1 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread
2 1/4 cups packed Brown Sugar
2 cups MimicCreme Unsweetened Vegan Cream (or use So Delicious Coconut Milk if tree nuts are on your no-no list)
1/2 cup Honey
1/2 cup Lyle’s Golden Syrup
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla
- Line an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch cake pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.
- Generously butter the foil. If desired, sprinkle walnuts over bottom of pan. Set pan aside.
- In a 3-quart heavy saucepan, melt Earth Balance over low heat.
- Add the brown sugar, MimicCreme (or So Delicious Coconut Milk), honey and Lyle’s Golden syrup; mix well.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils.
- Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium; continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate,
stirring frequently, until the thermometer registers 248°F, firm-ball
heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil and watch temperature
carefully during the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking as temperature can
increase quickly at the end.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer.
- Quickly pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Let stand about 2 hours or until firm. When firm, use foil to lift it out of pan.
- Use a buttered knife to cut into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Store at room temperature.