1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
3/4 cup sliced strawberries, divided
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375F with a rack in the top third of the oven. Generously butter the inside of an 8-inch square baking dish.
2. In a bowl, mix together the vanilla bean seeds and sugar, being sure to smash the vanilla bean seeds into the sugar, distributing them evenly. Add the oats, salt and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the the milk, egg, and melted butter.
4. Arrange the strawberries in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, reserving 1/4 cup for the topping. Cover the fruit with the oat mixture. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Gently give the baking dish a couple thwacks on the countertop to make sure the milk moves through the oats. Scatter the remaining strawberries across the top.
5. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.