GLASS CHIMNEY SHADES - GLASS CHIMNEY

GLASS CHIMNEY SHADES - NIKON ERROR PRESS SHUTTER RELEASE BUTTON AGAIN - POP UP FAMILY CABANA SUN WIND SHADE BEACH TENT SHELTER.

Glass Chimney Shades


glass chimney shades
    chimney
  • A glass tube that protects the flame of a lamp
  • A vertical channel or pipe that conducts smoke and combustion gases up from a fire or furnace and typically through the roof of a building
  • The part of such a structure that extends above the roof
  • a vertical flue that provides a path through which smoke from a fire is carried away through the wall or roof of a building
  • lamp chimney: a glass flue surrounding the wick of an oil lamp
  • A chimney is a structure for venting hot flue gases or smoke from a boiler, stove, furnace or fireplace to the outside atmosphere.
    shades
  • Cover, moderate, or exclude the light of
  • (shade) relative darkness caused by light rays being intercepted by an opaque body; "it is much cooler in the shade"; "there's too much shadiness to take good photographs"
  • Screen from direct light
  • (shade) shadow: cast a shadow over
  • Darken or color (an illustration or diagram) with parallel pencil lines or a block of color
  • sunglasses: spectacles that are darkened or polarized to protect the eyes from the glare of the sun; "he was wearing a pair of mirrored shades"
    glass
  • a brittle transparent solid with irregular atomic structure
  • A thing made from, or partly from, glass, in particular
  • Any similar substance that has solidified from a molten state without crystallizing
  • furnish with glass; "glass the windows"
  • a container for holding liquids while drinking
  • A hard, brittle substance, typically transparent or translucent, made by fusing sand with soda, lime, and sometimes other ingredients and cooling rapidly. It is used to make windows, drinking containers, and other articles
glass chimney shades - Aladdin Brushed
Aladdin Brushed Stainless Heritage Table Lamp - 10" #12 Glass Shade
Aladdin Brushed Stainless Heritage Table Lamp - 10" #12 Glass Shade
These special solid brass lamps were designed with the high tech era in mind, but without losing sight of the past. The lamps have been finished to a gleaming brushed stainless designed to complement the modern town home or a rustic mountain cabin. It features solid brass with stainless steel exterior. It has a 1 quart kerosene capacity. Lamp has a 24" overall height. It comes complete with Model 23 kerosene burner, heel-less chimney, mantle, and wick. You just need to add kerosene! The Model 12 style shade adds a touche of an era gone by. 10" glass shade is frosted on the upper 2/3, while the bottom ribbed band is clear, to allow maximum brightness.

87% (18)
2nd Bitting Building; Wichita, KS
2nd Bitting Building; Wichita, KS
Scanned image from an original print of the 1887 Kansas Atlas showing the larger and fancier Bitting Brothers store at 126 and 128 Douglas Ave in Wichita, KS. This building is confirmed to have been built by William Henry Sternberg (1832 - 1906). The location of this building was the same as the smaller "Keystone Clothing Store" owned by Charles and Alfred Bitting. The caption at the bottom of the image reads, "Bitting Brothers, One Price Clothiers, Hatters and Furnishers. 126 & 128 Douglas Ave. N.W. Corner Market Steet. Wichita, Kansas. Mail Orders Receive Prompt Attention". The interior image (lower portion of picture) shows many tables stacked with clothes and many glass display cases filled with goods. The ceilings and walls are decked out with swags, fancy wallpaper borders and plasterwork. The center support colums are each very stylish electric lights. Along the walls are some very ornate display cases (glass ones on the right and wooden drawers on the left). Not visible in this image is a telephone for public use on the wall. The center island cage says "Cashier" above the middle gentleman. This was the 1st floor main level of the store and a large staircase leads up to floors above. The exterior image (upper portion) shows horse drawn carriages in the dirt street and also a horse drawn trolley being pulled along rails. The advertisement on the roof of this trolley states, "Bitting Brothers One Price Clothiers East Douglas Avenue". These horse drawn trolleys were owned and operated by the Wichita Street Railway. Note the blocks of stone that have been layed next to the street (highlighted with notes in the photo). These were there for people to step out on when a carriage pulled up along side. Otherwise the drop down was fairly far, especially for the ladies. These blocks were chisled with the name, "Bitting Bros" facing out. One wonders sometimes the level of embellishment of these drawings, but all in all they appear to be quite accurate with virtually no embellishment at all. Bitting brothers indeed did advertise frequently on trolley cars and their trolley car advertising appears in other un-related old-time photos. This was not simply done for this Bitting store sketch. Also seen in the print is a fire hydrant, so fire protection had come a long way in just a short period of time vs. pressurized pumps on trucks (in the 1870s). In spite a fire hydrant being right next to this building it sustained a massive fire in the Winter of 1911 and was a complete loss. The idea of installing a water system with fire hydrants throughout the city was being discussed in Wichita as early as 1880. But it wasn't until 1882 that Wichita finally began working on installing an underground water system for fire supression. In this year, Wichita contracted with a St. Louis firm for laying a 14-inch main, six inch supply pipes and a total of 60 hydrants throughout the city. This system was finished and in operation by Spring of 1883. City water pressure in the 1880s was kept at about 40 pounds, but during a fire it was doubled to 80 pounds, but only if the Water Superintendent got notified that there was a fire so he could increase the pressure. More than a few times in the frenzy of a fire, the Water Superintendent was never notified and so water pressure didn't get increased and was inadequate to fight the fire resulting in unnecessary structural loss. The water department was "catching heat" for this lack of adequate pressure, but ultimately the fire department was to blame for failing to notify the water department. However, by the time the Bitting Building burned these issues had been worked out long before and a lack of pressure was not to blame of the complete loss of the Bitting Building. The materials and construction of the building was likely more to blame. Fire stops, which are now required in structures to stop the spread of a fire, were normally not worked into buildings at this time. And fire-proof materials didn't exist, either. Although both manual and automatic fire sprinkler systems did exist at this time (automatic ones since about 1875), they were not required in commercial buildings like are they are today - they were at the discretion of the building owner. If a fire sprinkler system was installed in a commercial building it was usually in a factory (where fires at the turn of the century were often catastrophic in terms of both human and property losses) vs. a retail store. Also a fire supression system is not visible in the image above. So there were several reasons that contributed to this disasterous fire. Fortunately, though, no one was hurt in the Bitting Building fire. No one was in the building. The fire happened in the middle of the night. Wichita residents went to work the next cold winter day surpirsed by the scene of the four exterior walls being covered with huge ice cicles
28-02 West Drive
28-02 West Drive
Douglaston Historic District, Douglaston, Queens, New York City, New York, United States Date: 1907 Architect: George Keister Original Owner: Mrs. May S. Miner Type: Freestanding house Style: Arts and Crafts Structure/material: Frame with clapboard and wood shingle siding Notable building features: Hipped roof with intersecting gables; exposed stucco chimney; partially recessed, enclosed porch, recessed with wide columns and scrolled modillions; projecting two-story, pedimented bay; two-story angled bay on west facade; windows with historic multi-pane and diamond-pane sash. Notable site features: House faces West Drive; mature trees; herringbone brick walkway; perimeter hedge; stucco-covered garden wall with curving top and brick coping; cobblestone curb. INTRODUCTION The Douglaston Historic District contains more than 600 houses set along landscaped streets on a mile-long peninsula extending into Little Neck Bay, at the northeastern edge of Queens adjoining Nassau County. Its history over the past four centuries ranges from a native American settlement to an eighteenth-century farm, a nineteenth-century estate called Douglas Manor, and an early twentieth-century planned suburb, also called Douglas Manor. The Douglaston Historic District encompasses the entire Douglas Manor suburban development, plus several contiguous blocks. Most of the houses in the proposed district date from the early- to mid-twentieth century, while a few survive from the nineteenth century, and one from the eighteenth century. The landscape includes many impressive and exotic specimen trees planted on the mid-nineteenth-century estate, as well as a great white oak, located at 233 Arleigh Road, believed to be 600 years old. Douglaston's location on a peninsula jutting into Flushing Bay at the eastern border of Queens County is an important factor in establishing the character of the district. The very early buildings surviving in the district include the c.1735 Van Wyck House, the c. 1819 Van Zandt manor house (expanded in the early twentieth century for use as the Douglaston Club), and the Greek Revival style c. 1848-50 Benjamin Allen House. Much of the landscaping, including the specimen trees, survives from the estate of Douglas Manor, established by George Douglas and maintained by his son William Douglas. Most of the houses in the historic district were built as part of the planned suburb of Douglas Manor, developed by the Rickert-Finlay Company, that was part of the residential redevelopment of the Borough of Queens following its creation and annexation to the City of Greater New York in 1898. A set of covenants devised by the Rickert-Finlay Company helped assure a carefully planned environment, including a shorefront held in common, winding streets following the topography of the peninsula, and single-family houses ranging in size from substantial mansions along Shore Road on the west to more modest cottages closer to Udalls Cove on the east. The houses of the historic district, which are representative of twentieth-century residential architecture, were designed in a variety of styles including the many variants of the Colonial Revival, many houses in the English manner incorporating Tudor Revival, English cottage, and Arts and Crafts motifs, as well as the Mediterranean Revival. In most cases, they were designed by local Queens architects, including over a dozen who lived in Douglaston itself. The district includes three houses of the Craftsman type pioneered by Gustav Stickley. Eight of the houses in the district were designed by Josephine Wright Chapman, one of America's earliest successful women architects, and they constitute an important body of her work. The Douglaston Historic District survives today as an important example of an early twentieth-century planned suburb adapted to the site of a nineteenth-century estate. The stylistically varied suburban residences, the distinctive topography, the landscaped setting, and the winding streets create a distinct sense of place and give the district its special character. HISTORICAL AND ARCHITECTURAL BACKGROUND OF THE DOUGLASTON HISTORIC DISTRICT Native American and Colonial antecedents The Native American presence on the Little Neck peninsula today known as Douglaston included the Matinecoc,1 one of a group on western Long Island linked by culture and language to others in the area surrounding Manhattan Island (including the Nayack, Marechkawieck, Canarsee, Rockaway, and Massapequa). A number of finds from those settlements have been identified at various sites on the peninsula.2 The Matinecoc, who fanned the peninsula and apparently also produced wampum, were summarily evicted in the 1660s by Thomas Hicks, later Judge Hicks, in what has been described as the only such seizure of property recorded in Flushing town records. In the 1930s, according to local histories, a Matinecoc burial ground was destroyed to make way for a widening of Northern Bou

glass chimney shades
Comments