Blackpill Tithe Map 1844
The Oystermouth Tram Road, marked on this map, was relocated here in 1815, following erosion of parts of the line in its original location along the seashore and ran to the Castle Hill Terminus (today's Dairy Car Park).
The Mumbles Turnpike Road was not opened until 1826 and was sited next to the Tramway (railway) track.
In the 1890s, a sea wall was constructed from Blackpill to Oystermouth, as one part of a larger Mumbles Railway project comprising relocation, extension and the development of Mumbles Pier. The railtrack was repositioned on the site of the current promenade.