiers left in 1845, pioneers and squatters moved into the abandoned cabins of the stockade, and the city of Des Moines was born. Its central location between the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers made it a natural center of provisioning and commerce for travelers heading west, and the city grew large enough to become Iowa's state capital in 1857. With the city consistently ranked in the top ten best places to live and work, the residents of Des Moines enjoy a quality of life that is the envy of most. This collection of images provides a look back to the historical roots that made the city what it is today.
Pratt Institute Main Building
Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, New York, New York City, United States The Pratt Institute Main Building including the attached South Hall and Memorial Hall is the focal point of the Pratt Institute campus, located in the Clinton Hill section of Brooklyn. Built in three stages (1885-87, 1889-91, and 1926-27), the Main Building and its two wings were designed by three architectural firms (Lamb & Rich, William B. Tubby, and John Mead Howells) in three harmonious, interrelated styles (Romanesque Revival, Renaissance Revival, and neo-Romanesque). As the heart of the Pratt campus, the Main Building with its wings is the most tangible symbol of the institution. Pratt Institute was founded by Charles Pratt for the training of artisans, foremen, designers, draftsmen, and other technicians. The school was an outgrowth of Pratt's interest in manual training and his belief that the best way to help others was to teach them how to help themselves. The type of technical training established at Pratt was unprecedented in the United States at that time. Charles Pratt (1830-1891) was born in Watertown, Massachusetts. In 1851 he moved to New York City and worked for the firm of Schenck & Downing, dealers in paints and oils. He joined the firm of Reynolds, Devoe & Pratt, which manufactured and sold paints and related products in 1854. In 1867, Pratt established the firm of Charles Pratt & Co. with the intention of marketing a less flammable kerosene for lighting, one that would have a flashing point of more than 100 degrees F. "Pratt's Astral Oil" gained a worldwide reputation*- and the firm began to manufacture tools, cans, petroleum barrels, and similar products. The Pratt Manufacturing Co. was founded to produce sulphuric acids and other chemicals used in petroleum refining. Pratt's interests were acquired by John D. Rockefeller of Standard Oil in 1874. At that time Pratt's refineries had a capacity of 1500 barrels of oil a day and were regarded as the most successful in the country. Pratt remained with the company and quickly became a major force at Standard Oil. Pratt, whose philanthropic interests were wide ranging, not only founded the Pratt Institute and its Free Library but also endowed the Adelphi Academy in Brooklyn, Amherst College, and the University of Rochester. He built the Astral Apartments, a model tenement development in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, near his oil refineries, and gave $100,000 towards the construction of Clinton Hill's Emmanuel Baptist Church, a designated New York City Landmark. Pratt had moved into the Clinton Hill area in the 1870s, building his large mansion at 252 Clinton Avenue in 1875. He also bestowed houses in the neighborhood as wedding presents for his sons, and all were built on Clinton Avenue after Charles Pratt's death in 1891. Pratt Institute opened on October 17, 1887, with a drawing class of twelve students. The drawing class led to the development of the Art Department. Other departments were the Department of Museums, the Women's Department which stressed domestic arts and science, the Department of Mechanic Arts which eventually became the School of Science and Technology, the Department of Music, the Department of Commerce,, the High School which stressed manual training, the Kindergarten Department, and the Library Department which developed out of a need for trained librarians for the Free Library. The high school closed in 1905 after manual training was introduced to public high schools, and the Kindergarten Department ended in 1917 when kindergarten was made mandatory in primary education. From its modest beginnings Pratt has developed into a major technical institute. Today there are approximately 4000 students in residence and over 30,000 alumni. The Main Building, formerly known as the Art and Industrial Building, was constructed in 1885-87. As the first campus building, it originally housed all the institute programs and courses. The architects were the New York firm of Lamb & Rich, established in 1882 by Hugh Lamb(1848-1903) and Charles A. Rich(1855-1943). Lamb, a native of Scotland, was in partnership with Lorenzo B. Wheeler between 1878 and 1882, designing many residential buildings on the Upper East Side in Manhattan. Rich, born in Beverly, Massachusetts, studied at Chandler Institute and Dartmouth College. Lamb & Rich executed many commercial and collegiate buildings including works at Barnard, Colgate, Dartmouth, Smith, Williams, and Amherst. They also enjoyed an active practice in residential architecture, designing houses in the Park Slope, Henderson Place, and Hamilton Heights Historic Districts in the Romanesque Revival, Queen Anne, and neo-Gothic styles. For Charles Pratt, they also designed the Astral Apartments, a pioneering model tenement project in Greenpoint. The Pratt Institute Main Building was designed by Lamb & Rich in the Romanesque Revival style popular in the 1880s and often used by the firm. The red bric
Iowa State Fair, Des Moines, 1930 Orelly and other artists
Info from the Iowa State Fair historian Bill Campfield, with thanks to Megan Baron of the current Iowa State Fair organisation: "The entertainment program presented in connection with the 1930 exposition was one of the most elaborate and varied ever planned by tile Iowa State Fair Board. The outstanding attraction was the National Air Show and Air Races, bringing together exhibits of all the newest developments in aircraft and many of the most famous flyers in America. Featured in the show were the Travelair “Mystery” Ship capable of a speed of over 300 miles an hour, the three ‘‘Flying Sons 0’ Guns,’’ who flew with their planes Tied together by ropes, the original St. Louis ‘‘Robin,’’ world’s endurance flight record ship, and a special display of airplane motors of all sizes and types .As in past years, two days of the fair were featured by automobile racing, August 22 and 29, while horse racing was the head line grandstand attraction on August 23, 25, 26, 27 and 28. Harness and running race entries this summer were the largest in recent years, and over $20,000 in purses was paid to winners in these five days’ events. ***Augmenting the afternoon and evening grandstand programs were fifteen diversified hippodrome and circus attractions, including some of the most popular acts of America and Europe*****. An added hippodrome feature was the presentation each day of ‘‘Mine,’’ Iowa Boys’ and girls’ own baby elephant, in her first public performances. On Children’s Day, ‘‘Mine’’ was presented with a permanent companion in the form of a pct donkey, at a special ‘‘birthday’’ party attended by over 12,000 youngsters"
flights from des moines to new york
The black-and-white photographs of the Farm Security Administration-Office of War Information Collection are a landmark in the history of documentary photography. The images show Americans at home, at work, and at play, with an emphasis on rural and small-town life and the adverse effects of the Great Depression, the Dust Bowl, and increasing farm mechanization. Some of the most famous images portray people who were displaced from farms and migrated West or to industrial cities in search of work. In its latter years, the project documented America's mobilization for World War II. Photo State capitol, Des Moines, Iowa 1940. Reprint is 14 in. x 20 in. on archival quality photo paper.