Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Pop Tarts
1 bag (3-1/2 cups) Pamela’s Gluten-Free Bread Mix (no yeast packet)
4 oz Butter (I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread).
4 oz Shortening (I used Palm Shortening).
¼ cup Ice Cold Water
Jam, Jelly or Pie Filling for filling the pastries
- Cut the butter and shortening into the Pamela's Gluten-Free Bread Mix
until well incorporated. Pea sized pieces of butter and flour should
remain. Use the paddle attachment on a heavy duty stand mixer and blend
for about 1 minute. Pour into mixture, ¼ cup ice cold water and mix
- Roll out dough between parchment paper. Cut dough into
pieces about 4-½ inches tall by 7-inches wide (you will be folding this
over to create a 4-½ inch tall by 3-½ inch wide tart). Roll dough to
about 2/8 or 3/8-inch thick.
- Place jam in the center of the dough, use a finger
with water to run around the edges so that the dough will stick
together, fold over and crimp the edges with a fork.
- To make your pastry shiny, simply brush the tops with Almond Milk (but any dairy-free milk will do). You can omit this step
entirely if you don’t plan on adding sugar or gluten-free sprinkles to
the tops, the milk (or egg-wash) gives the toppings something to stick to.
- Sugar to taste – large crystal sugar is fun (I used India Tree’s Nature’s Colors Decorating Sugar in Frost White,
if you click on each individual product link, you will be taken to
their spec sheet, with all the ingredient and allergen information).
- Bake at 350° for about 20 to 25 minutes. Edges should start to brown.