By Alison Needham
Chocolate, chocolate chips and peppermint? You can’t go wrong with these delectable cookies! Eat them straight out of the oven with a tall glass of milk. They’re exactly the kind of cookie that Santa would want on his plate, don't you think?
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks (or chips)
Small handful of crushed peppermint candies, or peppermint snow
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer) and beat together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and peppermint extract.
3. In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the butter mixture and beat until combined.
4. Stir in the chocolate chunks until evenly mixed.
Drop dough in 2 tablespoon portions (about 1/8 of a cup) 2 inches apart
on baking sheets. Sprinkle crushed peppermint over the top of each
6. Bake for 6-9 minutes, or until cookies are set on the edges. Carefully remove from baking sheet using a wide spatula and cool on wire racks.