Aga Research Group at UB
Our research involves the development and applications of conventional and innovative analytical techniques to study the environmental fate and transport of pesticides, industrial chemicals, and wastewater contaminants that are commonly found in surface and ground water. Some of the questions we aim to answer are:
1.) How fast and by what means do these chemicals degrade?
2.) What are the major breakdown products of these compounds in the environment?
3.) How do environmental conditions affect the persistence and mobility of these contaminants?
Analytical Chemistry plays a key role in our investigations to answer several fundamental questions in environmental chemistry. We use modern instruments such as LC/MS/MS, GC/MS/MS, ICP/MS, and CZE, in combination with immunochemical techniques as tools to study many important environmental processes. Development of effective sample preparation techniques such as solid-phase extraction (SPE), accelerated solvent extraction (ASE), and immunoaffinity chromatography are important in obtaining reliable results.
Diana S Aga Ph.D.
Henry M. Woodburn Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, New York 14260-3000 USA
Office: 611 Natural Sciences Complex
Phone: (716) 645-4220
- Ph.D. in Analytical and Environmental Chemistry, University of Kansas
- B.S. in Agricultural Chemistry, University of the Philippines at Los Baños
- 2011-present - Editor, Journal of Hazardous Materials (Elsevier)
- 2010-present - Professor of Chemistry, University at Buffalo
- 2006-2010 - Associate Professor of Chemistry, University at Buffalo
- 2002-2006 - Assistant Professor of Chemistry, University at Buffalo
- 2001-2002 - Research Scientist - Agriculture Division, Bayer Corporation
- 1998-2000 - Assistant Professor of Chemistry, University of Nebraska at Kearney
- 1991-1995 - Graduate Research Assistant - Water Resources Division, US Geological Survey
Fellowships and Awards:
- 2019 SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities
- Fulbright Fellowship - Ateneo de Manila University in the Philippines (June-December 2011)
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow - Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung, Berlin, Germany (2008)
- Visiting Research Fellow - Technical University of Munich at Weihenstephan, Germany (Summer 1997)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow - Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (EAWAG/ETH), Dübendorf, Switzerland (1996-1998)
Welcome to the website for the Aga Group. Check back often for updates. In the mean time, for questions, concerns, or comments; please contact us.