ACTCA AGM Minutes 2020
ACTCA Annual General Meeting
1 October 2020
Hellenic Club, Moore St, Canberra City, ACT
Meeting opened 6:06 pm
Cam Cunningham (President), Paul Dunn (Treasurer), Miles Patterson (Vice President), Shaun Press (Secretary), Malik Amer, Harry Press, Roy Teymant, Victor Braguine, Bernard Gibson, Brad Archer.
3. Previous Minutes
Accepted (Moved M. Patterson, Seconded P. Dunn)
4. Matters Arising
Proposed changes to the constitution to be voted on at this meeting. Membership list still be be published on website (Action: Paul Dunn, Shaun Press)
5. Presidents Report
The President gave a verbal report. Highlights included the holding of the 2019 Doeberl Cup, 2019 ANU Open, 2019 Viking weekender. The 2020 ACT Lightning Championships and 2020 ACT Championships were also held, before events were halted due to Covid-19. The President also noted the continued financial support from the ACT Government.
6. Treasurers Report
The Treasurer presented his report (financial statements attached). The accounts have been audited. The report was accepted (Moved M. Patterson, Seconded H. Press)
7. Junior Chess League Report
Brad Archer (ACTJCL President) gave a verbal report. The ACTJCL held a very successful 2019 Australian Schools Teams Chess Championship, and thanked Kate Woodley (ACTJCL Secretary) for organising this event.
8. Election of Office Bearers
S.Press took the chair
All positions were filled by the sole nomination
President – Cam Cunningham (Nominated M. Patterson, Seconded P.Dunn)
C. Cunningham resumed the chair
Vice President – Miles Patterson (Nom. S.Press, Sec. P. Dunn)
Secretary – Shaun Press (Nom. P. Dunn, Sec M.Patterson)
Treasurer – Paul Dunn (Nom. R. Teymant, Sec. C. Cunningham)
Junior Delegate – Vacant (To be appointed by ACTCA Council)
Public Officer – Paul Dunn (Nom. C. Cunningham, Sec. M.Patterson)
9. Other Business
Proposed change to Constitution regarding General Meeting Quorum
30. General meetings - procedure and quorum
(1) No item of business shall be transacted at a general meeting unless a quorum of members entitled under these rules to vote is present during the time the meeting is considering that item.
(2) Ten members present in person (being members entitled to vote under these rules at a general meeting) constitute a quorum for the transaction of the business of a general meeting.
(3) If within half an hour after the appointed time for the commencement of a general meeting a quorum is not present, the members present (being not less than five) shall constitute a reduced quorum and the general meeting shall proceed.
(4) If a decision (a reduced quorum decision) is made on a motion while a reduced quorum was present for the consideration of the motion, within 14 days after the meeting the secretary must notify the members of the reduced quorum decision.
(5) A reduced quorum decision takes effect 28 days after the decision was made, subject to this section.
(6) A reduced quorum decision is disallowed if, within 28 days after the decision was made, the secretary is given a petition requiring that the decision be disallowed signed by a majority of members entitled to vote on the relevant motion at the time of signing (whether or not they were present or entitled to vote on the motion at the general meeting at which the decision was made).
(7) If within half an hour after the appointed time for the commencement of a general meeting a reduced quorum is not present, the meeting if convened upon the requisition of members, shall be dissolved, and in any other case shall stand adjourned to the same day of the following week at the same time and (unless another place is specified at the time of the adjournment by the person presiding at the meeting or communicated by written notice to members given before the day to which the meeting is adjourned) at the same place.
(8) If at the adjourned meeting a quorum is not present within half an hour after the time appointed for the commencement of the meeting, the members present (being not less than five) shall constitute a quorum.
Proposed change to Constitution regarding member clubs
In Section 11 of the ACTCA Constitution the words ‘Belconnen Chess Club’ be replaced by ‘Gungahlin Chess Club’
Change in format for the ACT Chess Championship
Motion: To defer this ACTCA Council for further discussion. Moved: M. Patterson Second: Paul Dunn Motion passed
Brad Archer raised the possibility of holding an event in Canberra in January in place of the Australia Open/Junior. No action by the ACTCA required at this stage.
10. Meeting Closed