2 Large Onions, peeled and sliced in rings
Enough Milk for soaking onions (dairy or dairy-free)
1 1/2 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. White Pepper
Gluten-Free Flour Blend (I used 1/2 cup Expandex Modified Tapioca Starch, 1/2 cup Sweet Rice Flour, 1/2 cup Soy or Garbanzo Bean Flour)
Oil for Frying
- Measure out your flours, salt and pepper in a bowl, use a whisk to incorporate all the dry ingredients.
- Meanwhile, put the sliced onion rings in a bowl and cover in milk, let soak while you prepare everything else.
- I put about an inch or so of oil in a dutch oven and
allowed it to get hot. You will know if the oil is ready by flicking a
few drops of water into the oil and if it sizzles, it's ready.
- I put a few of the pre-soaked onion rings (allow excess milk to drain off) into the bowl with the flour mixture. Stir to coat
- Place onions in the hot oil, a few at a time and allow to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Remove, drain and add extra salt if you want.
- Repeat until all of the onions have been cooked.