1 cup Self-Rising Gluten-Free Cornmeal
3 Tbs. All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour (I used Tom Sawyer's)
1 Egg, beaten
2/3 cup Buttermilk
1 Tbs. Water
1 Tbs. Shortening, melted (Spectrum Shortening is my brand of choice)
- In a bowl, add the self-rising cornmeal and flour. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add the beaten egg, buttermilk, water and melted shortening or oil. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Grease an 8 or 9-inch baking pan (my grandmother always used a cast iron skillet).
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until
light golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes