adapted from Gourmet
2 cups finely chopped Cucumber (about 3 Kirby cucumbers, or you can use regular cucumbers, just be sure to seed them first).
1/2 cup finely chopped Onion
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp. Sea Salt, divided
1/4 cup Agave Nectar
1 tsp. Arrowroot dissolved in 1 tsp. Water
- Toss the chopped cucumber and onions with 3/4 tsp. Sea Salt and place
in a fine mesh sieve over a bowl for about 3 hours (this will draw the
water out so your relish isn’t too wet), discard the liquid from the
bowl, rinse the salt from the cucumbers and onions then wrap them in a
cloth to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Bring apple cider vinegar, agave nectar and 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Boil until mixture is reduced 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Add cucumber/onion mixture to the brine and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the arrowroot/water mixture and simmer while stirring for 1 minute.
- Transfer relish to a bowl, uncovered and chill until cold, about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Relish should keep for 1 month in an airtight container in the fridge (I find the Pint-Size Glass Mason Jars to be perfect for this and I like using the Plastic Storage Caps instead of the metal lids, they’re not as messy and are easy to open).