Reg II, Ins 4
lies along the south side of the Via dell'Abbondanza on the northern
boundary of Regio II, just north west of the Amphitheatre.
The insula contains one major property, the House of Julia Felix,
which, together with its associated buildings, occupies most of the
insula. The house was excavated in the middle of the 18th century and
again in 1936 and 1953. The private part of the dwelling is articulated
around 2 atria which lead to a luxurious porticoed garden. An
impressive property and well worth a visit.
Plan of the Insula..
A. House of Julia Felix
Full List of Properties
Name or Description
| Area (Sq.m)
| No of Rooms
Decoration and Comments
|| Shop at No.1. Back room. Plaster remnants. Stairs up at No.2.
| House of Julia Felix
| Large property to be rented out as two separate parcels. Shop with living quarters. Extensive private baths suite including apodyterium, tepidarium, laconicum and caldarium. Storage area at No.4 with ramp down to praefurnium for bath complex. Shop at No.5. Entrance to baths complex at No. 6.
The property includes a thermopolium at No. 7. Marble counter. Back room. Side room on east side with triclinium, stone seating and tables.
Tour of the Insula
examine a featured building in more detail, select it from the above
list. Where there is more than one property of interest in the insula,
the buildings are arranged in order of reference number, which may not
necessarily be the route chosen when actually visiting the site.