This is the home page of Madame H. and Exeter-West Greenwich Jr High French.
Use this site to find out everything you need to know about what is happening in your French class.
Pourquoi take French?
1. French provides the base for more than 50% of the modern English vocabulary, so learning French will greatly increase the number of English words you know.2. French as a foreign language is the second most frequently taught language in the world after English.
3. French is spoken as a native language in more than 24 countries on 5 continents. It is the 11th most common native language in the world, with 79 million native speakers and 190 million secondary speakers.
4. French is the language of the USA’s largest trading partner and RI’s closest foreign neighbor, Canada.
5. French companies generate some 700,000 jobs in the United States, including Bic, Dannon, Michelin, RCA-Thomson, L'Oréal, and Zenith.
6. French is a melodious and romantic language with a relatively quick learning curve.7. Get a head start on learning other Romance languages like Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian.8. Open the doors to art, music, fashion, food, architecture and literature.9. Discover a new appreciation for other cultures in countries that speak French like: France, Canada, Belgium, Switzerland,Monaco and many African nations.10. Use French to pursue studies in Francophone countries, through the University of Rhode Island's specialized degrees in French/Engineering, French/Textile Design, and French/Pharmacy.11. Promote language diversity throughout the world.12. Be more competitive in the national and international job market in disciplines like business, medicine, aviation, law,transportation technologies, global/international distribution and luxury goods.13. French is the official working language of the UN, NATO, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee, the EuropeanUnion, the International Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders and much more!14. Be IN CHARGE of your next family trip to Canada – you are the translator!