The Villa Medici was originally built in the early 1570s for Cardinal Ricci di Montepulciano and passed to Cardinal Ferdinando de’Medici In 1576. The rather plain main facade contrasts sharply with the richly decorated facade, which faces the garden, the work of the Florentine architect and sculptor Bartolommeo Ammanati. The villa stands on the site of the famous Gardens of Lucullus, which date back to the first century BCE. Since 1803 the Villa Medici has been the seat of the French Academy.
For more information about visiting the villa and its gardens, click here.